KM Baja from offroad to asphalt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshT

Haven't posted in a while. Local place I could run my 5b closed up their dirt track to please the RC plane people. It was an RC airfield first, but the fliers complained about dust created by the track. No other really good places to run it locally off road, at least none that I have permission to use, so I want to set it up for running on paved surfaces. So several changes need to be made and I'm not sure what's what.

Tires: I know hostiles would probably be the best tire for a stock wheel, and a conversion to a different wheels and tire would be better still. Neither is in the budget at the moment. Looking at the KM or Rovan pre-mounted tarmac or slick tires, possibly swap out the rear foams for zero growth. Which would be better, the Tarmacs or the Slicks?

Suspension: I want to lower the car a bit and probably stiffen it up. The former is more important to me and will probably lead to the latter. Rovan RC has a Baja "Porsche" road car. Stance looks great to me, but I can't figure out what they did to the shocks. All it says on the product page is "Sport tuned HD 8mm shock absorber with aluminum spring spacers and holders". I would assume that they use standard Baja components with upgraded shafts, but I can't figure out what components they used. Any ideas?

Taking a WAG I'd say front shock bodies all round. Rear long springs on front, and front springs on rear. I shot off an email to Rovan asking about it, they offered to sell me a set of them for $88, but said nothing about how they differ from standard. That doesn't seem like a bad price to keep an offroad set around as well, but I'd rather DIY if I can figure it out. (...and I really dislike the orange shock parts)

Lights: Never thought I'd do it. I work a lot of late shifts, get off well after dark, and most of my free time is after work. Not all of the places that I could run at night are lit, so its moon light or BYOL. A set of headlights and maybe some taillights might be nice. Not going crazy with it, just figure they'll help with tracking the car in low light. Now if they happen to be decently bright headlights, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I know that there is stuff out there, but never really paid any attention to it previously. Suggestions?

Brakes: Not going to happen right now, just planning for the future so I can watch for good prices. Would like something better than the stock single brake. Not sure if I'd just want to add some cable operated front breaks or want to go all out with 4 wheel hydro. Suggestions?

A-arms:
Won't be touched until they break, but planning for when they do.

A) Aluminum arms or stick with Nylon? Nylon arms are no doubt better for absorbing shock and taking abuse, but I'd imagine that aluminum arms are stiffer and have better handling characteristics. Couldn't begin to guess on weight difference. Being that I'm setting it up for pavement with higher traction, added weight might be a good thing. (Thinking about it, a wheelie bar might not be bad addition either.)

B) Stock length arms or Wide arms? I think that extended a-arms would benefit handling, widening track with is probably one of the best things that can be done for handling, but is it worth the added expense? How would it respond to them in dirt when/if I decide to convert it back?

That's all I got for now.

I'm building an asphalt car too. I was told that I could put equal lengths of fuel line on the shocks to lower the car. I have done both aluminum (FLM) and nylon (RPM) on previous builds. While the aluminum looks great, I will stick with RPM for their ability to absorb energy. I also believe that RPM arms have a lifetime warranty. To stiffen things up try stiffer springs on the shocks and thicker oil. You are right in thinking that widening will increase stability. I don't know how much more stable. My baja is very stable with the stock setup so you might want to do some research on that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks