KM tuned pipe review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
This is a pre-run review of the KM Rear Tuned Pipe.
This is not a performance review. That will come in spring when my son tries it out.

In this review we will compare it to the DDM Dominator. The DDM pipe is the only pipe that looks like the KM tuned pipe since it is where its design came from.
Before anyone gets heated over the debate of the KM copy, please look over the below information and you will see it is not as close a copy as you/we think.

Here is a bit on tuned pipes before we start.
A tuned pipe is tuned to a certain design to perform the best with a certain engine. Some pipes will not perform as well with different motors. The best tuned pipe is one you have hand made for your own motor. Ya, right. Most designers will try to design a pipe that will tune the best to a variety of makes and model of engine.
Here is a small diagram of what a tuned pipe does. It also allows you to see what happens to a pipe that is not a perfect match for your motor. http://www.bukupower.com/animateCorrect.html

The KM shape from a distance might look like the DDM but after inspection it differs greatly from it.

Here is the pipe above the DDM pipe:
DSC05126.jpg

The exhaust header on the KM has been welded to the 1st part of the pipe instead of the flange being welded to the end of the pipe.
DSC05128.jpg

A double weld can be seen where a small piece of pipe was added to help make the header pipe to expansion connect. Remember that any unsmooth or rough areas in the inside of the pipe can make it less effective (see the diagram).
DSC05127.jpg

You can see where the pipe was pressed into the mold to form the pipe shape and scratched the pipe finish.
DSC05130.jpg
DSC05131.jpg

Exit photo.
DSC05129.jpg

The bracket fits right where it needed to be.
DSC05153.jpg

Surprisingly not one piece of plastic is touched by the pipe anywhere.
DSC05143.jpg
DSC05144.jpg
DSC05145.jpg
DSC05147.jpg
DSC05148.jpg

The exit tube just passes the wing to throw exhaust away.
DSC05165.jpg

I can’t tell you enough the importance of torque. Using a torque wrench is the only way to insure the proper bolt tightness. I cranked on the bolts with my T handle allen wrench and could only get around ¾ of the proper torque. After using my torque wrench I was able to get it to the right tightness. The bolt head actually dents into the pipe flange when tight.
DSC05135.jpg
DSC05134.jpg
DSC05138.jpg
DSC05141.jpg

I always use an epoxy of some sort to help ease the vibration back out and to seal the bolt to the pipe. My epoxy ends up burning but it holds just the same.
DSC05151.jpg
DSC05152.jpg

Overall the KM pipe is smaller in all dimensions. Remember that with any pipe size or dimensions you change so does/can performance. Only a dyno could tell us the difference. It is a great low cost alternative at $50.00US. I am happy with it for the price we paid.

Dimensions KM (Left) vs. DDM (Right):
Smallest header measurement (Straight pipe from header): 21.5mm / 22.5mm
Length of pipe until 1st sign of pipe bend (Straight pipe from header): 86mm / 98mm
Width of pipe at bend (Both widest and thinnest): 21.5 to 25.5mm / 23.7 to 25.5mm
Fattest point of expansion chamber: 46.5mm / 52.5mm

Great review , and photos on your review!! This is some good work, making a great resource for folks wondering about this part!!!

Awesome job.:clap:

Have to say Bigger I always look forward to your reviews/write ups, always great pictures where it matters and any problems are highlighted! :)

10 outa 10 again b/better. thats a really nice pipe. where can it be sourced?

i run a jetpro pipe b/better and i think i am going to take a few pics and upload them just to show people how bad the fitment is on this pipe,it was intended for the monster fg models including mine the beetle pro(and i double checked out that) but once again fitment crap,i had to drill new holes on the mounting bracket,and that steel is so STRONG....:scared:

also the amount of times i had to take it to get it welded was countless....

the main part of the pipe actually snapped straight off at the header one day just doing small jumping,luckily got a friend (excellent welder by the way) to weld it like new.

jetpro NOT SO PRO!

i must say though,performs great and looks mighty fine,pity about the issues with it i had though.

On my baja i ran the km rear dom (not even made by km) and the ddm rear dom

I was lucky to be able to test a v2 clone rear dom recently, as you can see from the pictures the pipe looks alot better, more like the ddm dom.

They mount up better, there is no extra weld from the engine to the expansion chamber, the v1 (kingmotor clone rear dom) had 2 extra welds where to pipe was joined twice befor beeing welded to the expantion champer restricting flow imo.

The v2 has no joins or extra welds befor the expantion chamber or after the expantion chamber, because of the smoother construction and less welds, the pipe seams to perform better and is stronger less chances of leaks and damage due to bashing.

the pipe in general is better built and is more bashable and seams to be a improvment in looks, in performance and bashablity and tune is improved, the v2 clone pipe does not have the ugly joins that stick out on the kingmotor clone rear dom, the finsh on the v2 is much neater and better looking imo.

the pipe includes better gaskits and all mounting gear needed.

here are some pictures on the orginal kingmotor clone rear dominator pipe to compare to the new v2 clone pipe.

the kingsmotor clone rear dom (v1 clone pipe)

152498810_tp.gif

152498816_tp.gif

152498826_tp.gif

4f46_1.gif

The new v2 clone rear dom pipe

100_0037.gif

100_0038.gif

100_0039.gif

100_0040.gif

100_0041.gif

100_0042.gif

You can tell the difrence im talking about from the pi,cs, i give the v2 clone rear dom the thumbs up

I don't sell these but if you live in australia and would like to know where to get any of these new v2 clone rear doms, send me a pm and i can point you in the right direction.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks