My new "Alloy" wheels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't going to paint them, but I was tired of the yellowish color they were becoming, so I had to do something.

I tried white, but it sucked bad! I forgot that I bought this Krylon X Metals stuff, so I thought I would try it out, I think it looks awesome...

Marderinthesnow087.jpg
Marderinthesnow091.jpg
Marderinthesnow094.jpg
Marderinthesnow096.jpg
Marderinthesnow099.jpg
Marderinthesnow115.jpg
Marderinthesnow098.jpg

You can't really tell by these horrible resized pics from photobucket, but the metallic has a prism effect.

The paint is supposed to be a base coat to make any surface look like Anodized Aluminum. It really does look like shot peened alloy, up close. This paint is also designed to be covered with a top coat of color to add to the anodized look.

Here are some pics I found that shows better detail than what my crappy camera can pic up.
181807.jpg
143341.jpg
143644.jpg
161259.jpg
153459.jpg

The yellow pic looks just like the mine, but without the yellow tint. But you can see the effect I ws going for.

Last edited:
There are a few sags, but it turned out pretty decent I think.

After the 10th coat of paint dried, I covered it in 6 coats of clear.

The pant needs to be applied "Dry" by holding the can about 14-16 inches (35cm) away from the work surface.

They came out really nice man. Maybe I should just paint my rims. That way I only have to remove one just to fix it. How do you think a lime green paint would come out? Sorry to thread jack.

Lime green is not my thing, so I have no idea... Find some plastic and spray it to see if you like it... Try to stick with enamels and avoid lacquers. Lacquer goes on better and looks better, but trying to find clear lacquer since '08 is about impossible here in the States (Thank-You EPA). Clear Enamel is everywhere and cheap! I just used Walmart poop clear, i paid less than a buck for a can.

Before I commit to painting a body or something I am going to cover in a thick clear coat, I grab a clear 2 liter bottle and cut it in half. Then I spray whatever paint I'm thinking about inside the bottle and if it's a candy paint, I can play with different back colors like silver, gold and black. I spray it in the 2 liter bottle because the clear plastic looks similar to the clear lexan of a body or the shininess of a heavy cover of clear. Much cheaper than destroying a 150 dollar body...

Thanks Pete, I think they look better too. I wasn't diggin the crusty white look.

They came out really nice man. Maybe I should just paint my rims. That way I only have to remove one just to fix it. How do you think a lime green paint would come out? Sorry to thread jack.

These wheels and tyres are cheap enough at $30 a pair and the tyres are very grippy. Not sure on availability in the US though??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Step-Stud-Tyr...ntrolled_JN&hash=item255b51fa42#ht_637wt_905=

They are from Rossendale Models so they would post over to you. Maybe drop them an email?

These wheels and tyres are cheap enough at $30 a pair and the tyres are very grippy. Not sure on availability in the US though??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Step-Stud-Tyr...ntrolled_JN&hash=item255b51fa42#ht_637wt_905=

They are from Rossendale Models so they would post over to you. Maybe drop them an email?

Thanks but I wanna do my stadium rims. Trying to make a trophy truck out of my Marder.

Lime green is not my thing, so I have no idea... Find some plastic and spray it to see if you like it... Try to stick with enamels and avoid lacquers. Lacquer goes on better and looks better, but trying to find clear lacquer since '08 is about impossible here in the States (Thank-You EPA). Clear Enamel is everywhere and cheap! I just used Walmart poop clear, i paid less than a buck for a can.

I normally don't either but I'm going for another monster energy theme.

Those have an incorrect offset for our buggies, those are for the Cleon, Leopard, Supercross and MCD buggies. I think they will work for our Marders, but the wheels will really be tucked in.
Thanks but I wanna do my stadium rims. Trying to make a trophy truck out of my Marder.
I normally don't either but I'm going for another monster energy theme.
That will be interesting.

Guys I dyed my wheels black. It works really well.

Good job Trip :) looks nice.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm just not diggin the whole short course style... I was into it back in the 80's with Walker Evens and whatnot, but now it's just too odd looking for my tastes...

I am actually contemplating going to onroad.

I thought about that to but if I went on road with a 5th I would definitely need a running buddy. Off road I can run solo if I have to and still have fun. On road I gotta race some one even if its just for fun.

Those have an incorrect offset for our buggies, those are for the Cleon, Leopard, Supercross and MCD buggies. I think they will work for our Marders, but the wheels will really be tucked in.

I met up with Tongham Runfold off here and he runs them on his marder beetle. They fit exactly the same as std wheels and he reckons the grip is excellent. If so they are good VFM.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks