Mystery Glitch Driving Me Crazy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after a few hrs of bouncing between hobby shops I was unable to find a antanne tube that would fit over my throttle rod. I tried putting some fuel tubing but it caused the rod to stick and not spring back to the closed position. I ordered some hydro brake line, the same that renbar has on his bug but I'm in usa and seller is in uk, gonna take forever to get to me. I could really use a suggestion.

After some scrumaging around I found a spring I was able to fit ahead of some fuel tubing to push the rod back to the closed position, it was rubbing against the tubing and sticking. So with the tubing over both throttle and brake rods I was optimistic that this was gonna work so I go to fire her up and at first no glitching then.... Anything past 1/4 throttle it glitches like madd again. I am truely outta ideas here. I even bought a rf shield and put it around the servo wire and still no help. I don't understand what's happening to cause me to be the only one in the damn world to have such a problem like this.

I'm using the ngk cr7hix and cr8hix. But I''ll give that plug a shot. Is there any way to ground the plug to stop interference? I was searching the web and noticed the airplane guys seem to get this problem a lot. One guy said he sodered a wire to the plug and cnnected to the engine and it stop the issue for him.

The plug is already grounded by being screwed into the motor.
I can't see a grounding wire making any difference.

So after a few people suggesting to try a different servo I did. I just didn't see how it could have been the servo when disconnecting the linkages it stopped glitching but I went ahead and did it anyways. Hooked up a old analog with 6v regulator and bam no glitching! So I decided to see what would happen with the hs7980th running on 6v and again no glitching. Weird? I did tape up the servo with electrical tape so maybe that was it. At least it's safe to run now and I can start having some fun with it! Just bought about every gear combo and a set of grp onroad tires so I'll throw up some vidz when I get it out next. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Thanks Phil. The bonehead I am, @ 2am I decided to get everything buttoned up for running today and I some how shorted out my 6v regulator! Unreal, just picked up a nimh pack so I guess when my new reg comes in the mail I'll have 2 batteries now lol.

I would try a new spark plug I had the same problem on my losi and it went away. It worked for me so why not try it :)

Thanks Phil. The bonehead I am, @ 2am I decided to get everything buttoned up for running today and I some how shorted out my 6v regulator! Unreal, just picked up a nimh pack so I guess when my new reg comes in the mail I'll have 2 batteries now lol.
It happens
Believe me I know!!

Yup the lhs confirmed that one. Doesn't seem to be my issue anyways.

did you try another servo, and check the servo wire, it mite have a cut and toching something , creating sparatic servo moves. I would try another servo if there are no wire cuts. If problem continues then it is the trot chanel on the receiver .

Sounds a bit like stray electrical noise is somehow getting into the servo through the linkage, alloy servo horn and gears. Is it a metal geared throttle servo?

I don't have any solutions except switching the servo (something may be worn and touching the circuit board) or faffing about trying to insulate where the linkage joins the horn (would be a right pain in the ass)

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have fixed the issue. Was either the alloy plate which I re tapped or for some reason it could have been the lipo because I swapped it out for a nimh and everything is running smoothly now. I just found it so weird that the servo stopped glitching when I removed the linkage, just didn't see how it could have been anything else but motor interference.

A few questions:
1. Both servos are HV - can take 2S LiPo so why are you running a 6V regulator?
2. Both servos are top of the range, high power servos and will pull the juice, what's the capacity of the regulator - 5A, 10A, 20A?
3. Are the servos being powered through the Rx, or do you use a U-BEC?
4. For these high power servos, have you considered a power by-pass - only the signal goes to the Rx, the battery powers the servos directly?
http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/pro...pply-cable-with-electronic-switch-1-pce-.html
http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/pro...e-servo-direct-power-supply-cable-1-pce-.html
I doubt any Rx will be able to power those servos directly, and particularly at 2S LiPo.

A few thoughts.
Al.

1-yes
2-unsure it's the dynamite 6v reg
3-through the rx
4-Not really. I knew/know they are out there but didn't see a reason.

Problem has been fixed but it def was a weird issue. I did a few things at same time so can't be 100% which was the issue unless I try and make it happen again, not doing that! lol. What I can tell you is when I swapped the servo for a analog one w/ 6v reg powered by a 2s lipo there was no glitching. So I then went ahead and put the digi servo back in but this time with the 6v reg connected and it has been working ever since. Now when I reinstalled the digi servo I wrapped it in electrical tape and also tapped around my servo plate for good measure. Both the servo housing and plate are alloy. So that's why I am unsure which was the problem. Right now I'm running a 5000mah nimh without reg and yet to glitch out.

I made my own power bypass with a bunch of servo connectors I got off eBay, I didn't like the idea of 3 high power servos supping juice through the rx main circuit board.

Now you mention regulators, I did run one for a while and found it caused glitching because it could not deliver the current I needed, hence soldering up a power bypass

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks