L3 diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SELWA

I noticed I've been having some oil/grease come out of the diff lately. I removed the rear end today to clean it up and noticed the left side comes right out! Is this normal? I'm use to FG diffs but the L3 didn't come with any info/instructions. Is the inner bearing pressed in? It's odd that the assembly can be removed out showing the inner bevel gears inside.

I got a reply from the famous Ian Oddie!

"That's normal on some versions of LB diff. The diff mount holds the diff together. Not the best design of diff, and they always leak grease through the bearing from inside the diff. Rubber shielded bearings help."

Mine doesn't seem adjustable. The angled set screw doesn't do anything inside but cap the hole. I thought about using some threadlock to seal in the bearing better. Not sure yet. I just came back from Downsview with the Baja guys and I have a mess of grease/oil all over the place to clean un again.

The horror!!!!
34i68mt.jpg

Last edited:
All cleaned up now and ready to go. I used a bead of red threadlock to hold the bearing in the housing. Hopefully it cures the excess grease/oil coming out.

I'm just a dirty guy. :blink: The L3 is ready to go and maybe my fix will work... or at least I hope it does!

At least the FG is more at the drive cups!

We need to meet up some time and run our buggies!

Did you say baja Joe

When did you get that beast .

share the secrets with us come on .

The time is coming soon just wait till the baby comes better get the buggies up to the top shape as time will be limited.

cheers

Hey Dom,

The Baja roller came from "The Roc". After I put my Selwa trademark on it it looks sweet. 30.5 ESP, painted a new body and added electronics.

I'll be at Downsview today if you want to drop by and get your parts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks