My first large scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is your first, yeah (that was one of the impressions I had with mine).
Granted mine was not the Baja ss (that I later got, and built)
But the FG Modelsport 1/5 scale Formula 1 (now talk about expensive................)
But great car... I sold it, after I built it, but the size was massive (IMO)

Granted being a RC, junkie (or rather hoarder)
I have at least one (if not more of each) 1/10, 1/8, 1/7, 1/5, and even a 1/12 and a 1/20th(something) a small Losi rig, that is fun, but runs for only about 15 minutes. Due to small battery.

Enjoy..

Since it is your first, yeah (that was one of the impressions I had with mine).
Granted mine was not the Baja ss (that I later got, and built)
But the FG Modelsport 1/5 scale Formula 1 (now talk about expensive................)
But great car... I sold it, after I built it, but the size was massive (IMO)

Granted being a RC, junkie (or rather hoarder)
I have at least one (if not more of each) 1/10, 1/8, 1/7, 1/5, and even a 1/12 and a 1/20th(something) a small Losi rig, that is fun, but runs for only about 15 minutes. Due to small battery.

Enjoy..
Cheers mate I'm hoarding onto a couple of kyosho 1/10 nitro cars I have had for around 20yrs last start about 5yrs ago when, i cleaned them up to sell and kept getting low ball offers so I put them on the shelf 😂

I'm amazed at how easy it started I touched nothing and I'm going threw the break in process as we speak 👍

I know the feeling about size (y) My first 5th scale was a Rovan Baja about 5yrs ago, but back then they really were 100% rubbish. They have improved somewhat though.
Anyway only had it a few months then got a DBXLe which was awesome, then bit the bullet and got a 5iveT just after. Now that thing really was HUGE :ROFLMAO:

Oh and welcome to the world of 5th scale, so much better than the smaller scales, but not for your bank balance

I know the feeling about size (y) My first 5th scale was a Rovan Baja about 5yrs ago, but back then they really were 100% rubbish. They have improved somewhat though.
Anyway only had it a few months then got a DBXLe which was awesome, then bit the bullet and got a 5iveT just after. Now that thing really was HUGE :ROFLMAO:

Oh and welcome to the world of 5th scale, so much better than the smaller scales, but not for your bank balance
The thing that really drew me to buying a 1/5th scale Rovan Baja, was like my Harley Davidson, you can pretty much change every part you want, to customise it to how ever you like 😂

Yeah, they are much larger than the common 1/10 scale. Interesting to note that if you compare pricing between the gas powered vs nitro, they seem to cost about the same. At least the fuel is cheaper and easier to find than Nitro.

Also, it is interesting to see those that are not aware of the size until they see it for the first time. The expression on faces reminds me of Christmas as a child. As we get older, our toys become more complex and expensive. I have another large scale toy that is 1:1. That one takes up most of the garage, also runs on gasoline.

Attachments

• 20211005_213133.jpg
    20211005_213133.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190507_133227.jpg
    20190507_133227.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 20
Yeah gas beats nitro hands down (I have 3 nitro cars and know how to tune them so don’t call me nitro hater).
These 1/5th scales simply work, you don't have to look dumb ALWAYS trying to start your engine pulling the crap out of them like you were trying to brutally kill goose by masturbat*ng their neck, you can start a gasser in 1 pull consistently after one week of learning or less.
1 tank = almost an hour of uninterrupted fun, not 5 mins.
You bring your radio to play with them thats it. don't need an entire hecking workshop just to start the car.
Not to mention the space you have to work on the car and the size of the parts makes it easier to troubleshoot, and not even talk about the driving dynamics of an 1/5th scale, I think only traxxas makes a couple of cars like the xmaxx and the udr that have similar and better dynamics of something like a losi 5t, you can see the shocks working and how the cars shifts it’s weight when accelerating or taking a corner with an 1/5th scale

I think only traxxas makes a couple of cars like the xmaxx and the udr that have similar and better dynamics of something like a losi 5t, you can see the shocks working and how the cars shifts it’s weight when accelerating or taking a corner with an 1/5th scale

I still LOVE Nitro, for the weight/power performance. (1/7 and smaller. Certainly, the Jato (I have a few of them).
But yeah, they are harder to tune, and start (most times).

The weight shifting, is because they use BETTER (and adjustable) sway bars. Take one of those off, and see how quickly that nitro, flips at even 10Mph.
Once you get into Nitro racing, I do turns (no problem, at 40/50 Mph, with proper lowering, and medium/soft sway bar setup in front and medium/hard in rear.

I still LOVE Nitro, for the weight/power performance. (1/7 and smaller. Certainly, the Jato (I have a few of them).
But yeah, they are harder to tune, and start (most times).

The weight shifting, is because they use BETTER (and adjustable) sway bars. Take one of those off, and see how quickly that nitro, flips at even 10Mph.
Once you get into Nitro racing, I do turns (no problem, at 40/50 Mph, with proper lowering, and medium/soft sway bar setup in front and medium/hard in rear.
Yeah I might have called it by its wrong term, what I mean is “scale behaviour” like the mass and the inertia makes these cars more “realistic looking”

Yeah gas beats nitro hands down (I have 3 nitro cars and know how to tune them so don’t call me nitro hater).
These 1/5th scales simply work, you don't have to look dumb ALWAYS trying to start your engine pulling the crap out of them like you were trying to brutally kill goose by masturbat*ng their neck, you can start a gasser in 1 pull consistently after one week of learning or less.
1 tank = almost an hour of uninterrupted fun, not 5 mins.
You bring your radio to play with them thats it. don't need an entire hecking workshop just to start the car.
Not to mention the space you have to work on the car and the size of the parts makes it easier to troubleshoot, and not even talk about the driving dynamics of an 1/5th scale, I think only traxxas makes a couple of cars like the xmaxx and the udr that have similar and better dynamics of something like a losi 5t, you can see the shocks working and how the cars shifts it’s weight when accelerating or taking a corner with an 1/5th scale
yeah im amazed at how easy it started today for my second run at the park half a pull, let it warm up then at half throttle the way the stones go flying on loose gravel is awesome followed by a cloud of dust 😁

Rovan, King Motor, Losi, FG, MCD, Kraken, all good. Sure, some may be better than others. In some way, I see the entry level was a means for most vendors to sell aftermarket parts. Run it, break it, replace it seems to be the concept. It is rather addicting once you see it run and move and perform while ripping up your front or back yard. The Large scale to me is one of those take it anywhere size. The realism is there for sure. Reminds me of racing my Mustang, get into a power slide and counter-steer to stay on course. It may be a 3rd person point of view but just as fun. My only complaint about the smaller scale, if it is not a flat surface or pavement with a fine aggregate top layer, you are more than likely to tear apart the bottom of the chassis, get stuck and have no fun with it. I found the small scale off road to be pointless unless you run at a track. I am surprised how well the 1/5 scale performs over loose surfaces like grass, gravel, or other. No parking lot required. All that really matters is the fun factor. Just do not hit any hard surfaces like fences, brick/concrete structures, metal posts or other hard objects like large rocks, trees, etc. It only took me 5 minutes of run time before slamming a wall for a demonstration at a friend's home. At least it was not a person that got in the way. Perhaps it was that distraction along with the family dog that threw me off my A game. It happens. expect to take a walk of shame every now and then. Yeah, that is where some of the realism comes into play, just like with automotive sports, once they hit the wall it is over and parts will go flying from point of impact, drag it to the shop and rebuilt it or replace it. I expected more of a mangled mess but only a few parts were damaged. Time to rebuild.

Ran 3 more tanks threw it today at 3 different places what a pain in the arse the silencer is coming off all the time, the last place I went to was a field of cut grass took me an hour to find it almost gave up and ordered a new one 😂
Think I'll get my mate to weld it on

Attachments

• 16427371022988847364536763091900.jpg
    16427371022988847364536763091900.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 2
These silencers simply don’t work, it is very heavy and has a small contact area to hook on.
If you want a lower pitched and bass-y sound the Losi 5T can exhaust works perfectly with that car as it is has unrestricted flow you get plenty of power to burn tires or do donuts at <20% throttle.

If you want to keep the looks of the car there are pipes like the one it comes with with integrated silencers so it looks more compact and works much better than having a fire hose hanging from the car (your silencer will also hit and get stuck into things)

For the Rovan and King Motor, I opted for the dual exhaust. Not quiet but not ear piercing loud either. I will find out how the ESP modified Zenoah works with that exhaust. I personally like the looks of it and have not noticed much of a difference when compared to the so-called performance exhaust that came on the Rovan. You also need the Rovan rear aluminum bumper to protect it from damage. I first tried it with the King motor (orange one) and had to have the same for the Rovan (silver). Both have a 36cc engine before I slammed the King motor into a wall and is on the repair bench waiting for parts to complete. I will be using the Thor exhaust on the King motor when I rebuild it as I will also install the original 30.5cc engine. (had issues getting it to start, problem fixed as it was just the position of the ignition coil.) The 36cc engine that was on the KM will be held as a spare since I ended up building my own Baja with parts from Detroit Performance RC and DDM racing. It has the Rovan extended arm kit with the Rovan front bulkhead parts but may change that to RCMAX/Taylor to match the rear end. I do not have any good pictures of the Thor pipe except for when I started the conversion process on the King motor while swapping plastic for alloy (last image), (a fool's errand, this process added weight, equivalent to 7 lbs over stock weight.) After I did that, I bought the Rovan that was all aluminum. Some grinding was needed on the rear bumper support to fit the exhaust. There are better exhaust pipes for better performance. I would not doubt I am sacrificing some performance with the dual exhaust, but it is not as loud as the others. Not exactly silenced but close enough. Not sure what to expect from the Thor as I never ran the car with that exhaust installed. Jumped right into the dual exhaust setup.

Attachments

• 20211107_115603.jpg
    20211107_115603.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211125_111025.jpg
    20211125_111025.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211125_090947.jpg
    20211125_090947.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211016_181458.jpg
    20211016_181458.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 6
Agree mainly with what Dash stated. The silencers DO NOT WORK. Actually, if anything, they rob power.
(Welding) being one of the things I am certified in. It would be better to use something more like a actual car muffler, as a diffuser (baffle).
But yes, you would have to try a few tube(s) out, to get the noise (acceptable to you).

At a park, or public place, I would not worry about it. Your neighbors, now that is a different story.
Personally, my neighbors see me go up and down (or rather side to side, in my POV) the streets often enough, they just close their windows. I have not got one complaint yet. Granted, I live kind of like a cul-de-sac.

And usually run it (or rather them, all my RCs) when most are at work.
Sadly, being disabled, it has that one advantage. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks