MY VINTAGE RACE CAR BODY SHELL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

I was determined to make my Redcat Rampage XR look like a 1920s Italian race car; something like the Alfa Romeo Tipo 40/60 (the red car in the photo gallery) Of course I couldn't find such a body for a fifth scale rc car (or for any other rc scale for that matter), and knew I had to create it myself.

To do so, I had 2 options: vacuum form it out of polycarbonate plastic or fashion it out of a sheet of aluminum. I knew the latter method would be less involving, in terms of process, and chose that one.

It was a five-day learning process for me--snipping and bending and drilling and riveting and micro-bleeding from nicks along the way (lol) ... and then I was finished.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190528_083245.jpgIMG_20190528_083021.jpgIMG_20190528_101254.jpg19201-580x482-1.jpgIMG_20190528_082924.jpgIMG_20190528_083146.jpgIMG_20190528_082246.jpg

That looks awsome ?? dose it rattle a lot?
Iddle vid please??
Doesn't 'rattle in the least. Video coming up.
Doesn't 'rattle in the least. Video coming up.
The only sound, other than the engine, is the rattling sound of the rear turnbuckle links. Shot an idling video, but for some reason it's not uploading. Will try again after my phone gets a full charge.

Last edited:
I was determined to make my Redcat Rampage XR look like a 1920s Italian race car; something like the Alfa Romeo Tipo 40/60 (the red car in the photo gallery) Of course I couldn't find such a body for a fifth scale rc car (or for any other rc scale for that matter), and knew I had to create it myself.

To do so, I had 2 options: vacuum form it out of polycarbonate plastic or fashion it out of a sheet of aluminum. I knew the latter method would be less involving, in terms of process, and chose that one.

It was a five-day learning process for me--snipping and bending and drilling and riveting and micro-bleeding from nicks along the way (lol) ... and then I was finished.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 51601View attachment 51604View attachment 51608View attachment 51602View attachment 51610View attachment 51611View attachment 51612
Nice that looks really cool. Just a suggestion . If you ever decide to refine the design. Use Sheets of copper instead of Aluminum. Reason being you can solder the pieces together instead of rivets.

Nice that looks really cool. Just a suggestion . If you ever decide to refine the design. Use Sheets of copper instead of Aluminum. Reason being you can solder the pieces together instead of rivets.
Never thought of copper. Truth is I am a novice to any kind of metalworking. I just thought aluminum would be good and manageable. I didn't even know what gauge aluminum to buy and settled for 24 gauge. I should have gone thinner, but what the hell, I managed somewhat.
But thanks for the copper heads-up.

I like the aluminum and rivets.... I like that old time look. Cooper imo wouldnt have done it justice.
Lol. Thanks, Seandonato73. And I agree. Copper would not have given me that old, Mercedes Silver Arrows look. And that rough, handbuilt look complete with rivets was EXACTLY what I was shooting for. PEACE!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks