MT differential upgrade and silicone protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
For all of you FG owners and Clone owners here is a good idea to do eventually. If you do steps 8,9,10 at the time your ride is new it will reduce the chance of major damage to the differential sleeve.

I just bought a replacement for my stock thin aluminum differential cover.
The only thing is it did not come with any how to or watch out instructions and I could have missed out on many of the steps leading to more...

https://www.largescaleforums.com/news/fg-modellsport-monster-truck/fg-mt-differential-upgrade/

Last edited:
BTB,

Reading this article has got me thinking. If I'm going to replace the diff cover why not do any other upgrade that 'might' be needed!?

So before I change the diff cover are there any other diff ugprades I should think about while it's out?

-Michael

just pick up the fg8484 aluminum diff case and the heavy duty cover and shim the diff and u should not have any diff problems. and get the assembly tool also otherwise u will be ready to throw the diff b4 u ever get it back together.

Patience my friends! Take you time installing the gears,they will either fall in nice or you will kick it around the floor for half hour!And it should work then lol!!!!!!!!!

Patience my friends! Take you time installing the gears,they will either fall in nice or you will kick it around the floor for half hour!And it should work then lol!!!!!!!!!
u must have better luck than me. i had the tool and could not find it and i could not get the diff together until i found it.

If you are going to change your differential case, you should just go ahead and upgrade to the alloy diff case (#8484). It will save you in the long run especially if you are in rocky areas.

As far as installing the gears in the diff, there is no secret to it. Just take your time and clear off a good space on your workbench or put the diff case somewhere where it can stand up straight. Once you get two gears in(with diff drive shafts, the other two are fairly easy to get in. After allgears are in, you put the washers on my moving the pin or the diff drive shaft out just so the washer will fit in. Also make sure that you position the differential so the washer you are installing is on top so you are not fighting gravity you are working with it.

It's nice to have a few experts here to help out on tricks and tips. A few minutes of your time are greatly appreciated by many, mentioned or not. Everytime I read a post (must have been over a couple 100's in the last 2 months), and learned something from it, I do thank that person in my heart.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks