looking to get 1/5th scale rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcshort

ibeen loking to get a large rc for some time now ive wanted the baja sence is came out but money has been a problem started seeing the spin offs of the 5b/5t almost half the cost as the real deal.i know you get what you pay for. so if like most plain to upgrade anyway way not get the less expensive of the two. i found the saler on ebay he has both buggy and truck for sale just not sure how legit he is . this is the truck http://cgi.ebay.com/Rovan-1-5-26cc-...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4cf603f9f5 this is the car http://cgi.ebay.com/Rovan-1-5-30-5c...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3cb49b24a3 let me know what you guys think also i have had no luck finding the king motors verison or dealer here state side

Hi and welcome mate! i'd go for the truck but i don't mo much on clones, KM's etc
but the is alot of members on here that will help you out no end!

Update your location also mate its in the user CP in the top left corner :)

Welcome! You won't go wrong with either of those. It just boils down to if you prefer a truck or buggy. I guarantee that whatever you get won't stay stock for long if you get bitten by the 5th scale bug :). So don't focus so much on that they do or don't come with out of the box.

DanLC4 is the seller of those and totally legit. He also sells the KM's through his ebay store but he sells out quickly and it tends to be a while between restockings. The Rovan's are just as good. He'll take care of you and he's also active around here. Bought my KM from him and couldn't be happier.

Welcome! You won't go wrong with either of those. It just boils down to if you prefer a truck or buggy. I guarantee that whatever you get won't stay stock for long if you get bitten by the 5th scale bug :). So don't focus so much on that they do or don't come with out of the box.

DanLC4 is the seller of those and totally legit. He also sells the KM's through his ebay store but he sells out quickly and it tends to be a while between restockings. The Rovan's are just as good. He'll take care of you and he's also active around here. Bought my KM from him and couldn't be happier.
sweet thanks funbob yeah i got bite by the rc bug about 25years ago but now the large scale bug bite me:lol:so i thing this will be two of many that will be added to my fleet of rcs:D

yah Dan is where i got my T1000 from, and i also buy alot of parts off Tulare too. both guys are very reputeable vendors. both guys will help you out on decisions too if not sure what you need, but know what your after.

TGN is also a good place to deal with as well. but Dan is super spot to get a KM from.

yah Dan is where i got my T1000 from, and i also buy alot of parts off Tulare too. both guys are very reputeable vendors. both guys will help you out on decisions too if not sure what you need, but know what your after.

TGN is also a good place to deal with as well. but Dan is super spot to get a KM from.
how do you like the t1000 yeah ive been checking out all the large scale venders for some time now:w00t:

mine hasnt messede up when i run it as it was, but the upgrade monster has slapped me hard, and ive been upgrading things. its on bench right now waiting for more things to arrive.

overall tho the truck and brand as a whole, its better than a hpi brand i think, a friend has a hpi 5B and it breaks every time he runs it. it spends more time on bench than running.

my flysky brand of radio they come with in the box is decent radio, but i am upgrading with a 4pks and better servos than stockers.

failsafe worked good too. but im adding a killer Bee to it.

just a few things to consider upgrading first:
a killer Bee, a better radio system, like a 3pk 3pl works just fine and is cheaper than the 4pks. the servos, stockers work fine, but upgrading to 7955 t/b and 5755 steering. and that stock air filter setup is very hard to deal with getting the clamp open and closed. so a shreadstack inclined Vstack angles that filter upward from clamp area, and makes it lots easier to get it on and off then, i put one on mine.

those are some first off upgrades i would do not in any paticular order but some of the first ones to make.

then ya can move on to others i did, alloy steering asembly, alloy shock towers and braces, hubs, etc.....list goes on and on...

mine hasnt messede up when i run it as it was, but the upgrade monster has slapped me hard, and ive been upgrading things. its on bench right now waiting for more things to arrive.

overall tho the truck and brand as a whole, its better than a hpi brand i think, a friend has a hpi 5B and it breaks every time he runs it. it spends more time on bench than running.

my flysky brand of radio they come with in the box is decent radio, but i am upgrading with a 4pks and better servos than stockers.

failsafe worked good too. but im adding a killer Bee to it.

just a few things to consider upgrading first:
a killer Bee, a better radio system, like a 3pk 3pl works just fine and is cheaper than the 4pks. the servos, stockers work fine, but upgrading to 7955 t/b and 5755 steering. and that stock air filter setup is very hard to deal with getting the clamp open and closed. so a shreadstack inclined Vstack angles that filter upward from clamp area, and makes it lots easier to get it on and off then, i put one on mine.

those are some first off upgrades i would do not in any paticular order but some of the first ones to make.

then ya can move on to others i did, alloy steering asembly, alloy shock towers and braces, hubs, etc.....list goes on and on...
the radio system is the first thing i plain to change:)

it'll actually surprise you, the one that comes with it has every setting the $400 futabas have. The servos are lacking. but the included radio is far more then a basher will ever need. Unless your racing and you need the best response time, you wouldnt even notice the difference.

Definatly get better servos, and a killerbee

As far as the rx/tx-
Save your money for "go fast" parts! :)

Killerbee V1 works perfect with the newer KM radio system. although their compatibility list says it doesn't, I believe they tested on KM's older equipment.

it'll actually surprise you, the one that comes with it has every setting the $400 futabas have. The servos are lacking. but the included radio is far more then a basher will ever need. Unless your racing and you need the best response time, you wouldnt even notice the difference.

Definatly get better servos, and a killerbee

As far as the rx/tx-
Save your money for "go fast" parts! :)

Killerbee V1 works perfect with the newer KM radio system. although their compatibility list says it doesn't, I believe they tested on KM's older equipment.
thanks jared the truck in your avai a clone or hpi?:cup-1:

heard of them on other forums, bad and good, so take it in consideration.

and yes the radio, flysky brand the km comes with arent bad radios, mine is working fine, but, i decided to go ahead and upgrade radios too. likei said tho, you don't have to go high end like i did, a futaba 3 channel is perfect for it as well, and more than half the price too. i paid 500 for the 4pks but 3pk or 3pl futabas run like 200 to 275 depending on new or used.

heard of them on other forums, bad and good, so take it in consideration.

and yes the radio, flysky brand the km comes with arent bad radios, mine is working fine, but, i decided to go ahead and upgrade radios too. likei said tho, you don't have to go high end like i did, a futaba 3 channel is perfect for it as well, and more than half the price too. i paid 500 for the 4pks but 3pk or 3pl futabas run like 200 to 275 depending on new or used.
ok thanks for the radio i was going with the futaba 3pmx its like 180 new i have two already for my savvy and revo and like it alot:) whats the bad and good you have heard?

what i read was the service and contact info. they wont answer emails or phone, least thats what i read, but ones that got the items said nothing wrong with that part, items were good.

but if your planning on a KM, get ahold of Dan for that, and a radio you might look at DDM
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6277/.f

he has battery for it too, for extra runtime you can buy

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.8115/.f

if you upgrade the servos, go with 5755 for steering and 7955 for T/B.

youll need a adaptor mount for the 5755 OR buy this:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6232/.f

i went with a PA mount, the 5755 mounts right up to it. and also since you would be getting more torques out of both servos get the servo clampo set
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6328/.f

i did, and don't forget to weather proof those servos before install, at 109 for one and 90 for the other, you don't wantem frying due to water.

get some hitec servo grease, open cases slather a bunch around the servo output shaft, reseal up cases, then get something like plastidip, the black color, and a brush and brush the dip around top and bottom case seams/

and around wire pigs where they come out.

your servos are now as waterproofed as you can make them. don't get any dip on the midband areas on servos, their a heatsink and shouldnot be covered up. just the case seams.

thanks jared the truck in your avai a clone or hpi?:cup-1:

KM brand, started life as a t1000, currently in transition to buggy form just for a change of scenery.

all my dimes are in the heart of it.

Great trucks out of the box with nothing you really need to do besides a good looking over and greasing in the right spots. The stock setup will get you plenty of fun.

Of course, im more of a -if it aint broke - don't fix it - kind of guy? If you know what I am saying.

Its easy to go overboard and get yourself in deep where you don't need to be. I would much rather throw some cash at a good ported head then some shiny parts ;)

I got the cheaper hitec servos, could not ask for anything more, they are both metal geared, ultra high tourqe, and I spent less then 100 for the set.. shop around ya know. DDM may carry everything, I usually use it just to find what I want to look for on Ebay. But the "deal of the day" on there is usually pretty sick.

Of course, Im just a basher, me and the guys in a pit of dirt ya know. where it doesn't matter how pretty it is, at the end of the day, your fixing it, because it just got the snot beat out of it.

If your looking at a KM on ebay, look for the sellers Dan and heathobby. Heathobby costumer service is seriously lacking, but they get the goods to you. Dan supports everything he sells. .. Heathobby is in florida, Dan is in NY

don't worry about what you'll need, or whatever. Just get the thing and have fun man. And don't worry about the clone trash talking, oppinions are like buttholes.. everyone has one and they usually stink:eek:

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 8
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 9
  • 101_1745.jpg
    101_1745.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
lol well stated. truth is these KM's are really good for the money spent, and can for almost everything on it use HPI parts if needbe.

oh almost forgot the one single most important thing you will prolly discover as I and others have, REPLACE the pullstarter first off.

get one with the collar around the pawl. the stockones don't have the collars, and the pawl will cock sideways jam and bend the washer and arm. once that happens its pretty well trashed.

mine did that after 2 tanks of gas, had to get a new one. found one with a collar around that pawl, and not a single issue since.

so be prepared for that to happen witing the first few tanks of gas. only seen one right off on ebay thats for rovan 30.5 but that will also fit a 29cc same cover fits 23 thru 30.5 cc's it is only one that shows pic of underside and it HAS the collar on it.

Last edited:
thanks guys.. yep hitec are the only brand servos ive used in the last 12 years that has never let me down i have the 7955s for steering on all my monster trucks.. hey jarde nice truck or buggy lol looks awesome:w00t::w00t:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks