ignition problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALIC

Hi,

I tried to start my baja for the first time in 7 months but is not starting, so i did the basic checkings and discovered theres no spark, so i changed the plug For a new one but still no spark. I then thought it might be the coil but the coil that am using is new and i only used it twice abt 7 months go? So i bought a new one but still no luck. Is there any thing else thats causing this? I also checked the stop button/wiring but they r fine... I did notice that the fly wheel had some secrachs on it but could that be the issue? Am sure i installed the coiled correctly as it worked before and used a credit card for the spacing ect..

Any help will be great

Thanks guys

Put a screwdriver on the magnetic side of your flywheel mate.If its lost the magnetism(cue Dwarfy!) you'll need a new flywheel.
1 disconnect the stop button.
2 make sure the coil gap is correct(credit card space)
Is the plug cap on correct?
4 Is the plug knackered?

Try these first.
J;)

Yes the spacers are there... The fly wheel has two magnets right? Positive and nagative? One is pulling the screw driver and one isint? Is that ok?

Try cleaning the magnetic contacts on the flywheel and coil. They probably have a light rusting on them preventing good contact with being stood for 7mths. Using a credit card will leave too big a gap to get any spark so reset the coil gap to 0.3mm when you put it back together (use a business card, header card off parts pack or ideally a feeler gauge) and you should be good to go with your new plug. Make sure you use new fuel mix just to be on the safe side rather than 7mth old fuel left in the tank (if its still in there!).

Last edited:
Thanx dwarfy, il try thiner card... The fly wheel has no rust and i did use new fuel.. I will c how it goes... Btw can i disconnect the stop button and test for spark? Or will that cause problems?

Thanx dwarfy, il try thiner card... The fly wheel has no rust and i did use new fuel.. I will c how it goes... Btw can i disconnect the stop button and test for spark? Or will that cause problems?

You can disconnect the stop button - just make sure you re-connect it before you actually start the engine!! I reckon its the gap thats too big if you've used a credit card (post a pic & we tell you whether it right or not) - try a piece of card then try firing it up & see what happens. Have you got fuel in the primer bulb BTW?

Yes i did have petrol in the bulb but i drained it now as i don't want the engine to flood when testing for spark...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks