King Motor Baja upgrades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

Hello all, Old guy here and new to 1/5 scale gas RC. Just picked up a 1/5 scale King motor baja a few weeks ago and have already upgraded the clutch support and diff housing to billet aluminum. Blew the plastic diff housing. Also broke the plastic mounting tab support for the brake assembly that is bolted on the motor. Went with an enclosed billet clutch support with the brake tab milled into it. So far so good on these parts. Unfortunately on Saturday I broke the left rear dog bone axle. My question is what do you guys think would be a good axle upgrade to the stock dog bones? Has anyone upgraded to the CV axles and are they any better? Should I just stay with the stock ones and let them be the week link? Cheap and easy to replace. By the way this thing is a beast. Loud and sassy and heavy. One other thing, Every time i look for a remote kill switch is always says out of stock. Any tips on locating one would be helpful. I searched the links in this thread and they are out of stock. Thanks for tolerating my rambling.

Update on upgrades. So far its the enclosed billet aluminum clutch support. Machined aluminum breather. Triton remote kill switch. Billet transmission with billet diff housing. 9mm dog bones. Look huge over the stock 6mm ones. and heavy duty drive cups and axle cups. Everything went together nicely so got it ready to take a rip. All went well for the first half tank of fuel then it just stopped. Motor ran fine but no movement from the buggy. I just hung my head and told myself. I was going to find the next weakest link. Well I did. What would cause the spur gear to do that? Just being plastic? Checked the tranny and its still buttery smooth. Just seems like the spur gear decided to go.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Almost looks like the gear is coming off the carrier. Is the spacer behind the spur gear?
It sure is. One thing I didn't take note of was the spur and pinion alignment before I put the new clutch support on. But did notice the the spur was offset out from the clutch pinion about 1/16" My manual doesn't show if anything was between the clutch pinion and the clutch bell its self, that would maybe space it out that 1/16 or so?

Spacer is in the spur. Nothing on the pinion. I ordered a shim kit from DDM and a aluminum lay shaft carrier brake carrier bracket. And a couple new spur gears. I do have noticeable play on the pinion. Hopefully I can shim it out so it aligns with the spur gear?

Update on upgrades. So far its the enclosed billet aluminum clutch support. Machined aluminum breather. Triton remote kill switch. Billet transmission with billet diff housing. 9mm dog bones. Look huge over the stock 6mm ones. and heavy duty drive cups and axle cups. Everything went together nicely so got it ready to take a rip. All went well for the first half tank of fuel then it just stopped. Motor ran fine but no movement from the buggy. I just hung my head and told myself. I was going to find the next weakest link. Well I did. What would cause the spur gear to do that? Just being plastic? Checked the tranny and its still buttery smooth. Just seems like the spur gear decided to go.

View attachment 90067

View attachment 90068

View attachment 90069

View attachment 90070

Looks like there was grease on the gears?
Ive been hpi guy for years and years but I have extra engines and electronics laying around. Ordered a KM001 roller and will do a build on it here. 😃

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks