I've ripped skin off my knuckles, hurt my back, and my forearm is cramping......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

702Shooter

...And I still can't get this damn thing started. :(

R/C is supposed to be fun, not painful.

Had the truck running for about 10 minutes then decided to take it over a few jumps. First jump didn't go so well. Although it must have caught a good 8 feet of air, once it landed the air filter came off.

I've but it back together but have been unable to start it again since.

I've pulled the spark plug, cleaned it, blew the carb out with an air compressor, then tried again. Repeat 2 more times.

Pulled spark plug, gave it a little squirt of WD-40, and tried again.....Twice.

No go.

Any suggestions?

Do they make an electric start for these things?

FG MT with 30CC engine.

Hmm. Are you getting spark? Gas? (is plug wet when you pull it?) You need to give us more details and I'm sure we can figure it out together.

Not sure if I am getting spark or not. Plug was wet the first time but after cleaning and trying again it has not come out wet.

I'm new to 1/5 and gas R/C so I'm not sure what info to provide you that will make a difference...But if you ask questions, I will give you the best answers I can.

Thanks for your assistance.

In some bash sessions when jumping or crashing the plug will crack internally at the rod. You probably broke the plug. Use a new one. If you don't have one, remove the plug and pull it over. You should be able to see the spark. The other item could be the shut off button getting stuck in.

In some bash sessions when jumping or crashing the plug will crack internally at the rod. You probably broke the plug. Use a new one. If you don't have one, remove the plug and pull it over. You should be able to see the spark. The other item could be the shut off button getting stuck in.

LOL...Well I pulled the spark plug as suggested and tried to turn it over. We can now add "Electrocuted" to my list of today's experiences.

I think it's safe to say the plug is in working condition. It was wet again when I pulled it this time.

First, understand that unless that engine (30cc) was built by a knowledgeable builder (Like ESP), it may be a female dog to start anyways. To get that displacement you will need to either have it built by someone that knows how to do the proper mods (like ESP) or stack a bunch of base gaskets, which is more common. The latter throws the timing off quite a bit, and makes for a pretty tough engine to start.

With that, go back and recheck the carb settings, get a new plug to be safe, choke it, pull the pull start 2-3 times (its not a chainsaw, so you really only need to pull about 12-14 inches, any more and you get the sore back and arm). Turn the choke off, and give it a few more pulls, if it does not start in several pulls, stop, because it aint gonna start.

Check the plug, if its soaked, then there is another issue. Check around the base gasket and see if it's intact, actually, check all the gaskets, mainly the intake side, if all is good, then read on, and unfortunately, I suspect maybe something worse.

So you mentioned that the air filter came off during jumping, how long was it running after the air filter came off? What kind of conditions were you running in? Really dusty, fine dirt, rocks, sand?

Not to jump to the worst case scenario, but dependent on the above questions, you may have killed the motor. The easiest way to check on this, is to pull the intake and exhaust and see if there is any visible scoring on the piston, if there is, then chances are you will need a new top end, if its all good, then its time to track someone down local to you for a hand.

Rocks, sand, dirt, gravel. Probably ran for 2 or 3 minutes after the jump before I noticed the air filter. The engine is Zenoah and it has a ported and polished head.

I've just spent about 4 hours between the local hobby shop and then working with 2 guys at auto zone. Nobody can make it fire. We replaced the fuel lines but the plug keeps coming up dry. The only ignition we get is when we spray some starting fluid directly into the engine. It's acting like it's not getting any fuel at all.

u may have sucked dirt though the carb and tore up the cylinder. don't use ether on these u may have made things worse. there is no lubrication when its used. i would pull the cylinder and check for damage.

Yup, I am gonna say that the top end is toast. Time to pull the top end and see whats up. With that sort of debris getting sucked in, I would bet that the piston/cylinder is done for.

2-3 minutes in those conditions with a MT body on. Yup I'd say toast. But what you can also try is taking apart the carb too. You said you blew it out but tiny particles could be stuck inside the carb as well. For $40 you can get a new carb as a spare.

Hope this helps!

Ahhh, The head gasket or case gasket? Did you just tighten the bolts back down? Or did you replace the gaskets?

It's the head gasket. I don't have a spare so I just tightened it down to see if that would solve the issue.

The truck is running OK today but the gasket is still leaking. I ordered a complete set of gaskets from Oneil Bros today. I might as well replace them all just to be sure.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks