KM 2Speed Transmission Not Shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eholmesj

I have recently purchased a KM 2 speed and have read all the threads about adjusting the gear screws for shifting, but once I take the cover off I can't locate the screws. Can someone post a picture or video and tell me exactly what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are looking at the two speed you will see the outside gear has what appears to be an aluminum hub in the center of the gear, this is actually a clutch that engages second gear as the gear RPM increases. Now look at the outside gear and you will notice it has a lip that the aluminum clutch sits inside of. Spin the gear slowly and locate the hole in that lip. Once you have located the hole in the lip you can spin the aluminum clutch slowly until you see a small screw through the hole in the lip. That is your adjustment screw, tightening it should bring the 2nd gear shift higher and loosening should lower it. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREW, what your actually adjusting is spring tension on the clutch, if you over tighten the screw you will damage the spring assembly. I will see about making a video if this does not make any sense.

Also while your are messing with your two speed do yourself a favor, remove the screws that hold your spur, and pinion gears apply BLUE, NOT RED BUT BLUE loctite to the screws and put them back in. This will prevent them from backing out while you are running the car.

Still cant find it!

OK gentlemen,

I took off the cover but still could not locate the hole through which I should be able to see the adjustment screw.

Remove the aluminium hub and set the screws. Remember the loctite when replacing - just a drop!
I have given up on my 2 speeds, removed one on the 5T and "altered" the 5B to a single gear running on the 2nd gear-hope it makes sense. That results in a slower pull away but after 20meters the fun starts - great for beach bashing.

"altered" the 5B to a single gear running on the 2nd gear-hope it makes sense. That results in a slower pull away but after 20meters the fun starts - great for beach bashing.

Can you post a pic of that? I'd like to do that on my KM. The two speed is garbage and I've got plenty of HP, so I'd like to ditch the low gear.

{Originally Posted by PHR View Post
"altered" the 5B to a single gear running on the 2nd gear-hope it makes sense. That results in a slower pull away but after 20meters the fun starts - great for beach bashing.}

I have done this as well and it works great.

the bell housing on large gear has a hole on its side, you have to rotate the middle part till the scew shows up in the hole, there will be one for each half of the clutch so u have to rotate agin to other screw. you have to adjust those screws evenly. i had to adjust mine a bit to time when 2nd gear kicks in

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks