hydraulic brake questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkey

i won some hydraulic brakes on ebay today, front and rear mecatech 2 piston calipers, and it coming with the aluminum uprights front and rear. i just have a few questions about them i cant seem to find elsewhere

1)what type of brake fluid should i use? mecatech seems to have their own green stuff, however i know fg stuff will be easier to get. will the fg stuff work alright? is there some other substitute, like dot 4 or dot 5, or stuff for a mountain bike?

2)how much servo do hydraulic brakes require? what abut running both master cylinders off one servo?

3)the only place i see replacement parts for the mecatech onroad stuff is fg supply. does anyone know if the mecatech brake kit for the hpi baja shares any of the same parts? mainly concerned about brake pads, i know rotors will be different. what about seals/master cylinder rebuild parts?

right now ive got a hitec 645mg running my front brakes and a standard plastic gear servo for throttle/rear brake, so ill need to upgrade at least that. i know more is always better as far as servos go, however id prefer not to have to buy $250 in servos. wouldnt mind upgrading to digital anyways, thinking hitec 5645 would work, but am a little unsure. the reason i ask about both master cylinders on one servo is i was thinking of a hitec 7955 or something in that range just to run the brakes, and keep my standard servo just for throttle duties.

as it sits im using a y harness to control throttle/brakes on channel 2, and killswitch on channel 3, so brake bias is all mechanical at this point. my radio does channel mixing, so i could set it up to set brake bias on the fly, however this would require me to get a different kill switch. any thoughts on this, is adjusting bias on the fly really needed?

any help would be appreciated.

that helps, thanks for the link. now i know its gotta be mineral based brake fluid, kinda what i expected. ill have to check to see what my bike stuff is, or ill just have to swipe some from the import shop next to my shop.

i know i can get the servos set up and working the way i want without digital or a programmer, however im just real unsure how strong a servo ill need. there seems to be very little info on this, aside from guys saying its real nice to have 350+ oz/in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks