make yer own tyres!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is gaffa tape and what does the wire do?

gaffa tape is like heavy duty vinyl tape,its really strong,the wire is to stop the centrifugal forces peeling the tyre off the rim,because you have to glue a "strip of tyre" on to ur rim it has 2 meeting edges that have to be secured with more than glue!!! get my drift?
cya out on the trails!!

the tyres are still going strong,the only thing ive noticed is a couple of small bits of foam inner have been gouged out but has no real effect........ any1 else tried my idea?? sho us ur pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are on to somthing if there was a way to cement better so you don't have to use wires, are you having any truble with those tires, what would you cherge to make a set for me????

I'm going to try this soon. I have an extra set of Firehammer buggy wheels that are getting pretty worn. I have been wanting some tires that would work better on the street. Running these stud tires on asphalt is like driving on ice.

tired of tyres?

I think you are on to somthing if there was a way to cement better so you don't have to use wires, are you having any truble with those tires, what would you cherge to make a set for me????

ive been racking my brain,trying to come up with an idea to "vulcanise" the ends of the tyre,the only thing is ,due to the high rpms of the wheels,they want to delaminate and the only thing with enough strength is the wire....if you use knobbed tyres you can tie the wire between the knobs and then it doesn't come
in contact with the road....ive had no real issues,just had one wire come off and the tyre started to delaminate,but i re-wired and glued it and its good as new again!! i used a "gazolodi nokian 3 inch wide 24 inch diameter front mtb tyre as my replacement and it seems to have a good width of tread..have a go at making one,its not too hard,just have to glue it on straight and square on the foam inner!!:cool2:

I have a Firehammer and wonder if the Baja paddle tires could be used to retread some old Firehammer tires?

What do you guys think?

BTW - I went to Wal-Mart and saw some great bicycle tire options for $10 - $15.

I have a Firehammer and wonder if the Baja paddle tires could be used to retread some old Firehammer tires?

What do you guys think?

BTW - I went to Wal-Mart and saw some great bicycle tire options for $10 - $15.

i don't see why the paddles wouldnt work,the trick is binding the tyre to the rim if its been cut.......youll have to drill through the paddles to pass the wire through....or you could cut slots in the paddles to locate the wire....either way, you should get good life outta your new tyres,myne are still going strong after months of abuse!!!!!!:2guns:

prefa1,

Just to make certain I am not lost on this.
1) glue the foam to the wheel (contact adhesive)
2) apply the contact adhesive to the inside of a mountain bike tire after cutting it to size and to the outside of the foam.
3) roll the foam/wheel to the inside of the mountain bike tire.
4) wrap it all with heavy duty tape for about an hour.
5) tie wrap wire around the outside of the tire

If I have this correctly, the beadlocks really will serve no purpose, correct? But they should still be screwed on there.

As for welding the ends of the tire together, nothing has really worked I take it except for the wire holding the tire around the wheel. Too bad the wire can't be "threaded" around the entire tire....maybe possible and leave the loose ends around where the loose ends of the tire are?

Those tires look amazing! I really want to try this once my HPI's fall apart or go bald.

Last edited:
prefa1,

Just to make certain I am not lost on this.
1) glue the foam to the wheel (contact adhesive)
2) apply the contact adhesive to the inside of a mountain bike tire after cutting it to size and to the outside of the foam.
3) roll the foam/wheel to the inside of the mountain bike tire.
4) wrap it all with heavy duty tape for about an hour.
5) tie wrap wire around the outside of the tire

If I have this correctly, the beadlocks really will serve no purpose, correct? But they should still be screwed on there.

As for welding the ends of the tire together, nothing has really worked I take it except for the wire holding the tire around the wheel. Too bad the wire can't be "threaded" around the entire tire....maybe possible and leave the loose ends around where the loose ends of the tire are?

Those tires look amazing! I really want to try this once my HPI's fall apart or go bald.
you got it!!but use 2 wire wraps,one on the outer side of the tread and one on the inner... make sure you use a softer compound tyre up to 3 inch width.. as far as the beadlocks,they don't matter unless they interfere with the fitting of the "retread"

I may just try that since my stadium tire is crap.Also what kind of wire did you use, i found a cable like for garage doors and it's to hard to get it to fit in the little clamps to hold it on, I rather would use the cable and tie it off like yours.

Last edited:
I found that you can actually leave the sidewall of the mtb tire on and screw it underneath the beadlock rings. you have to cut little triangles into the edge of the mtb tire as it folds up when you install it, you basically cut off the folded bit. This gives a better protection to the sidewalls and keeps the foam in good condition.

I tried this a couple of weeks ago at the local track with a pair of 2.1" tires which where definately too small. 3.0" tires is the way to go.

oh yes, and where the tire is cut where it joins back onto itself you can experiment with join patterns other than a straight cut across the tire.

you could cut it in a V shape and when the tire is mounted the V should point backwards when viewed from above. this can help keep the tire in place and should avoid ripping (make sure the pointy end of the V is slightly rounded though)

e.g. like this:

Code:
tire, viewed from above.
|     /     |
|____/______|

Thanks for digging up the thread Bong. I never thourght about this. could also glue a re-tread onto a worn out old tyre so long as you sand all remaining tread off. I'll try it when I've killed my tyres (gonna be a while, as they are new).

well it seem to work from what i have read but i also need to make some foam inserts what would be the best stuff to make them from ? P.S Don't say Foam lol

Ho guys,my Tyrese are still going strong!! I haven't had much time lately to use my car due to family commitments etc... I think the best way is to buy some 'factory' foam inserts unless u can use strips of an old camping mattress made of high density foam or similar (maby a yoga mat too)!!t
you will get dozens out of a single sheet!! Hope this has been of some help!! :euro:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks