Km 30.5 vs cy26rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhilly82

Well I have been having problems getting my motor started. I was thinking I may of worn out the cyl. Well I was getting ready to order a new head kit so I tore the motor down and found that the case was cracked by the crank seal. So I will be getting a new motor.

Now for my question how will a cy26rc perfourm vs the km30.5. I am tight on funds but can get this motor now. Will the power be on par with the 30.5. I know it's rated at 3hp with the stock can. And I have seen post were people say the km motor has from 2-5hp with the pipe on it.

When I had to change engines on my KM I went with the 4 bolt Zen just because it is a good building block for the future if you ever want more power and is only $100 more than the 2 bolt CY option. As for power the difference between the G290RC that I put in and the KM 30.5 is night and Day the Zen has way more torque and has always started on the 2nd pull for 4-5 gallons now. IMO 4 bolt is the way to go if you don't want problems down the road.

Brian

When I had to change engines on my KM I went with the 4 bolt Zen just because it is a good building block for the future if you ever want more power and is only $100 more than the 2 bolt CY option. As for power the difference between the G290RC that I put in and the KM 30.5 is night and Day the Zen has way more torque and has always started on the 2nd pull for 4-5 gallons now. IMO 4 bolt is the way to go if you don't want problems down the road.

Brian

I picked up a cy26rc from ddm. They way i look at it, I can use it as a building block because the crank case can be replaced with a 4 bolt one for $48 and now i will have the good components to bolt onto that with the cy.

I do wish I could afford a 4 bolt right now, but it would be the end of july before i could get one. The stock cy will get me to winter then i may build it up from there.

so you are going to buy the cy26rc now and then this winter go with the zenoah 4 bolt?

Yea, I will have 4 months to collect parts, plus i can't run them in the winter since i am in alaska during the winter.

I ran into a few problems doing the swap, on the motor plate were you have the 2 bolts with the aluminum washer things, i can only get one bolt in, is this normal? Its were the 2 bolts are on the underside on the pull start side. its just will not line up and i can only see about 1/4 of the bolt hole. Then the triangle brace that on the same side that is were the body mount and roll cage mounts to then to the engine, it does not have the room to bolt in. Do i just need a hpi one?

the mounting should just line right up,chassis may have been tweeked a bit with runs and jumps etc. sometimes you have to tweek the chassis to get everything to line up, i had to have some one sort of spread the chassis grabbing the front and rear and pushing them apart so i could line up some of the holes,

The zen clutch holder and the fan shroud is different from the Cy motor that comes with the KM you can remove the fan shroud and the clutch holder from your old motor and mount on to the new motor and everything will line back up.

i ended up getting the holes to line up. I used a c clamp and got it into place. It also freed up my mesh a little, it was a little on the tight side. should of got all the screws hand tighten first but i was in a hurry, live and learn. must say performance is actually alot better. After running it easy for 2 tanks to break it in, I put on my paddle tires and into the sand. It will pull the front wheels up fairly easy when the old km30.5 would not. Top speed is 6mph better on radar.

Back