Layshaft Hell Part Deux..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
ok lads i think i need some assistance with this one,it is kinda annoying me now at this stage,i got my new layshaft bearings during the week and i startet to put all parts back together again,NEW alloy gearplate,NEW layshaft,NEW bearings on the layshaft,washers,spacers everything back on 100percent,same diff gear and pinion that was on before without any bother,even moved engine to best position to suit the gears,now i get everything back on and assembled and here i go again,layshaft isSTILL not running in line with the inside bearing,god i checked everything,even ordered a new large engine mount to make sure..loosing my paitence now with this,and the last time i put it running it ate off the layshaft bearings from layshaft too tight,oh yeah diff and pinion are extremly tight too even though the engine is moved back fully,and spur and clutch pinion are too tight too...... GOING INSANE FROM IT !!

awwww .. when mounting the alloy gear plate theres 3 spacers ?i cant remeber 100 % about this but one is thinner and goes on the bottom .. that would make everything off ? i hope you kinda understand , it been along time since i played around with the FG's .. but i do remeber that !

i checked them and they seem to be all on as the good lord intended. )
am ill check that again but im pretty sure that i had them all on correct...

Can you post some photos? Something isn't right here, everything should line up.
If your spur and pinion are too tight check your pinion gear it sounds like too many teeth you need either 16/48 or 18/46
layshaft pinion to diff should be one of the following 14/50,15/50, 16/50, 14/48, 15/48 or 16/48

im just after posting up pics of the car on general discussions,am i checked everything but i think it could be the gearplate or a bent engine mount steel holder u know the little guys that hold the engine to the large mount,one of them slightly bent,and large engine mount slightly bent,maybe this may cause some disturbances...

but they arnt bent in such a way that they could cause disturbances,very slight imperfections on them

:with-stupid:
Ya, pictures are the only thing left we can guess off of.:helpsmilie:
The only thing left you haven't checked is a bent item.

Photos, photos, photos!!:jerry:

btb i have checked all the parts and they are all new,thats the anoying part i cant understand,i checked all the gears(correct sizes) i checked the spacers,new large engine mount too:no:checked whole lot,cant understand why the bloody thing wont line up right.
im going ripping car tomorrow to repair and i will observe and photograph as i go along. and of corse post them to let ye help me sort out the riddle of layshaft lol

btb i have checked all the parts and they are all new,thats the anoying part i cant understand,i checked all the gears(correct sizes) i checked the spacers,new large engine mount too:no:checked whole lot,cant understand why the bloody thing wont line up right.
im going ripping car tomorrow to repair and i will observe and photograph as i go along. and of corse post them to let ye help me sort out the riddle of layshaft lol

Do you use the small spacer with the Elcon set up? Or are they all supposed to be the same size?

no btb the set up i have is the standard layshaft and alloygearplate setup,i have it stripped at the moment and i think its a gearplate spacer problem.
p.s good review on the shocks man 100percent!!

at least i hope its a spacer problem now....

well finially got car 100percent,btb btw i got to the core of the problem with the layshaft, was the alloy gearplate spacers and i had a bent engine mount(rare) replaced all of the above anyway and drove the beetle in a football field today 3hours running and im thinking its now bulletproof,(thank god for fast eddys red locktite threadlock) lol god does that cy 29cc have poke,its quick and wheelies are in plentyfull suply now lol,good to be back in good driving order again.!!
thanks lads for all the help

so anybody doing any driving of there own at the moment?

well finially got car 100percent,btb btw i got to the core of the problem with the layshaft, was the alloy gearplate spacers and i had a bent engine mount(rare) replaced all of the above anyway and drove the beetle in a football field today 3hours running and im thinking its now bulletproof,(thank god for fast eddys red locktite threadlock) lol god does that cy 29cc have poke,its quick and wheelies are in plentyfull suply now lol,good to be back in good driving order again.!!

thats good 2 hear .. thats what forums are intended for .

I'm rebuilding and staring out my window with drool in my mouth waiting for the snow to end....:clown:
Be awhile before I ride again.:(

That's great you got to the bottom of it.:cool2:

my god mooman snow,mm i was never in canada actually,i have a friend there though in montreal,would be cool to run them in the snow,im expecting snow this christmas myself where i live we are pretty high up.

so btb you got snow too,i would be out in it if i were you lol,weather was nice here today kinda cold but not raining,where i drove today in the football field the pitch was soaked though it was funny i could see all the water being shot from the wheels,i was waiting for w.o.t uncontrolable throttle at any minute lol lol(from all the electronics getting possibly wet). good solid fun now today lol,havnt ran the car sinse september last,and by god was she flying today!

PS LISTEN TO THIS LADS!!
i learned something new today. ok after 3 hours of run time when driving the length of the field i was loosing signal(normal when battries loosing power and wind also wouldnt help) BUT what made a major differnce AND WORKS is to (when in long range and loosing signal) point the transmitter radio and keep it roughly 15ft in front of the car and pointing the aerial at the same level as the car,my god flawless signal its like the car just runs in to the signal or something,its amazing,it really works,i mean when you try this u can get serious range and ur battries will seem to last forever,give it a try..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks