MCD RR5 fuel tank is junk, need alternative.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogan Thunder

I am looking for another Tank that can fit the area in the RR5 even if it needs a bit of mod work, I don't want to by a new RR5 tank as it's prone to leaking i do have some JB tank weld so just for fun i tried to stop at least 3 leaks but it still leaks in one spot, it would of been sweet if a Baja tank could fit as i have a few spare but it doesn't, I could buy aluminum tank but they are a bit costly and a decent made plastic tank really is good enough.

1.jpg2.jpg

A fuel tank from a baja shorty will do it, i just need some zip ties & blue tack.

3.jpg

Last edited:
I went with a js tank, zero leaks. They are expensive but the factory mcd tanks suck with out the modded cap which are pricey anyways so I just went to the alloy tank

I went with a js tank, zero leaks. They are expensive but the factory mcd tanks suck with out the modded cap which are pricey anyways so I just went to the alloy tank
I'm not feeling rich enough to buy a js tank it does look great and would never have to replace it again.

I heard the rovan f5 and rf5 tanks are better and don't leak. I haven't tried for myself tho so can 100% testify for them. Should bolt right in🤔
I did see the rovan tank while searching i will probably buy it, it has screws all around it to hold it together i have never seen a tank made like that before.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Actually i won't buy the tank pictured above because it's only available through AliExpress and i swore years ago after the last purchase i would not buy from them again. There is a couple other options via ebay with this other plastic tank to fit the RR5 and also the cheapest alloy tank i have found from FID racing that looks good i'm tempted to get that.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 1.jpg
t.jpg

LOL this is why the old OEM tank is still leaking after applying JB Tank Weld it really doesn't stick at all even before sanding and cleaning the area before applying and it just lifted off with a hobby knife blade. I will try one more attempt with melting plastic around the join seem were it's leaking before buying a new tank that i will eventually buy any way.
4.jpg

LOL this is why the old OEM tank is still leaking after applying JB Tank Weld it really doesn't stick at all even before sanding and cleaning the area before applying and it just lifted off with a hobby knife blade. I will try one more attempt with melting plastic around the join seem were it's leaking before buying a new tank that i will eventually buy any way.
View attachment 93342
There’s this company called flambeau fluids here in the US that make various things using plastic. You can send them just about anything and they can make it. Check them out. You might be able to send in your tank and have them reverse engineer it

There’s this company called flambeau fluids here in the US that make various things using plastic. You can send them just about anything and they can make it. Check them out. You might be able to send in your tank and have them reverse engineer it
Thanks for you're comment...but i wouldn't got to trouble to send this Tank to the US or even locally the shipping cost alone could buy a new plastic tank, i can still buy a new oem MCD tank here in Australia but i was really looking for better new alternative.

Thanks for you're comment...but i wouldn't got to trouble to send this Tank to the US or even locally the shipping cost alone could buy a new plastic tank, i can still buy a new oem MCD tank here in Australia but i was really looking for better new alternative.
Ha! I’m embarrassed now, I didn’t realize you were not in the US.
Even here the shipping is what the tank would cost. I have an older Datsun pick up I sometimes have to have parts reverse engineered or cobbled together, so forgive me.

Ha! I’m embarrassed now, I didn’t realize you were not in the US.
Don't be mate i'm too old for that.

Even here the shipping is what the tank would cost. I have an older Datsun pick up I sometimes have to have parts reverse engineered or cobbled together, so forgive me.
I know what you mean, sometimes i just like to see what other options are available.

Last edited:
Back