My Sportline needs a faster top speed!!! Can anyone help with gearing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedemall

My sportline is topping out way to fast and I'd like a higher top speed out of it. The car is an awd with single speed,currently the gearing is 40T spur,24T pinion. The motor is a G260. In order to accomplish what I want to do, should I go up on the pinion,or go up on the spur gear? Also,there seems to be no way to adjust the space between the two gears if you were to go up,or down for gearing. Am I stuck with the gearing that I have? I am used to running electric cars and being able to move the motor back and fourth to compensate for gearing changes. This will be my first time attempting something like this on a car of this type. Being a noob to 1/5 I apologise beforehand if my questions make no sense. Hopefully someone can help or give advice.

Thanks!

you will have to change both gears mate on fg's the teeth and upto 64 in total try going for 38-26 or whatever you can find to get more topend you need a bigger gear on the clutch and smaller on the layshaft

actually, on an fg onroad, you can change pinion and spur gears independently. the standard is 40-24, however you can use any combo of 39, 40 and 41 tooth spur gears with 23, 24 and 25 tooth pinion gears. this is possible because fg uses regraded pinion gears, the diameter of the 39-41 spur gears are all the same, the tooth thickness is just a little different, same deal with the pinion gears.

for more top speed go with a larger pinion gear, a smaller spur gear, or both. you can try a 39-25, it in theory will give you more top speed.

another thing to keep in mind is the engine and tuned pipe. you can gear the car for more top speed, however if the motor doesn't make the power it wont go any faster. i had a 26 in my onroad, i was disappointed with top speed, didnt seem to matter if i ran 39-25 or 38-26, on the straighs i was getting passed like i was standing still. i changed to a 23cc, now with a 24/40 its far quicker and the motor actually pulls up top. not saying to go out and change your engine, however there is more to top speed than just gearing

I've noticed that with the apparent gear diameters without actually seeing it in writing - thanks Sharkey.

Don't forget a good tuned pipe will give more power, but WHERE? If you make the gearing taller - smaller spur, bigger pinion - your initial take off will be slower.
If you fit a tuned pipe, odds are you'll LOSE some bottom end, and gain quite a bit higher up the rev range. With taller gearing you might bog a little.

This is where you go to a high rev clutch. If I'm right, you can get a 9500rpm spring for the 'standard' clutches.
The normal spring is around 6k I think, so you can compensate for 'low end bog' by getting a stronger clutch spring.

You can win, but you'll have to experiment a little.
Al.

Hmmmm,From everything posted it seems I have some experimenting and deciding to do. It's making me lean more,and more towards doing a brushless conversion to get the speeds I want. Thank you to everyone for the advice,and tips. I really appreciate it!!

Hmmmm,From everything posted it seems I have some experimenting and deciding to do. It's making me lean more,and more towards doing a brushless conversion to get the speeds I want. Thank you to everyone for the advice,and tips. I really appreciate it!!

You can get the top speed on gas. Running a OBR 29.5 power plant
I got my fg evo running some serious top speed. Send me a pm if you have any questions. Taking it back out for speed runs this Sunday. Looking to go faster.

46 tooth diff gear, 18 tooth layshaft gear

28-36 75.0mph/120kph @ 18720rpm
30-34 82.0mph/131kph @ 17760rpm
32-32 84.6mph/136kph @ 16800rpm

This could also be the reason why I can't seem to get up to speed!! Clutch was surely slipping like no tommorow Lol. I picked up a 26/38 gear combo yesterday so we'll see how that does.

Attachments

• IMG_20130310_174245.jpg
    IMG_20130310_174245.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20130310_174251.jpg
    IMG_20130310_174251.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks