Mega monster won't start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline373

Brand new. Had to improvise on the tank. Fuel lines are connected so fuel in as going to the bottom and return is on the top of the carb. This is correct right? I figured out the choke position and still no luck.

Yes the bottom is feed and the top is return.

You probably have it flooded by now.
Here is what you need to do..

Pull the spark plug and see if it's wet. If it's wet continue. If it's dry skip this part and go on to the next

If the plug is wet and covered with gas, spray it with some brake or carb cleaner.
Blow the plug dry.
Roll the model upside down and pull the recoil to flush out the gas.

After the gas has been blown out by pulling the motor over and you are sure ther is NO gas vapor coming out of the plug hole, put the plug wire on the plug and ground the plug to the head then pull the rope to see if you are getting spark. (be sure there is NO vapor shooting out of the plug hole, if there is vapor, when you pull the recoil it will ignite the fuel vapor and shoot a fireball in your face! Cool way to impress your friends with your new-found shaving method!)
If you are getting spark then continue. If not report back to us.
Put the plug back in and do not use the choke, just pull the recoil a few times until it fires. Full throttle while pulling can help to fire the motor.

Next part:
If you haven't flooded, meaning you pulled the plug and it's dry and the motor doesn't reek of gas, follow this starting method...

This how I have started my motors everytime for the past 4 years.

Prime the primer until the bulb is full of fuel, you cannot over prime this.
Push the choke lever to it's closed position it should be perpendicular to the chassis plate. (lever will be straight up or down)
Pull the recoil until the motor pops. Stop, don't pull it again!
Flip the choke lever to the open position, now it will be parallel with the chassis.
Pull until the motor starts, usually 1 or 2 pulls. No more than 5.

If the motor still won't start after following this exactly, let me know.

Here is a cold start with annotations explaining what I am doing. This method is nearly fool-proof if you have a working motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was flooded. I pulled the plug, smelled like gas bad. I knew it was. Looks too like gas is leaking out of the bottom of the carb. I might have to bring it to a small engine shop I know and see what they think tomorrow. I'm tired of pulling on it today.

I just checked it again. Not sure about that gas leak, it's not enough to drip once after sitting for over an hour so maybe it was some spillage. I pulled the plug again. It was soaked. Repeated flipping upside down and pulling til no more drip. I then checked spark again and it's good. Going to let it sit with the plug out and piston at the bottom of the cylinder and let it dry for a while. Then try it again. I'll let you know.

If you don't have any brake or carb cleaner, you can blast the electrode with a propane torch. If you don't have a torch, you can dunk the plug in rubbing alcohol and light it with a lighter a few times. The rubbing alcohol will breakdown and eat the oil on the plug, the lighter is to burn off the oil and alcohol. If you don't have any alcohol, then I don't know what to tell ya! :lol:

After you have pulled the recoil a few times, the motor will be cleared out. You don't have to pull the poop out of it.

Put the plug back in and skip the choke, pull it 3-4 times with the throttle fully open, it will start.

To be sure the coil is supplying the proper voltage to the plug, grab the electrode with your hand and give the recoil a good hard yank. If you feel a "slight" tingle, you are getting the proper voltage from the coil.

Don't do that I'm just messing with you, it will knock the snot out of ya... That's about 12,000 volts. It'll pop ya one! It won't hurt you, but you sure would hate me for awhile :lol:

Check the 4 screws on the top of the carb that encircle the primer bulb. If they are loose or if the gasket is torn, it can cause the carb to leak.

Post up a vid of you trying to start it so we can see what it's doing. New motors can be funny until you get a "Feel" for them. Especially being a :chinese: built motor, who the hell knows if it was properly assembled?

I have started and ran many small motors without a carb even attached. The fuel mixture doesn't need to be perfect to run. Any small motor that isn't flooded will run by just dripping a few drops of something flammable down the plug hole, it doesn't even have to be gasoline... WD-40 comes to mind...

I remember one time I dumped about an ounce of fuel into a pair of cylinders on an old snowmobile, I got distracted for a minute and forgot that I dumped in some gas, I though, "I better check for spark, this motor hasn't been started in over 20 years". So I pulled the plugs out and laid them on the heads. Grabbed the pull rope and gave it a yank... Well it had spark alright, In fact the damn motor fired up without the plugs even in the heads! It was shooting a flame from the tips of the plugs down and into the combustion chamber! It actually ran pretty well like that.

So like I said, fuel mixture isn't that important. If it has something to burn, it will run.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice however still after trying on and off all night I got nothing. I'll bring it to the mower shop tomorrow and I'm sure they'll get it going in no time. No way for me to post a video right now or I would. I've try clearing out the the engine several times and even squirting wd down the carb and still nothing. Checked spark again and it's still ok though I didn't grab it so I can't say for sure if it was all 12k LOL :w00t: Anyways thanks again and I'm sure i'll get it going tomorrow. I know these motors aren't that complicated it's just refusing to cooperate.

"Squirting" wd in the carb is going to foul the plug! Light mists while the engine is cranking or while it's running is one thing, Squirting wd 40 into the throat of the carb while the motor isn't running will foul out the plug... Remember, once a plug is fouled, it's always fouled. The plug is junk if you covered it in wd. Brake cleaner won't even clean the silicone off the plug. Replace the plug.

Pull the plug, pour in a half of a beer cap worth of gas, replace the plug and pull it. It should fire in 1-3 pulls...

Have you been opening the carb while pulling? Did you look into the carb to be sure you don't have the choke closed off? Also shine a light in the carb to see if the throttle plate is cracked open at idle. If it's closed it won't start.

Hopefully the small engine shop will get you all set up. There really is nothing to these motors... While you are there, see if the guy has a tank that will fit in your chassis... Most of these tanks are just weed wacker style tanks anyway. If not, see what he can offer to seal your tank.

I'm sure it's something simple. It always is.

Best of luck,
Trip..

Thanks man, I'm just going to take it to them today and about the wd, I wasn't squatting it down the intake, squirting was a bad word to describe. It was more misting like you said, I just used the wrong word to describe it lol.

I got it working guys. Sorry for the delay in the update, I was busy playing lol. Anyways, turned out to be a fouled plug, silly me put too much filter oil on my air cleaner and it sucked some of it up and fouled the plug. Cleared it out, put in a fresh plug and it started in about 4 pulls. Ran it today until my steering rack screw came out and that ended my day. No worries, I got ahold of Scott and he's sending me a new tank and I'll go to Ace hardware in the morning and get a new screw, it's a weird one I don't have.

Awesome truck though, couldn't be happier with how it performs. I live in a condo and my neighbors called the office complaining. Took about 5 minutes before I had to find a new spot. I love it! Thanks again for all the help and advice guys, much appreciated.

So I hit up my local hardware store for the steering rack pieces I needed and came up with a great fix for it. Day 2 now running this beast and man, what a blast it is. Took a really good tumble, flipped twice, back on it's wheels and away I drove. Also jumped it up a pretty steep retention pond at full throttle, man this thing can fly too. I can't wait to get my tank so I can put on the tuned pipe and really see what this thing can do. Thanks again guys for all the help you provided. More updates to come soon with some pics hopefully too.

Everything in time. I want to first do something about the steering. In all honesty it's horrible. Any idea's other replacing the servo? It seems to corner I have to power slide the back end to make any kind of tight turn. Is a new servo going to help it corner any sharper? What have you guys done to improve it?

Everything in time. I want to first do something about the steering. In all honesty it's horrible. Any idea's other replacing the servo? It seems to corner I have to power slide the back end to make any kind of tight turn. Is a new servo going to help it corner any sharper? What have you guys done to improve it?

Welcome to 4wd lol. First of move your outer tierod ends on your steering knuckles to the inner hole,and put the inner part in the center hole on the steering rack this should help you a lot. If you want it to corner like a buggy your going to need narrower wheels/tires.
;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks