Marder upgrades.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarfy

As some of you will know my marder was completely std (and like new!) when I bought it off fleebay almost 12mth ago now. It has been totally reliable and is pretty quick imo :clown: The only changes from std are shock socks (on when I bought it), an x-can and front tuning cable brakes (thanks Voo for both :)).
I want to upgrade it but I am not bothered with spending on alloy as it seems the quality of the plastic is good enough for bashing and therefore I cant justify the cost. So any upgrades will be for improving handling etc
I was speaking to one of the lads at Rossendale Models today who races 5th scales & he suggested king cobra balloon springs for the back & a front anti roll bar would make a massive difference to the handling. I was enquiring about balloon springs & roll bars all round but he reckons the front balloon springs do not give much more over the std springs and the rear roll bar takes away traction so are not particularly worth. I will be buying these in the morning :cool2:
What other upgrades do you suggest? I was thinking of an alloy radio tray next with the brakes using the servo to its max??

yeah dwarfy the rear ballon springs work real well:cool2:

i have roll bars front and back on my standardish marder but only 4mm dia

wire...........have you already got the alloy engine mounts ...if not i

would say this is a must have:clown:

Well bought the rear balloon springs & front anti roll bar today. Roll bar is fitted but springs will av to wait til tomorrow. Just waitin for wifey to finish gettin ready then down to my mates on the lash :clown:
They did say again in Ross mods that the rear anti roll bar takes away grip & best left alone.

No alloy engine mounts Trebor. When I bought it the plastic mounts were broken, the large 1 literally in 2 pieces so just replaced with plastic again, They are still solid at the moment but when they start wearing again I will go for the alloy as you suggest.

Anything else I should consider?

Right Andy,for a decent Marder get the alloy mounts as K said, fook the head off and get a 25.4cc big bore kit from Daves,fg or samba tuned pipe(quiet) or something different if you like LOUD.Personally I wouldnt bother with the alloy radio tray just buy a Carson or hobby pro(same thing) radio tray,they are ultra stiff with virtually zero flex. If you didnt want to spend on alloy buy a carson/Hobby pro front end,my mate has one and he kills his cars but has never had a problem with the front nor other bits yet.
As the video will show,loads of abuse but apart from the shell...all intact.
J.

Last edited by a moderator:
alloy spur carrier, steel pinion. I like the balloon springs, but they don't fit the firehammer mt arms. front brakes. if you don't get a carbon or alloy servo tray, then just add a couple support posts under it to the chassis. that stiffens it a lot.. front side. the 3 point mount lets it flex when braking. a 5 point makes it solid. make yourself a brace from the rear bulkhead to the extra hole on the engine case. if the motor mounts do come loose it will save the layshaft and dif gear.

alloy dif case of some sort. the plastic ones wear out, and then throws grease everywhere. I think you save in the long run on cleaning supplies alone. I need to follow this advice nd get the stainless dif sleeves. and follow the mod list in the fg mt section hehe...

Right Andy,for a decent Marder get the alloy mounts as K said, fook the head off and get a 25.4cc big bore kit from Daves,fg or samba tuned pipe(quiet) or something different if you like LOUD.Personally I wouldnt bother with the alloy radio tray just buy a Carson or hobby pro(same thing) radio tray,they are ultra stiff with virtually zero flex. If you didnt want to spend on alloy buy a carson/Hobby pro front end,my mate has one and he kills his cars but has never had a problem with the front nor other bits yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCiKRrDzAv0&NR=1
As the video will show,loads of abuse but apart from the shell...all intact.
J.

A 25.4cc big bore kit? How does that differ to the 26cc zen thats in it at the moment? Im going to make my own radio tray.
Your mates jumping is on a par with mine...........sh*te :clown::clown:

Thanks for the tips guys. Much appreciated :cool2:

Im a sheet metal worker / fabricator by trade so I will draw it up & borrow the cnc plasma cutter where I used to work so wont cost me anything :cool2::clown::clown:

Well the rear KCR balloon springs & front anti roll bar are both fitted now :cool2: Just need to get out now & see how it goes :cool2:

Attachments

• Photo0343 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Photo0343 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo0344 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Photo0344 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32
I have got the balloon rear springs on my marder. they work great. really good for jumping but not got roll bars front or bak mate

can you use the battle switch as a 3rd channel kill switch:eek:

Sure can foxy. There has been a lot of debate on battle switches or the new smaller pico switches but Trebor seems to have them sussed. Any probs Pm him and Im sure he will help you out. He has posted some guy that will give you discount if you tell him he recommended you :D

You said your car is like new, reliable and stock. If you sacrifice stock (I mean power) you will sacrifice like new and reliable. But for example with pipe your buggy awakes rest of sleeping stock horses. Power is fun, power is expensive and with power you find yourself spending much more time repairing than driving..... but its worth it.

You said your car is like new, reliable and stock. If you sacrifice stock (I mean power) you will sacrifice like new and reliable. But for example with pipe your buggy awakes rest of sleeping stock horses. Power is fun, power is expensive and with power you find yourself spending much more time repairing than driving..... but its worth it.

My mate has an all alloy 29cc with a samba & mine is just as quick cos of the weight difference. The x-can will do for what I want plus I don't want to cut half my shell away.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks