MCD Race Runner to Rally car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zouz10

I was looking at my collection, and since now i have the HPI Baja, I don't use the MCD race runner anymore. In any case, it never really jumped too well.

So I was thinking of converting it to a rally car. But what do i really need to get to make it feasible, besides the body of course.

Chris

I like the Renault Meghan as a body for it. I think i will need the wheels and shocks for sure. The part that I wonder the most about is the lower and upper suspension arms. How wide are the rally cars anyways..

Chris

Chris, I converted my Pre Evo (Evo 1) Race Runner to a Rally car early in 2007 for on road racing.

Apart from the bodyshell (found on ebay for £15, about $25) I tie wrapped a large foam bumper to the existing steel bumper, installed MCD on road body mounts and so I could use the MCD on road tyres, spacers between the hub and the drive blocks. The off road axles were longer than the axles used on the Rally car.

I bashed and raced it with the stock long travel shocks and rather too soft suspension.

The Renault bodyshell should fit the 510mm wheelbase Race Runner chassis.

The longer suspension arms of the later Evo 2 and 3 models make them unsuitable for conversion.

racerunner3.jpg

racerunner2.jpg

racerunner1.jpg

racingpic.jpg

Clive

Clive, thanks for the response.

The Evo 2 that i have has a longer suspension travel indeed. However, the front one can easily be remedied to make it shorter and match the one on your picture.

Did you notice that the wheelbase width was suitable to fit the shell?

Chris

Chris, I ran my converted Pre Evo (Evo 1) with both the medium and long travel shocks at the front and providing you lower the ride height and use a heavier weight oil the handling is still good.

The problem you have with the later Evo 2 and 3 is the on road wheels/tyres stick out beyond the Rally car type bodyshells and it looks odd.

The first photo shows a Rally car on the left and on the right an Evo 2 with MCD on road wheels/tyres mounted at the front. The second photo shows a Rally car bodyshell 'mounted' on the same Evo 2.

dscn0943.jpg

dscn0944n.jpg

Clive

Clive,
I see what you mean. I would basically have to get a whole new arm setup for the front and the rear, the upper and lower.
I will have to price everything out to see if it is still feasible. As long as it's under $500 I will be happy.

BTW: is the body clearance with the Race runner rollcage ok for the rally car. How about the width? I have the exact same Samba pipe on mine as you do on yours, do you think if would be an issue?

Chris

Chris,

You need the shorter upper wishbones, the existing lower Race Runner Evo 2 wishbones can be used if you remove the black plastic spacer and use a shorter bolt for the red plastic rose joint to screw onto.

The Rally car (and Pre Evo) also used shorter dogbones/driveshafts.

There were no issues with the clearance on the roll cage or the Samba pipe.

The MCD Subaru Imprezza and Peugeot 206 bodyshells were a perfect fit on the converted Race Runner. I have not seen an MCD Rally car with a Renault bodyshell, however it is designed for a similar wheelbase and the UK importer had suggested it as an alternative to the MCD bodyshells.

I would recommend you think of an alternative way of securing a foam bumper to the front, I had problems where the bumper would try and tuck itself under the chassis and drag along the ground. Not very clever during a race!!!

With the bodyshell, the conversion might well cost more than $500. Have you thought about spending slightly more on the Redcat Rally car?

I only converted my Pre Evo Race Runner because I found a used bodyshell for peanuts on ebay. I eventually purchased a Rally car for racing and the Pre Evo is still going strong 3 years later having finally been converted to Evo 3 spec.

Clive

Clive,
Thanks again for answering me.

The only reason i was thinking about doing the conversion is because the HPI baja I have is taking up all my time for off roading. I have the FG, but that is stricktly a track car. The next step is going with a rally car so I can do some light dirt runs.

Chris

I just priced out everything I would need without the body and tires. I have an FG bumper I will retrofit to it...

Shocks
Upper arms
Dogbones

Under $300. Which leaves me good room for a body. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Chris

Chris, I forgot to mention you need to use the shorter trackrods front and rear.

I would recommend you try running the car with the long travel shocks before changing to the short or medium travel ones. Just use a heavier weight shock oil though.

Clive

Clive,
Keeping the longer travel shocks will not make the car a little too supple? If I do change them, I will merely rebuild them with new springs, bodies and rods.. They are way too expensive new.

I don't believe I know what the track rods are.. Are they the dogbones that go to the front and read diffs? If so what difference will it make?

Chris

Chris, the track rods are the rod arms/turnbuckles, part number 131-4-DS-1. http://innovativehobby.com/mcdrodarmlongadjustmentturnbucklem6rlthread.aspx

The long travel shocks are fine provided you use a heavier weight oil than you would use for bashing/racing a Race Runner off road. Also it helps to use front/rear anti-roll bars.

However, if you do go for the medium travel shocks, rebuilding the existing long travel ones makes good sense and saves money...

Clive

Thanks Clive.

I priced everything out with the Peugot body and all. It will come out to 630 dollars. I didn't press the buy button yet. I will wait and think it over hard this weekend and will let you guys know.

Chris

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks