mecatech twin piston brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGRYEVO8

Hi guys just got myself a set of Mecatech twin piston hydo brakes for my EVO 10 and when i try and fit the rears the 90 Degree elbow hits the bottom shock mount. My only other option is to turn the fitting so it faces towards the rear of the car and there the brake line rubs against the tire. Has anyone come across this before and know what the answer is, do i have too little rear toe, or do i need the 45 degree fitting. Can someone please put up a photo of their setup.

Funny you should put this post on, I was trying to fit these to my leopard last night.

I was talking to my mate who's an FG on road team driver about this and while I can't remember the exact details, I'll call him tonight and let you know.

Just spoke to my mate and this is what you need to do.

Front
Caliper with the pipe fitting at the bottom and you use a straight fitting

Rear
If you have the later version of the shock mounts 2011 onwards, you need to fit the caliper with the pipe fitting at the top and use a 45 fitting and you'll need to take the caliper off to bleed the brakes.
If you have the pre 2011 shock mounts then you can do it the right way round.

thanks Mike, just spoke to Martin at hobbythek, and he said to mount with the pipe fitting at the top, use a 45 fitting and a dowdy washer with a M5 screw to eliminate the bleed nipple.

the nipple gets in the way and wont let you mount the caliper, makes it too long. even with the quick bleed nipple kit its still too long. the only way to mount with the nipple is to mount with the line fitting at the bottom, but i don't know how much help the 45 will be, or if it will clear the tyre. Have to do some trial and error today and let you know. will post some photos if i have time.

the caliper is too long with the bleed nipple to mount it at the bottom and it hits the lower arm. Will do some experimenting today and let you know hat i find and how well it works.

The guy I was talking to is an FG team driver not just some random bloke so you know he's got a good idea what he's on about :lol:

The mounting plate for the rear ARE handed so make sure you've got them on the right way.

Hi mike i have had to order some parts to finish the install they should be here tomorrow and i will post my findings than. I am determined to mount the rears with the bleed nipple facing up, your mate that racers, did he say anything about the front brake connection 90 hitting the lower arm and acting as a steering stop??
I am 99% that i have the mounting brackets on the correct way round. On the front the calipers wont go on if there not.
I know that on my Baja there were no issues, the only real problem is on the front where you have to tie the lines off out the way because of the steering stop but you can solve that by pulling the stops off.

The front fitting should be straight ones or as you say, the 90deg ones will hiit the wishbone. The front mounting plates AREN'T handed but the will only go on one way which ever side you try them. The rear onare ARE handed.

Best of luck.

Hi mike,
Really sorry mate have had to fly back up to work and so will be here for the next three weeks and didnt get a chance to finish the install, did find out though that if give some gentle persuasion the 90 degree elbow will fit in at the bottom against the shock mount. You can not use the outermost hole though and have no idea how it will go as the suspension moves. Might see if i can get an elbow with a shorter nut so its closer to the caliper. We have a hydraulic shop at work and the guy that runs it will get me in what ever i ask for as long as i can give him a sample, i will also try my local PIRTEK stockist as they make the tube and most likely the fittings.

will keep you posted after the 1st if March

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks