My MCD monster truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith, guess what?
You WON'T believe it.
My hunch was 100% correct, not just 30%.
FG and MCD monster RIMS have identical dimensions!
I've just returned, jet-lagged and with too much energy, before I collapse exhausted!!
I bought an MCD monster wheel + tyre, extra tyre, and one pair of 'cheap' white plastic FG monster rims.
I removed the tyre from the rim - not mounted / glued - of the MCD and compared FG and MCD - both near-as-dammit identical - NO DIFFERENCE OBVIOUS (apart from the blasted valve that is!)
The tyre is simply a tyre.
One FG wheel with one one MCD tyre seals so well it could almost function without insert, just having some 'give'.
The other definitely requires a 'good gluing / mounting' to seal well. I know they all require gluing or beadlock mounting.
MCD tyres fit perfectly on FG rims. There is no change in tyre profile as both MCD and FG wheels are the same diameter and width.
Are you certain you have inserts in your MCD MT wheels, or that they are simply sealed well?
Alan.

Hi Keith.
Seems like occasional MCD parts are like gold-dust. The FG tyres aren't THAT different in dimension.
I'm going to fit FG inserts, and see how it goes.
A little give is actually what I want - will give more traction. Hopefully won't fatigue the inserts too quickly if they're not that tight.
I should know within a week I reckon.
Alan.

Keith,
I do hope he enjoys the alloys - that's the problem with a 'custom' job!!
Despite the 'custom' look of my truck, I intend to 'bash' it, and I don't believe with all of that power and force - linear, lateral, vertical - the glue will hold.
Don't want to wish it on him, but it would be embarrassing to say 'sorry, have to stop guys, I've got a flat' !!
MCD tyres on FG rims look great - seems like I'm a tad radical!
Alan.

Keith,
One last pearl of wisdom please;
When gluing large scale, do you insert the rubber and feed in a bead of superglue, thus only gluing the outside, or do you place the wheel ready inside the tyre, feed a bead of glue all around the groove then feed in the tyre, this potentially getting both inside and outside the tyre bead? (If you understand where I'm coming from? !!)
Alan

To complete my misguided contribution to this thread, please see the 2 photos so far.
MCD MT tyres fir on FG MT wheels PERFECTLY AND WITHOUT PROBLEM!!
Do you recommend drilling a 'breather' hole? Not present.
Alan.

Last edited:
To complete my misguided contribution to this thread, please see the 2 photos so far.
MCD MT tyres fir on FG MT wheels PERFECTLY AND WITHOUT PROBLEM!!
Do you recommend drilling a 'breather' hole? Not present.
Alan.

If you don't drill a breather your truck will be 'bouncy' Been there,done that:clown:
J.

The mis-mounted FG tyres on FG rims (2 x H on LHS, 2 x M on RHS - please explain that one!!) all do not expel any air.
The 2 MCD MT tyres on the alloy J A Racing rims are similarly well sealed. Put quite a lot of weight on, and they only swell out slightly.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks