My Baja Clone Project, Pt. 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

I'm having a ton of fun putting my new Rovan Baja 5b back together after taking it apart to understand how it comes together. In the process, I discovered that as far as Rovan is apparently concerned, the usual complaint of clones coming apart, nut by nut, screw by screw, and bolt by bolt, would not easily apply to their clones. Lol. It seems that red Locktite was used on everything in the buggy I got. In trying to loosen bolts, most gave me a fight. One head stripped so badly, I had to dremel a groove to used a screwdriver.

My plan is to invest in a little butane torch with which to heat up bolts and screws locked too tightly.

All in all, I'm having a good time. Some of the upgrades I've made thus far, is installed a push/pull steering system. I also reconfigured the top of the cage (the roof) and made it so that I can flip a section up to have easy access to the spark plug. (See pictures.)
photo_editor_ds_1567363433188.pngphoto_editor_ds_1567363572841.jpg20190901_144457.jpg

Last edited:
Those look sweet ,I was thinking about doing my original wheels up to ,as I am more app to make my own
stuff ,an out of what I already have!...:love:
Doing your own stuff is another sweet part of this hobby. My first fifth-scale was a Redcat Rampage XR that in time I converted into a vintage racer by making an aluminum body on my own. Picture below:15673699658998548834886846041998.jpg

Doing your own stuff is another sweet part of this hobby. My first fifth-scale was a Redcat Rampage XR that in time I converted into a vintage racer by making an aluminum body on my own. Picture below:View attachment 53014

That's frekin cool ,I just seen some that was real ,they were hitting speed records in the 20's & 30's with them ,an I mean serious
records in those time periods!....(y)

Thank you, my brother. I know you strive to do good work, too. PEACE

I went back to your pic an looked again ,an everything about that buggy fits with that body an era ,with the way that
the gear cover looks ,the exposed rods an stuff ,makes it give that true nostalgia look ,because that is the way they
did look like with the exposed hardware!.....

Freakin awesome work!.....(y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks