KM Baja KSRC-001 Pre-Run Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shock oil weight

Whats the best weight shock oil to use and why, I was going to put 30wt in the front and 20wt in the back, what do you guys recommend for general bashing?

Last edited:
depends on the shock abilty and pistons and what your using it on? Terrain wise.

on my Hooter Baja, i just redid them and im trying 15W in the rear with 16 hole pistons (ss shocks) and on my rtr i have 20W all the way around with the hyper adjust on the largest hole.

shock oil

I have stock rtr shocks on the back and bought a HPI Shock Repair Kit 20x127-187mm: Baja 87462 for the front, not sure what piston it comes with. and I pretty much run on grass and don’t do any spectacular jumps, more like bunny hops I heard there like lawn darts when ya jump them and I'm afraid to find out LOL

lol, lawn dart they can be. I have taken many a whole out of my yard with the font end.

I run 20w and 15w and it seems to be a good fit with the the stock shocks.

The stock battery takes a full charge but does not hold the charge well. I would make sure you charge the stock battery before each run or at least check it before each run - Or replace it.:)

BTB , great review man...very detailed.

I thought about the aftermarket parts before I bought my son's KM buggy and purchased a FULL set of HPI arms and shocktowers off ebay along with HPI baja 5b SS shocks...got them for a great price. Im also going to buy new clutch and pull starter..just incase.

Other than that as with all RC's I will buy/replace/upgrade as they break !!

Matt

great tear down! i must say though the newer KM buggies are much more revised than the first gens. alot of the issues u ran into are not much of a problem anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always make a new thread on tearing yours down and showing us the improvements. (wink, wink);)
Would be great to show people that may want to buy one the goods and bads of the 002 model.

You could always make a new thread on tearing yours down and showing us the improvements. (wink, wink);)
Would be great to show people that may want to buy one the goods and bads of the 002 model.

i wish i had the time to do a tear down review as in depth as yours, but i really don't... im going to talk to a friend of mine that has had his apart and see if he can supply some useful information

Well gents , its been awhile since ive been on the forum. Winter has been horrible here in Ohio and I have been busy.

An update to my sons KM baja that I bought him for x-mas .There has been lots of parts we have had to replace so far.
First off IF you buy a KM buggy heres a list of items you might want to factor into the final cost.

Electronic's - SUCK badly , if you want a dependable unit , buy a quality controller , reciever and servos w/ failsafe. The junk servos that come with the KM are complete junk and broke after only a few runs. A good unit and quality water-proof metal gear servos (throttle and steering) will cost you . Also the reciever battery pack is junk , buy a replacement SOON !

Rims and tires - don't even run the ones that come with the buggy - exploded both rear rims 3rd day my son ran it.

A arms - buy the HPI ones or RPM ones if not you will soon enough trust me. These A arms are brittle and will crack and break without crashing the buggy.

Clutch - buy an aftermarket one , stock one burns out quickly.

Body - very thin and brittle - buy an HPI buggy replacement.

any plastic parts - luckly the HPI one's will work very well with no modifications.

I have not replaced the shock yet , but I know they will not last very long as they seem to be very cheap too.

Also do make sure to go over the whole buggy and tighten each bolt , lots on his were loose.

Take in mind that this buggy was only run during January as Feburary & March has been to cold and snowy to run it here , so after only ONE month all this stuff had to be replaced.
I knew going into it that I was going to replace parts because others have said they were known not to last. I just did not know I would have to replace pretty much all the parts on this thing . I had lots of the parts ready to go before I gave it to him , but I needed more ...and then more .

After all this , I should have just bought him an HPI baja and saved me a lot of headaches !!!!!!!!! I own an HPI baja SS and have lots of aftermarket parts on mine , we have almost the same amount of money in his than I do in mine. So the "cheap" cost of the buggy originally did not save me anything in the long run.

I was planning on buying the KM truck , but after the experience ive had with this buggy , I will be buying the HPI version and save my self LOADS of hassel in the long run !!!

Best of luck to you guys ,

Matt

I am finding out the same on the servos,my truck was broke when i received it! I am hoping she runs when i get the new servo. What model did you get..Was it the 29cc Km?

Nope I bought the 23cc , I would show you the link to the ebay dealer that I bought it from , but he does'nt have them listed anymore....guess that says a lot !! He still sells some of the KM 29cc buggy's and KMT-1000 trucks.
I bought the buggy in Dec. '09 brand new for $499 including shipping for my son......what a waste. From now on I will buy HPI.

Matt

rcmodlez in blackburn sell the km bajaa

I BOUGHT MY KM 002 FROM RC MODELZ I HAVE RUN IT EVERYDAY FOR ABOUT A HOUR MAYBE MORE ON GRASS FEILDS , CLEANED IT EVERYTIME , I DO JUMPS AND HAD A FEW NOSE PLANTS , THE SERVOS AND ELECTRONICS ARE FINE , SO IS THE HANDSET , WHEN I BOUGHT IT FROM RC MODELZ IN BLACKBURN HE OPENED THE BOX AND DOUBLE CHECKED EVERYTHING WAS OK , ALL THE SERVOS HAD BEEN PRE CHECKED .... I AM WELL HAPPY WITH IT , THE ONLY THING I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE IS THE REAR SPOILER WHEN I FLIPPED IT IN A CARPARK ! BUT I RECON ITS GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY AND THE 29CC ENGINE IS WELL FAST AND TICKS OVER LIKE A DREAM .... THIS WEEKEND I AM GOING TO BUY THE DESERT RAT PROLINE BODY FOR IT .... I WOULD SAY THAT THE NEW VERSION OF THE KM IS A DIFFRENT CAR TOTALLY FROM THE OLD ONE AND WILL MATCH IF NOT BETTER THE HPI BAJA. THANKS !!!!:donatello:

I agree with Coopy.I have just bought the KM 2.0 Alloy version and its up there with my FG's.Gobs of power,everything is well made and a joy to run straight out of the box. I don't baby my cars and they get hammered.
I came off a 20ft drop-off straight onto the nose and it flipped several times just to land on its feet and carry on.I did damage the nose cone but if you seen the way it landed it would have been alot worse if it were the older buggy.
My opinion is that they are extraordinary value for money and I would recommend one to anyone!
J.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks