If you own a Hitec servo, this is a must-read!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip

I live in Michigan and in the winter I like to run my FG's in the snow. That's a problem if you have any Hitec "Water and Dust Resistant" servos. This thread is about what goes wrong and how to fix the problem before you smoke that $125+ servo the way I have.

I've had 6 Hitec digital servos and they all have the same problem, I keep blowing them up. If you have a servo that is getting to be a few months old, you will have this problem as well.

Lets begin.
I have been having problems with all of my Hitec digital servos, they keep going up in smoke. Here is where all of them melt the lower portion of the case.
MTlayshaft.jpg
If you look on the side of the case, this is what was causing all the problems... In the circled area is one of the factory installed O-Rings, the arrows are pointing to where the O-Rings are missing. The bottom arrow was a mistake, sorry.
MTlayshaft052-1.jpg

After I rubbed the O-Ring with my finger it broke in another place.
MTlayshaft049.jpg

Here is another pic, this was taken so you can see the servo it happened to...
MTlayshaft050.jpg

You can see how small the Gasket really is.
MTlayshaft048.jpg

Here is what happens when water gets in past the faulty O-Rings...
MTlayshaft046.jpg

Hitec uses 3 O-Rings to "Seal" up their 7955 servo, while this is great when the servos are new, but as the servo ages the O-Rings breakdown and rot. I didn't realize how bad this problem was until I tore all 6 of my $100+ servos apart. They are all burnt up in the same spot. Any R/C that burns fuel is going to have this problem from the exhaust gases and oils eating the neoprene that the seals are made from. My problem was water, but dust and dirt will get in there too.

So my suggestion is if you have a Digital or "Dust/Water Resistant" Hitec servo, pull it out of your rig and seal it up correctly, because Hitec doesn't use a quality seal.

Seal yours up before this happens to you because Hitec WILL NOT WARRANTY your servo if this happens! Trust me, I have 5 that were sent back from them! They will insist you buy another one, or you can do what I did and buy an Airtronics 94780... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWDH9&P=7 More torque and it's 2 bucks cheaper, plus Airtronics servos have never blown up on me! :celebrate:

I know it's not Hitec's fault, :lol:they just build them, test them, research them, etc, but I guess they never have had them for more than 6 mos?

Anyway,
How to seal your $125.00 servos the way Hitec should have...

• Take the servo apart by removing the bottom 4 screws and gently slide the cases apart slightly. You don't need to disassemble the servo completely for this procedure, just separate the case about .125" or an eighth of an inch (3mm).
  • Now apply a thin bead of silicone or red RTV gasket sealer to take the place of the janky O-Rings. You can use any color silicone you wish, I like to use white so I can see if I missed any spots. Apply this sparingly, you don't need to bust out the caulk-gun for this.
  • Allow the silicone to setup for about 1/2 hour and then reassemble the case being sure not to over tighten the screws and blow out the bottom of the servo case...

After reassembly you can cut off the excess silicone with a razorblade or an X-Acto blade.

For the ultimate seal, wrap the outside of the servo seals with 2 layers of electrical tape, that will seal it up quite well. You can also blob a spot of silicone, grease, Vaseline or any other water repellent substance on the servo spline under the horn. Then cover everything with a shot of "Camp Dry", that's how I used to seal up my servos back in the old days.

I can't believe this has to be done to a "Premium Servo" I haven't done this since back in the 80's when there was no such thing as a waterproof/resistant servo. As far as I am concerned, this is something I should NOT have to do on a 125 dollar servo! I don't have to do this with my other name-brand servos!

C'mon Hitec, get with the program.

Last edited:
great Info, ironically, last week I smoked 2 hitecs, and both are premium ones, 7955 and 5805. And I think both had sealing problem but I never thought of it until I saw this thread, thanks for the info. I will make sure to seal the 7950 & 7955 which I still have.

one great option here is to use Dielectric Grease. take the bottom part off the servo, and fill the entire cavity with Dielectric Grease. water cant get it, if the openings are full of Dielectric.

Good Write up Trip. hopefully this will help save some high dollar servos.

Dielectric grease is fine, but these Hitecs have an aluminum center heatsink, you have to seal the seams above the heatsink as well as the lower cover.

My car went completely under water one day, and both 5755's and 5745's have survived till a recent run in the snow.

Need to examine the dead servo to be sure, but I bet that's what's fouled it.

Cheers for heads up Trip!!

Sure, no problem...

The point of this thread isn't necessarily, why your servo is now blown, it's how to save your 125 dollar servo before it blows!

If this thread can save just one members servo, then it's worth the time I put into making the thread! I really hope people take this seriously and check out their radio gear! If you tear your servos out and see the O-Rings are shot, post up a pic and let us know about it.

The steering servo is easy to inspect in the FG's because the servo-body is mounted above the top plate...

This affects Rhino servos as well. They are all made by Mulitplex.

Good luck guys!

Trip..

Last edited:
You can get a spray laquer to coat the PCB and waterproof it (£5 a can from Maplin in the UK) rather than fill the full servo with dielectric grease. Might be worth doing as a secondary measure.

Has anyone found this oring issue with there older 5745's or 805BB's. I have several older ones and have had them apart several times without the oring issue. Do you think this has something to do with there newer servos and maybe a change in oring supplier?

Could be, good point BTB... I know my first 5745 puked in the spring of 08 about a year after I bought it. It didn't have the O-Ring issue, but the other 5745 did and it was made in 08/08 according to the sticker on the case. Same as the last 7955 I showed in the pics above...

Nope, because my steering servo was replaced at the same time as the 7955 and the O-Rings in that are fine for now... I don't think it was the spray, it's just silicone.

seen a video someplace on youtube where a guy used stuff like plastidip spray.

he caoted the servos with it, now i know you cant cover up that midsection on the one with the heatsink, but couldnt you use that stuff to cover the top and bottom portions up to and just over the seals?

maybe only catch the first fin on top0 and bottom past the seals to seal them.

opinions??
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu4muQWNwxM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu4muQWNwxM[/ame]

also that grease thats talked about, i ordered some off ebay made for hitec servos and 1 other point don't use the clear plastidip, use the black stuff.

Last edited:
Could use liquid electric tape at the joint between the two pieces as well

Sent from da lower level iPhone using wanna Tapdatshit

that or just use a brush with plastidip and brush it on top and bottom seams.

i got a 7955 and a 5755 hitec coming with the 4pks radio i ordered from DDM so i will be poppin the tops, greasin that outpu shafts, with some made for hitech servos grease i am getting off ebay, and prolly using either the plastidip brushed on or liquidtape brushed on the seams to finish sealing them.

still might not end up looking pretty when done, but at least the servos wont fry cuz of water. the 7955 cost me over 100 and the 5755 around 90, so almost 200 in servos goin POOF! is not a option.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks