Losi 5ive vs MCD W5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh, I thought you were saying Max on the phone lol, yes I do know Mike. :)

Hello Mike nice to see your playing nicely and making friends lol :rolleyes:

Which is best, 2wd or 4wd? They can't be compared imo. It's a daddy or chips question lol. Both are great and both suck in there own ways but please don't try to say one is better than the other, it totally depends on what you want from your car another persons opinion will never be the same as your own. ;)

My opinion on 4wd cars :)

Losi's are great easily the best largescale car I have owned, simple :) Looks, size and 4wd not for everyone but I love racing mine :)

FTX Punisher, much fun to be had with these. Good bang for your buck, can get a little Chinese in places but once sorted and you get to know the car they are reliable and fun. Raced mine for 2 years, would still be racing one now but I jumped on the Losi Bandwagon. Yeah the Smartech engine that now comes with the Punisher Plus ain't ideal, but it'll do for a start and the are reliable to be fair. Just need to change the clutch shoes ;) A CY or Zenoah is a drop in replacement anyhow so the engine isn't really a deal breaker in my opinion.

MCD, hmmm. If you speak to Ross Mods or King Cobra they are the best cars in the world. In many ways they are excellent, great design. If you speak to someone that has owned one (and I recommend you do if your thinking of buying one) they will tell you there are some drivetrain issues in the real world. Apparently though there is a new car design on the horizon and hopefully they can build on the good points and make the next car great.

FG, belt drive, full stop the end. Never tried it, not heard too many horror stories about it, in theory it's a great idea!! but, it just seems wrong to me in an off road car.

What to get - if you just want a reliable fun car get a Losi. If you don't like SC trucks personally I'd get a Punisher but, so long as you maintain it well and don't mind the repair costs an MCD is equally as good, and made in Europe ;)

Not arguing so don't even try to start lol The above is my personal opinion. you of course are welcome to your own ;)

Nige.

Hello Nige, yeah, i was saying mike, must be my liverpool twang, i got a great thing going here :lol: come on join the fun:jerry: .
No seriousely, thanks lads for your input, i don't know an awful lot about these 1/5th cars and as in 1/8th nitro, some break more easily than others as well as parts availability and price.
Its a lot of money down the pan as well as the disapointment when they keep breaking, i really wish i had of known about the punisher when i got the km but you live and learn, thats why i'me asking these questions now.

I'm going to see what sort of deal i can get on the Nutech 5sc imported and if its too dear i'll give it a while to see if cml bring it over.

Last edited:
Hello Nige, yeah, i was saying mike, must be my liverpool twang, i got a great thing going here :lol: come on join the fun:jerry: .
No seriousely, thanks lads for your input, i don't know an awful lot about these 1/5th cars and as in 1/8th nitro, some break more easily than others as well as parts availability and price.
Its a lot of money down the pan as well as the disapointment when they keep breaking, i really wish i had of known about the punisher when i got the km but you live and learn, thats why i'me asking these questions now.

I'm going to see what sort of deal i can get on the Nutech 5sc imported and if its too dear i'll give it a while to see if cml bring it over.

If you really don't want to be disapponted get a Losi.

from my short experience of ls off road i agree with the above statement from miniripper.i have owned an mcd,used it twice,broke it twice,sold it.wont buy another.a guy i race with bought a new mcd v4 and has spent around 1k on it to make it something like reliable.if mike and mini do race and want a mobile chicane i maybe able to do that for you!

If you really don't want to be disapponted get a Losi.

Sorry mate, I already have a LOSI 5ive, I'm looking for something different for my lad, he's 17 and I want to get him something as reliable there or there about as reliable as my LOSI, preferably another sct but I must admit I am finding myself drawn to the punisher,
Hearing some good stuff about that car.

Just an observation, but I went to the Challenge Cup in Essex recently and the short course class was awesome all weekend, there were a couple of MCD's that were flying in the final, and a few Losi's that were also flying. But the end result for me says it all, Losi 1.2.3.4.5.6.etc, neither MCD finished and all the Losi's did. I only saw I Losi retire and that was Gareth's as he has already mentioned, (after market clutch ? After market driver more like ? Only joking Gareth!!! Ian did suggest this LOL....) anyway the upshot was the three of us who raced in the Baja class all drove back up the M6 and ordered 3 Losi's (thanks Ian at MMR) for a great deal. Myself and the 2 Steve's have had the Losi's round our new track and we are all amazed how well they handle out of he box pretty much. We have BZM pipes fitted which made a big difference to the stock motor and sound sweet o boot. We've all jumped hard and the only damage so far is a crack in front bull bar. Looking forward to the Kendal Bash as there would be a few SCT attending as well as the trusty old Baja's..

Oh and the only other mods to date are Savox, SuperBee, alloy braces, fuel pipes and full force kit, servo tray mod, 3 shoe clutch and bell, hostile carrier, turtle v2 pull start, silverback outer bead locks and screws, monkey nuts, Bartolone mesh plate, DDM fuel cap, carbon GoPro Mount, team Chase rear Diff guard, BZM pipe, body pin retainers, quick release throttle linkage, Über Carbon discs, craftworks plug lead, NGK plug, 3ch RX and telematery removed, outerwears, rear cv guards, front on rear lazer cut windows, engine mesh mod, chassis bump stops, ONLY !!!!!!!! The two Steve's have a List of mods also and Doug is going to another level BZM power and a list of mods also!!!!

Just an observation, but I went to the Challenge Cup in Essex recently and the short course class was awesome all weekend, there were a couple of MCD's that were flying in the final, and a few Losi's that were also flying. But the end result for me says it all, Losi 1.2.3.4.5.6.etc, neither MCD finished and all the Losi's did. I only saw I Losi retire and that was Gareth's as he has already mentioned, (after market clutch ? After market driver more like ? Only joking Gareth!!! Ian did suggest this LOL....) anyway the upshot was the three of us who raced in the Baja class all drove back up the M6 and ordered 3 Losi's (thanks Ian at MMR) for a great deal. Myself and the 2 Steve's have had the Losi's round our new track and we are all amazed how well they handle out of he box pretty much. We have BZM pipes fitted which made a big difference to the stock motor and sound sweet o boot. We've all jumped hard and the only damage so far is a crack in front bull bar. Looking forward to the Kendal Bash as there would be a few SCT attending as well as the trusty old Baja's..

Oh and the only other mods to date are Savox, SuperBee, alloy braces, fuel pipes and full force kit, servo tray mod, 3 shoe clutch and bell, hostile carrier, turtle v2 pull start, silverback outer bead locks and screws, monkey nuts, Bartolone mesh plate, DDM fuel cap, carbon GoPro Mount, team Chase rear Diff guard, BZM pipe, body pin retainers, quick release throttle linkage, Über Carbon discs, craftworks plug lead, NGK plug, 3ch RX and telematery removed, outerwears, rear cv guards, front on rear lazer cut windows, engine mesh mod, chassis bump stops, ONLY !!!!!!!! The two Steve's have a List of mods also and Doug is going to another level BZM power and a list of mods also!!!!

well that answers my original question, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. :cup-1: :w00t:, it doesn't get much clearer than that and the only brand to finish, like i said as in 1/8th nitro rally x you always see 1 brand rise above the rest, unless mcd do something about their reliability issues they will take financal kick in the gonads of biblical proportions :rolleyes:.
I wonder hoe long it will be before them at ross. mods. are driving Losi's, not too long me thinks.
The boys were telling me the mcd's win everything, their chassis lay out was second to none and their drive train was the best out there, almost agricultural i think to quote:cowboy:, funny we don't see tractors broken down everywere :lol::lol:.
Itold them when losi bring their 1/8th multi championship winning chassis into this class, it would be a case of shape up or ship out for MCD, for me that drive train is over engineered,
like i said, i had the mcd v4 comp. tuned to the hilt but every time i drove it i thought, something is gona give here and on looking at it i thought this will be a headache to fix:hammer: :mad:, then came the Losi,:w00t: aquick sale and i had the chassis i knew:cup-1:.
I really hope MCD sort it and maybe we'l see a 4x4 hpi baja, the fg will be a serious piece of kit, you'd think with all their experiece.
Come on ftx :2guns: lets have it.

Can you tell me what positions the w5's were maintaining before they broke.
Much appreciated Simon.

It's difficult to say as Stevo was racing in the 2wd class & the 4wd class and Richard was running the shop. They both finished the runs they were in, with Richard winning both and Stevo was 2nd & 3rd.

well that answers my original question, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. :cup-1: :w00t:, it doesn't get much clearer than that and the only brand to finish, like i said as in 1/8th nitro rally x you always see 1 brand rise above the rest, unless mcd do something about their reliability issues they will take financal kick in the gonads of biblical proportions :rolleyes:.
I wonder hoe long it will be before them at ross. mods. are driving Losi's, not too long me thinks.
The boys were telling me the mcd's win everything, their chassis lay out was second to none and their drive train was the best out there, almost agricultural i think to quote:cowboy:, funny we don't see tractors broken down everywere :lol::lol:.
Itold them when losi bring their 1/8th multi championship winning chassis into this class, it would be a case of shape up or ship out for MCD, for me that drive train is over engineered,
like i said, i had the mcd v4 comp. tuned to the hilt but every time i drove it i thought, something is gona give here and on looking at it i thought this will be a headache to fix:hammer: :mad:, then came the Losi,:w00t: aquick sale and i had the chassis i knew:cup-1:.
I really hope MCD sort it and maybe we'l see a 4x4 hpi baja, the fg will be a serious piece of kit, you'd think with all their experiece.
Come on ftx :2guns: lets have it.

To be fare to the MCD's they were outnumbered buy about 5:1 and as I said they certainly were quick.

Can you tell me what positions the w5's were maintaining before they broke.
Much appreciated Simon.

The MCD's were up front in the heats and i think they were the Ross Mods cars, and in the final they were up there again but just failed to finish. To be honest nearly all the cars in the SCT class were going well and defiantly in my opinion the best to watch. All the guys seemed to be enjoying themselves and I decided on the Losi as they did seem strong and well supported. MMR, ÜBER, Freeprawn, and others all had LOSI's and they all provide a good selection of spares and hop ups, my wallet can vouch for that ! Also the guys I Bash the Baja with have all got LOSI's so it made sense to run the same. And the Losi gets my vote on looks too, it just looked much more scale when racing than the MCD's did.

It's difficult to say as Stevo was racing in the 2wd class & the 4wd class and Richard was running the shop. They both finished the runs they were in, with Richard winning both and Stevo was 2nd & 3rd.

Mike were the losi's engines tuned as well and were the Losi drivers on parr experience wise.
So with Richard winning both the heats he was in, why did he not race at the finish.
I don't mean to be inflamatory, i am just very interested, bearing in mind that one chap has said losi won it 123456.
I am definately going to the next.
Cheers simon:)

at the lsor challenge cup in essex i never saw one losi break and they look the part scale wise,,,next to the mcd the losi looks more like a 1:4 scale and the mcd looks more like a 1:6 but the way stevo was pushing his w5 around was mental i even see one loose a rear wheel and that still carried on going,,,,if i hadn't rebuilt the bug and brought the on road i was going for the losi i think its the best looking sc truck and from some of the vids they take a huge amount of stick in stock form

This sct racing is really going to take off, MCD, LOSI, FG, FTX AND MAYBE CEN.
very interesting.

There was a whole argument about setting up a short course truck class for the BRCA nationals rather than them just running in the open class that we already had in place untill such time as the class proved itself like we did with the 4wd class.
The were a large number of people at the essex meeting from the likes of mmr, uber and other who all said that they'd turn up an support it - not one of them has. We have had a heats worth of sc trucks turn up at the first two meetings, some have come across from the 2wd & 4wd classes and there are a few new faces and thankfully the other classes haven't suffered like we thought they might, infact the numbers have grown all round this year.
What ever car or class people run in, they're supported at the nationals by the likes of freeprawn and ross mods and debates about which is best will go on for an eternity. The fact is, with a good driver on the sticks, any car that is currently used in the BRCA LSOR can win races.

There was a whole argument about setting up a short course truck class for the BRCA nationals rather than them just running in the open class that we already had in place untill such time as the class proved itself like we did with the 4wd class.
The were a large number of people at the essex meeting from the likes of mmr, uber and other who all said that they'd turn up an support it - not one of them has. We have had a heats worth of sc trucks turn up at the first two meetings, some have come across from the 2wd & 4wd classes and there are a few new faces and thankfully the other classes haven't suffered like we thought they might, infact the numbers have grown all round this year.
What ever car or class people run in, they're supported at the nationals by the likes of freeprawn and ross mods and debates about which is best will go on for an eternity. The fact is, with a good driver on the sticks, any car that is currently used in the BRCA LSOR can win races.[/QUOTE

I hope it does take off mike and lets hope that no 1 brand runs away with it, how boring is that, every body with the same car, but no body wants an unreliable car that hits them in the pocket every week.
I personaly think the MCD W5 is an absolutely gorgeouse looking truck, to the point i was going to buy one but to be honest i think i'll wait until i learn a bit more about them.
I'm gona get down and watch you fellas slug it out on the track and then i'll get a idea of what the the best cars run like.
Thanks very much mike.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks