Just picked up a used baja 5b. Need to get it running

Thread starter #1
It’s my dads old baja, but he doesn’t know what’s wrong with it, if anything.

Anyway, I figure step one is see if I can get it started.

But my first issue is the pull starter. It pulls fine and retracts, but it seems like it only engages the flywheel on the motor every now and then, ideally I’d like this to feel more solid before I go any further.

And sometimes a whole pull won’t engage it at all.

Anyone know how I’d find some more info on this?

Ive attached pictures of the flywheel and the pawl, I believe maybe these two items may be worn down? Not sure.
I’ve ordered another pullstart on amazon but I can’t find a flywheel anywhere.

Anyone know where I can get parts for this in Canada? Seems like no one even carries the Baja anymore. Is this a dying hobby?

Attachments

Thread starter #3
Yeah that was my thinking. Frustrated I can’t just get down to the hobby shop and buy this stuff. So I’m waiting on delivery.

I actually just purchased a flywheel as well from eBay. So I should be able to solve this in the end. Maybe just the new starter will work tho. I’ll see.

evssv

if u got a new wheel fit that aswell.(y)..as it looks like the ends r quite worn on ur one .:unsure:....and yeah most model shops r crap now u'll find....only stocking very limited parts .....:(

Thread starter #5
if u got a new wheel fit that aswell.(y)..as it looks like the ends r quite worn on ur one .:unsure:....and yeah most model shops r crap now u'll find....only stocking very limited parts .....:(
Yeah it’s really a crappy scene out there. Where do you get your parts?