My old Savage son returns !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So making progress now that I have PARTS ! Diffs all inspected, shimmed and rebuilt. Diff cup outdrive bearings were definitely on their way south. Spent the day checking and straightening bent brackets. Taking extra time to swap out quality hardware and slightly longer screws to add integrity to the chassis. The 5.9 TVP's had a slight warp to them, but after some persuasion with a dead blow mallet and a precision straight edge scale they are nice and straight. It's starting to look like a roller !

DSCF1277[1].JPG

DSCF1278[1].JPG

Last edited:
Done, looks great, and "as new" condition drivetrain wise and a few personal upgrades. baseline setup diffs precision shimmed and 30K diff fluid F&R. 40wt shock fluid and RC Boyz triple rate springs. Added some extra aluminum chassis cross braces , and my "Ofna" throttle / brake linkage setup. New crank bearings in the Axial .32 and she runs pretty dam good, looking forward to getting a mild day and getting a precise tune. Little bit of a PIA sourcing out a few missing OEM parts to complete , but I eventually did find everything I needed. With the extra large 5.9 tires i'm going to try 15/49 w/ the 3 speed gearing and see how I like it.

DSCF1303.JPG

DSCF1302.JPG

Be carful, the 3 speed tends to lock in third sometimes
It's funny you say this, honestly I don't share a lot of warm love for the Savage 3 speed. I remember when the 3 speed was released from HPI back around 2005 ? It sent the savage community into a wild frenzy. I thought to myself that your adding mechanical complexity (vs the 2 speed) in an attempt to gain some possible quicker acceleration and top speed in a heavy MT that's very top heavy and corners like a "grocery cart loaded with bowling balls" :oops: ? At first the inexperienced bashers could not get the 3 speed to work as you needed a perfect tune and peak rpm's to allow the shift into 3rd especially if you had a "standard" performance .25 or .26 engine . I had the same problem with the "no 3rd". Then I lowered my gearing by running a 14T clutchbell (the std Savage 25 bell was a 15T) and that was a huge improvement on shifting and acceleration. But in theory by doing this I lost potential top speed. So IMO there was not really a net gain running the 3 speed. Now jump to today with mega hp .30cc+ engines more the norm maybe the 3 speed has more significance in true performance gains ? I have another trans that's a 2 speed and it has reverse. I'm just going to ultimately try both combinations of trans configurations and see what I like the best. I have a feeling that I will actually like a 2 spd w/ reverse a little better for my intended terrain bashing.

Honestly want to get this just because lol. Last I knew I thought they were going down 🤔. These were very hard to come by for wiite sometime
JP, if you are toying with the purchase of the LRP .32 pm member CrucialRC , he has one and he can give you feedback, he's a great guy to deal with. Very knowledgeable on 1/8 nitro in general

I've had a few, had one in a savage I did a few years ago. Wish I kept this one. Was one of my favorites. Had one off towers, and wind mount on it. View attachment 71960View attachment 71961View attachment 71962View attachment 71963View attachment 71964 View attachment 71958
WOW, nice job ! That's a really tricked out Savage ! Are the big bore shocks really worth the investment for the average basher ? I've thought a lot about a 4 shock alloy conversion but always seem to talk myself out of it..

WOW, nice job ! That's a really tricked out Savage ! Are the big bore shocks really worth the investment for the average basher ? I've thought a lot about a 4 shock alloy conversion but always seem to talk myself out of it..

These are actually very nice shocks. They are a integy body and caps, with hpi internals. About the only integy part I would use. I triple o-ringed the shock shafts and used slime and had zero leaks. They held up very well bashing and with its weight were much better option than the hpi bigbore option. I also used a traxxas upper spring for a dual rate style shock. It handled very well and took jumps good.

You can also use the bigbore hpi shocks and hellfire aluminum caps, my plastic caps always would snap off. Why I went with the Integy bodies

These are actually very nice shocks. They are a integy body and caps, with hpi internals. About the only integy part I would use. I triple o-ringed the shock shafts and used slime and had zero leaks. They held up very well bashing and with its weight were much better option than the hpi bigbore option. I also used a traxxas upper spring for a dual rate style shock. It handled very well and took jumps good.

You can also use the bigbore hpi shocks and hellfire aluminum caps, my plastic caps always would snap off. Why I went with the Integy bodies
Can you give me links to the Integy parts I would need ? Thanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks