Looking to buy new 1/5th scale gas. Need advice from current owners pls.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasserbob

Im looking to purchase a new giant scale 1/5th but want to talk to some people first.
Currently I own a Traxxas rustler with a 3.3 which is a nitro engine.
My little Rustler will run about 60 or 70 MPH easy and from a stand still will burn the tires down.
Even starts to wheelie at 50 plus MPH.

Im currently looking into buying a 1/5 scale 36cc Rovan or a Redcat dune runner only because of the reliability of the large two stroke motor.

Only problem I have seen so far is that the Large cc 1/5th scale cars and buggies look slow compared to my little 300 Dollar 3.3 Rustler.

Every video I have ever seen of a 1/5th scale gas buggy or truck they all barley start out from a standstill. The large 1/5th scale buggies just do not seem to have the takeoff power that a less expensive nitro car has.
Not sure why so many large scale rc cars have wheelie bars.

My little Rustler will burn the tires off from a stand still and will pull the front end up all day long from the power to weight ratio but I just don't see that kind of power from the 1/5th scale cars and buggies.

Anyone have any input on that subject?

Seems like the large 1/5th scale cars are asking a lot of the gears with all of that weight and the big cc motors.

Id love to get a large scale 1/5th scale but don't want something that just gets around. For 700 U.S. Dollars Im thinking it better burn the tires off. At least thats what my little 300 dollar Nitro Rustler does all day long.

u gota remember power to weight...:D...ur rustler weighs naff all......with quite a big engine......were as a 1/5th will b between 14-18kg`s..:eek:...and ur gonna need a sorted engine to get it to move as ur looking for it to do...ie quik off the mark.......so ur gonna need to drop sum £$£$ on a decent engine......imo......;)......my 5bss has a scott finlay g32 pro mx and it shifts.......and my losi 5ive gota obr34cc reed v2 in it now and it also shifts......its never gonna b as quik off the mark as a lighter rc will b.........unless u spend serious money on engine/drive train.....imo.....;)

Depends on how how deep your pockets are bud.. Just sheer size and sound of 1/5th scale is a hundred times funner than 1/8th scale..By no means are they slow. Newbie 1/5th scalers are generally intimidated by the size and sound.They sound like a dirtbike with tuned exhaust and some weigh 40 pounds!! This is what im currently building..

Last edited:
imo it gets to a point were it gets pointless with these big ass engines as u cant really rag it around left/right/left/right pinned as all it can do is go fast in a straight line on 2 wheels......which...imo gets old real quik..(but this is jus my opinion...each to there own as we say;)).....as with any rc what likes to live on its rear wheels...the novelty soon weares off...:rolleyes:...i like to beable to keep it pinned and make quik sudden turns ...slide it about with out fear of it rolling and wrecking its self once all that weight comes to a stop...or u hit sumin ..:(.. ....

Im sold

I want to get a 36cc Rovan. All parts are HPI compatible.
They are around 569 U.S. dollars.

Ive watched several reviews on the Rovans and they are not bad at all.
They are price brand new with the big 30cc motors for as little as $449 U.S. Dollars RTR and go up with options.

Wifey told me not a good idea to purchase a 600 Dollar RC car but she agreed only if I can sell something to cover the cost.
Sweet
Ive got my Chopper forsale for $8200 U.S. Dollars, So if anyone wants a chopper. LOL hehehehe

I cant wait.
Anyway im kiind of surprised that these Giant scale 1/5th cars are not 4 stroke. Lately I have been seeing all of the weed eaters at the local hardware store coming brand new with little 4 stroke motors. They sound all thumpy.
I was looking at a weedeater the other day that had a 4 stroke and it looked like it has the same bolt pattern as the 2 stroke.
That would be the shisel to have a 4 stroke thumper in a 1/5th scale.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.JPG
    IMG_4446.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 7
That Baja twin cylinder is friggin bad to the bone.

I cant get enough of that video.

Very Nice Bro.

imo it gets to a point were it gets pointless with these big ass engines as u cant really rag it around left/right/left/right pinned as all it can do is go fast in a straight line on 2 wheels......which...imo gets old real quik..(but this is jus my opinion...each to there own as we say;)).....as with any rc what likes to live on its rear wheels...the novelty soon weares off...:rolleyes:...i like to beable to keep it pinned and make quik sudden turns ...slide it about with out fear of it rolling and wrecking its self once all that weight comes to a stop...or u hit sumin ..:(.. ....

Building a twin because there just badass, Got a Mtxl for bashing love it, got a erevo brushless for even harder basher, got losi 22 4.0 buggy for track racing, got a bully rock crawler for the rocks, got a cyberstorm 32inch on 6s for the water, got a Goblin 700 heli for 3d,got a Yak 54 30% gasser airplane for 3d.. I got pretty much everything covered.. So having a twin is not really overkill or boring when you got pretty much all angles covered..LOL

Building a twin because there just badass, Got a Mtxl for bashing love it, got a erevo brushless for even harder basher, got losi 22 4.0 buggy for track racing, got a bully rock crawler for the rocks, got a cyberstorm 32inch on 6s for the water, got a Goblin 700 heli for 3d,got a Yak 54 30% gasser airplane for 3d.. I got pretty much everything covered.. So having a twin is not really overkill or boring when you got pretty much all angles covered..LOL
same here..:D..like i said each to their own ;)

Yee Haw

Proud new owner of a 36cc Hot Rod screamer.

Spent about 2 hours just letting the little guy idle and cool down then idle and cool down. Did that for nearly 2hours to get a good break in.
Ive been using tru Fuel which is ethanol free petrol aka gasoline with a non synthetic 2 stroke oil. Now that the motor is broken in properly I ve switched over to a synthetic 2 stroke oil.

This thing is a tire spinng wheelie popping Hot Rod.

Im seriously impressed.

Seriously fun.

Rovans are the shissel.

Very first start up was nothing, only one pull with choke on and it popped off, I immediately turned the choke off and it started up right away on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

Cleans up really easy after each use with some air.

Serious Thumbs up for Rovan.

Attachments

• IMG_4775.JPG
    IMG_4775.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 10
Yee Haw

Proud new owner of a 36cc Hot Rod screamer.

Spent about 2 hours just letting the little guy idle and cool down then idle and cool down. Did that for nearly 2hours to get a good break in.
Ive been using tru Fuel which is ethanol free petrol aka gasoline with a non synthetic 2 stroke oil. Now that the motor is broken in properly I ve switched over to a synthetic 2 stroke oil.

This thing is a tire spinng wheelie popping Hot Rod.

Im seriously impressed.

Seriously fun.

Rovans are the shissel.

Very first start up was nothing, only one pull with choke on and it popped off, I immediately turned the choke off and it started up right away on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

Cleans up really easy after each use with some air.

Serious Thumbs up for Rovan.
nice dude!!...u've gave it the once over to chk all nuts/bolts/screws ect r tight ;)

Thanks
I appreciate it.

I actually spent about 3 hours just looking over all of the nutts and bolts and looking at how everything was put together.
Now Im just trying to validate that the motor is in fact a 36cc besides some stickers saying so.

Does anyone else use compressed air to blow out the cooling fins and blow off all the dirt after each run?

Harbor freight has a nice little High flow nozzle that fits down under the case of the motor and literally blows all of the dirt off everywhere.
Makes the little guy look brand new again in no time.
Its great.

If you don't have access to a compressor I would think a computer duster Air can could do the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_4863.JPG
    IMG_4863.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4877.JPG
    IMG_4877.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4881.JPG
    IMG_4881.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 6
I sure do..Air compressor comes in very handy. I actually consider an air compressor a must have.I see guys that wash them off with water.. I don't think thats good..I keep mine clean looking just blowing it off..

Yes
compressed air does wonders on a dusty dirty 1/5th scale.

Thumbs up.

I would never take a water hose to my little Rovan. Prob would not hurt it but Im not gonna do it. :)

For me, keeping the motor up and running is all about keeping a fresh well mixed ratio of fuel in her and keeping those cooling fins free of dirt and debis.
Recently picked up a little Pull start Cover to help filter out those cooling ports on the pull start.
Those must remain clear of debis in order to keep the air flowing across those fins.

Seriously important.

Attachments

• IMG_4876.JPG
    IMG_4876.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4877.JPG
    IMG_4877.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 3
I found the crank case filter to be a needed item as well, if you run at all in grass.

I have hosed my trucks off with the garden hose a couple times but I pull the engine and electronics off first, we've had a few muddy days at the track and the air hose just wasn't getting the job done.

I don't even start my motors new, until I have outerwears on crankcase and pullstart. The crankcase outerwear is much more important because debris will get in there for sure easily. That will cause flywheel damage!

I'll pressure wash my rigs at least once a month. I usually remove the rx box and servos and place a plastic bag over the carburetor. Then spray on some Simple Green and pressure wash it. Once done, fire up the air compressor and blow dry it with an air nozzle. Once all dry I usually add some drops of oil to the hinge pins. I spray on some silicone lube just about everywhere and wipe it off. Keep in mind I seal my wheels/beadlocks with sealant, so water or sand doesn't get in the tires and mess up my foams.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks