Magura Hydraulic disk brakes for Beetle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FG-Posse

Hey there everyone! I just joined today and am in need of some advice. I recently purchased a set of hydraulic disk brakes for my Monster Beetle because as we all KNOW the stock brakes are just crap. The diagrams show that the unit is for the FG Evo road car, but is still supposed to be universal for the FG models. In the diagram however, it shows a different hub with a notch to hold the disk in place where there is none on the Beetle....Also, there is clearly not enough room for the master cylinder to be mounted, or even to move for operation.
So....has anyone installed or tried to jerry rig a set of hydraulic brakes? Tips or pics would be much appreciated thanks guys.

That notch got me too when I fitted my cable brakes, it seems FG fit different squares to their cars according to... well not too sure of the logic but to keep your disc in place you should get the slotted set so you can fit the circlip to keep them in place or else they will wash around on the square and may bind a little, I know of people running without the circlip but I wouldn't recommend it.

I installed the magura brakes in my FG MT, which is about the same size. I also had the diffculty in installing. then i Extanded my Alu servo plate , by have 1 alu strip bolted on towards the fuel tank anout 2 cm in length , by doing this, I was able to install the magura cylinder,

I had to relocate my servo battery.
Regards
ravi

Hey there everyone! I just joined today and am in need of some advice. I recently purchased a set of hydraulic disk brakes for my Monster Beetle because as we all KNOW the stock brakes are just crap. The diagrams show that the unit is for the FG Evo road car, but is still supposed to be universal for the FG models. In the diagram however, it shows a different hub with a notch to hold the disk in place where there is none on the Beetle....Also, there is clearly not enough room for the master cylinder to be mounted, or even to move for operation.
So....has anyone installed or tried to jerry rig a set of hydraulic brakes? Tips or pics would be much appreciated thanks guys.

The air was filled with "cat calls" no pun intended....

That notch got me too when I fitted my cable brakes, it seems FG fit different squares to their cars according to... well not too sure of the logic but to keep your disc in place you should get the slotted set so you can fit the circlip to keep them in place or else they will wash around on the square and may bind a little, I know of people running without the circlip but I wouldn't recommend it.

I figured that would be my best and only route, but I've been searching like crazy to find the things. Any ideas where I should start looking?

I installed the magura brakes in my FG MT, which is about the same size. I also had the diffculty in installing. then i Extanded my Alu servo plate , by have 1 alu strip bolted on towards the fuel tank anout 2 cm in length , by doing this, I was able to install the magura cylinder,

I had to relocate my servo battery.
Regards
ravi

Yeah I figured that I'd at least have to relocate the battery on my car. I ordered a new one anyway, got the hump pack for extra room. I think I may be able to mount the master cylinder perpendicular to the throttle arm by using a servo horn with 4 arms instead of 2. Hell, its worth a shot at any rate. Thanks for the advice.

Which Magura hydraulic brakes did you purchase version 1 or 2? If you purchased version 2 which is the current model then you will need a different radio tray and different battery as shown in this FG newsletter which also has all the part numbers to order from. Even though it shows a pic of the FG Baja the setup is the same for your Beetle.

http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/fg-news-pdf-download/News2007/News018-07-empfVK.pdf

As for the wheel squares with the circlip cut out they are FG part number-6106/01

Last edited:
Which Magura hydraulic brakes did you purchase version 1 or 2? If you purchased version 2 which is the current model then you will need a different radio tray and different battery as shown in this FG newsletter which also has all the part numbers to order from. Even though it shows a pic of the FG Baja the setup is the same for your Beetle.

http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/fg-news-pdf-download/News2007/News018-07-empfVK.pdf

As for the wheel squares with the circlip cut out they are FG part number-6106/01

Thanks for the literature, I snagged a set of extended wheel nuts. Funny thing is I ordered a new 5 cell in-line battery pack for the beetle and they messed up my order and I got the hump pack. Kind of a saving grace as I was kicking my self in the ass for not getting one originally.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks