Loctite on exaust screws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is most important to loc-tite the threads on the exhoust side...reason? when you have an exhoust leak close to the head like that your motor will consistantly run extra lean. wich is not good. from the vibration of the screw ratling around inside the hole will couse the hole in the head to get larger. eventually stripping it out.
i sugjest blue loc-tite unlike hellya's red.. i have always had a problem getting red off. you need a small torche or a really hot solder iron..(correct me if im wrong). i have never had blue loc-tite fail and its tuff getting it off mopst of the time wich means its still working..

No need for big red letters, just ask for clarification bub.

Follow this link:

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28006&highlight=safety+wire

sorry. didnt know how to spell clarifacation..ya see, spelled it wrong, so i just wrote: WHAT!!!!???

any way, cool link. there seems to be a few airplane engineers on that thread. i guess im just stronger then i am smarter:clown:. i was never too good at tieing boyscout knots, so i'll just stick to the thread lock. very interesting thow

one more time just for loughs: WHAT!!!??

sorry. didnt know how to spell clarifacation..ya see, spelled it wrong, so i just wrote: WHAT!!!!???

any way, cool link. there seems to be a few airplane engineers on that thread. i guess im just stronger then i am smarter:clown:. i was never too good at tieing boyscout knots, so i'll just stick to the thread lock. very interesting thow

one more time just for loughs: WHAT!!!??

Next time, use a brighter red! ;)

My explanation was lacking in a lot of different ways, so I don't blame you for that! :)

Only reason I suggested red is red handles the hot temp better than blue but any loctite is better than none and lock washers is a good idea too:)

Another biggie is to make sure you are torquing them to the correct spec. Since torquing them down to the spec shown in the engine section here and installing ZAP on the heads I have not had one back out. Before that I had them come loose constantly, even with red locktight. The DDM pipe flange will slightly dent in at the holes and the head of the screw dig in when the torque is set right. USE a torque wrench and you will see how loose you really are tightening them by hand.:)

Thanks.. I have the DDM fd130 and I cannot get at the left screw at the right angle to tighten it up. Only thing I haven't tried is a hex with a swivel.

screw.jpg

Other suggestions?

You need to sacrafise a allen wrench, cut as much off the short end as you have to it is hardened steel, so grind slowly being careful not to heat it up too much. If you heat it up too much, it will get soft.

I had to do that with the pipe on my FG too.

I cut the wrench and was able to snug up the bolts. I also some blue loc-tite. So far so good. I am still fighting my gear mesh. I really need to swap out the mount!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks