Marder suspension tuning tips needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ren,I've just seen the picture on fleebay mate,jeeze,its up to 2K now with 1000 bidders and still 6 days left! Must be really RARE!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
J.

He only takes the dust covers off to insert photos on the LSF, then covers them again .... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Keith I get accused as well, but at least I venture out to Deeside and have several scars to prove it !!

All in good fun and Happy New Year to you.
Al.

I know and I'm not trying to be a pain about this, but there is 8 posts out of 25 that are suspension related and the rest is just chit chat. I like to BS as much as the next guy, but I would like this thread to stay on topic.

I appreciate your suggestions and I am going to try them out as soon as the snow melts in the next few days. I will post up my results.

I thought if we could just keep it to tuning, I could make a reference back to the thread to post up the progress of the tuning suggestions. If it's filled with 20 pages of odds and ends it doesn't make for a good reference thread. And that is all I am really trying to do.

I don't want to piss anybody off or hurt any feelings. I am trying to be as soft spoken as possible. I hope you can see that.

Thanks,
Trip..

The balloon springs are cool but won't work with firehammer mt arms. the fhmt arms are a direct bolt on and work fine with standard fg shocks and springs on a buggy no mods. I was running fhmt arms on mine. I actually have a pair of silver rear and black front balloon springs sitting here.

a lot of the traction roll is the stock tires. like renbar said, the v's dig in on the side. try adding about 2 degree camber to the back wheels. with zero camber, when you turn the weight shifts to the outside and this makes the wheel go on an angle so you are driving on a pizza cutter with nubs. it'll dig in and flip. I might try trimming a bit off the V's myself. not the whole thing but to make it more of a spike

another option would be to buy a set of different tires. fg baja tires, nutech tb2 are good choices. they are more of a block pattern, the baja tires larger blocks, tb2 tire has more foam.

I set up two tape lines measured exactly 15 inches apart from inside to inside. I didn't know it, but the rear is 1 inch wider. I guess I never noticed.

Here is what I started with...

MTlayshaft040.jpg
As you can see the toe is jacked, so is the camber.

Here is after the first adjustments. I have 2 degrees total front toe in. The rear is next.
MTlayshaft041.jpg

The rear is even more jacked.
MTlayshaft043.jpg
Not anymore
Everything nice and straight.
MTlayshaft038.jpg
MTlayshaft037.jpg

The result.
MTlayshaft044.jpg
MTlayshaft045.jpg

After looking very closely I can see why I has having such a hard time controlling this thing, all four wheels were steering and pulling in different directions. The pictures don't really do justice to the wackiness!

The front was toed out about 6 degrees and the rear was out almost 7, but nothing was aimed even close. I thought everything was set up square, but after I taped my lines on the table I saw how jacked it truly was! The camber ranged from +2 to -10 degrees! No wonder it flipped when I just looked at it.

All I used was a roll of tape, a tape measure, a straight edge and an angle finder for setting camber.

I won't be able to run it for the next few days because it's supposed to drop 5 inches of snow on us tonight, so says the weatherman. The only job in the world that you can be wrong everyday and still keep a job!

I'd not thought about just putting tape on my table, looks like it works great. I'm mid rebuild on my car so i'll be having a go at that, up to now i've only done it by eye

That's what I used to do too and you can see how jacked up it was, but it looked straight to my eyes. I also used to stuff it up against a wall to set the alignment. Corners worked well.

Back