Losi XXL2 gas powered 1/8 Monster truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolauncher

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOS04002

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/losi-lst-xxl-2-gas-powered-monster-truck/

Losi LST XXL-2 Gas Powered Monster Truck

January 29, 2014 - Team Losi - By: RCNT Editorial -  0 comments

Losi LST XXL-2 Monster Truck

HPI has teased us for some time with a Gas powered monster truck with their HPI Savage Octane, but now Team Losi has just unvailed their new Gas powered monster truck - the Losi LST XXL-2!

Losi has taken their extremely popular LST monster truck platform and added a .31 cubic inch gas engine, Losi's Active Vehicle Control (AVC) driving system, waterproof electronics, Spektrum DX2E DSMR 2.4GHz radio system and many other improvements.

Losi LST XXL-2 chassis

With the added AVC the Losi LST XXL-2 automatically adjusts the driving characteristics of the monster truck to match its ferocious power so you can drive faster with more control. Not only will you rarely find yourself far from a full tank of gas, but the included roto-start system ensures the LST XXL 2 is only seconds away from starting up. With advanced durability and legendary Losi 4WD performance, little stands in the way of you and all-out RC excitement when youre in command of the LST XXL 2.

Losi LST XXL-2 gas engine

Losi LST XXL-2 Features

Losi LST XXL-2 Features

Losi LST XXL-2 Specifications

Scale: 1/8
Length: 23.00 in (584.2mm)
Width: 18.5 in (470mm)
Height: 9.8 in (250mm)
Ground Clearance: 3.7 in (94mm)
Wheelbase: 15.3 in (391mm)
Weight: 13.1 lb (5897 g)
Chassis: 2.5mm Plate, Aluminum
Suspension: Oil filled coil over, independent
Drivetrain: 4WD
Tire Type: 420 ATX
Motor or Engine: .31 ci
Radio: Spektrum DX2E
Batteries: 7.4V 2400mAh 2S LiPo
Wheel Size: 4.1 in (105mm)
Kit/RTR: RTR
Shock Type: 5.9 in (151mm), Aluminum
Body: XXL 2, painted, screened
Ball Bearings: Complete
Fuel Tank Capacity: 300cc (10.1 oz)
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Is Assembly Required: No

Losi LST XXL-2

Losi LST XXL-2 side engine

Losi LST XXL-2 under chassis

Part #: LOS04002 - LST XXL-2 Ready-to-Run: 1/8 4WD Gas Monster Truck
MSRP: $879.99

Woot!:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are having Cash flow problems at HPI but they are at Losi to the guy running them at losi has not been there a year yet but back to the motor I think this is the future of 1/8 scale no more high priced and regulated fuel just pay at the pump and go play for now but I see Raceing starting with this motor with in two years

yea im not holding my breath on that truck. to me, a .31 gas engine with a nitro style carb just doesn't add up. it might run on gas, but i don't think it'll make much power.

They run good in planes....Don't confuse 4 stroke with 2 stroke power, when running gas or petrol. 2 stroke (which this is) while polluting more, puts out way more power and RPM's than the equivalent size 4 stroke motor. What I find interesting is they look to have a nitro pipe and manifold hooked to it, They operate in completely different RPM ranges, so the flow and timing should be different ,requiring different shaped exhaust chambers....They must have tried it and liked it, who am I to judge?

remember when hpi first showed off the savage octane a couple years back? it looked like a nitro engine with a nitro pipe. i think thats what we have here, an early prototype.

I was very curious at seeing everything identical to my old LST2 - pipe included.
I'm also curious to the 0.31 cu in / 5 cc engine - very small for a lower power petrol engine - or is it?

We need to see one RUNNING - videos please Losi!!

Why the 300ml tank?
Surely nitro fuel burns faster?

Is there a humongous typo in the 5cc motor?

The high volume LST tank is 220ml.
Al.

Not to side track to much, but HPI also posted a video of the new HPI Octane...

Both look to be nice!

Last edited:
Just ran both videos simultaneously ....
Both trucks have well-respected chassis'.

I love the LST, but have to say, the HPI does it for me for the noise.

Still, if a 5cc / 0.31 can give that power with petrol, that's pretty damned decent - just needs an 8-10cc in it.....

Al.

The Savage does sound a bit better but you're right I was certainly impressed how well the Losi seemed to do considering it being a 5cc engine and the Savage a 15cc.

I wonder how much the motor will cost seperate. I would love to stick that in my Mega Baja (LST). It seems to me Horizon has their stuff sorted a little better than HPI. The Savage has been a teaser for 2 years now so I'm assuming there is some problem they just can't get sorted out. The XXL seemed pretty quick in the vid. 5cc does seem a little small small but if it has the same footprint of a big block nitro than I think this motor itself will sell lile hot cakes if it is well priced. Let's see both trucks released and go head to head!

Came 12 months too late for me!!

Converted my LST2 to BL.
Could have considered petrol. Nitro was great but too .... much hassle!

Electric is ballistic - 6S, XL2, 1717, 2x 3S 65-130C 5Ah batteries - but it has lost some character.

Is this 'small block petrol' going to be as reliable as the normal big blocks or is the high compression going to give it a 'sensitive nature'?

If oil content often depends on revs, and this revs MUCH higher than the HPI / normal petrol type engines, what's the petrol:eek:il ratio?

Al.

i think the savage is pretty sorted out now, its supposed to come out in march.

hpi and horizon went different ways with their marketing on this one. hpi put the prototype out as a teaser, but it sure got the buzz going. it takes time to develop something this radically different, and don't forget in the midst of this hpi ran out of money and paired up with hobbico, so for sure the octane got put on the back burner for a while. once the buzz got going losi jumped on the bandwagon, built a truck and tossed it out there almost ready to go on sale.

I do like the LST layout more than the Savage layout. Some things are harder to access but I think overall it is easier to work on. Can you imagine how much of a bear the Octane will be to work on? They are already bad enough with a nitro motor. Perhaps if I bought new I wouldn't have to fix it so much...

Diffs are much easier to access on the Losi, but the small hex in the chassis screws have got to go. The Savage problems I had were rear upper shock bolts flexing into the fuel tank. during rolls or slams. I went through a bunch of tanks with the Savage. The steering wasn't as good either, and changing that servo was a P.I.T.A. Stock throttle linkage was a joke, but I will say the diffs are now a world better than they used to be pre-bulletproof days....The Losi drives like a truggy MT, the Savage drives like a double decker bus....but boy can the Savage wheelie!

the savage has really improved in the last few years. between the metal cup diffs with the bulletproof gear sets, 4 shock setup (handles better and fixes the shock tower/fuel tank issue), and a couple other small changes made those trucks a ton better. the big fix for the steering is $10, just put bearings in the bellcranks, fixes all the slop and makes it way better. its still a true monster truck, the reason the losi drives like a truggy is its so close to a truggy.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks