Need a lil help with charging!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

hi guys, i bought a new charger a few months ago (Graupner Ultramat 6) ...up until now ive been kinda "oldskool" as ive been using a delta peak charger wit easymode 1 button\o/ anwyway....

The packs i want to charge are:

Reciever:
4300mAh 6v C-Size (5 Cells) (Similar to this pack http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/info_61.html

Transmitter:
2200mAh 9.6v (8x 1.2v AA-Cells) which is similar to the pack below except mine is 2200mAh & the one below is 2100mAh:

8 x AA 2100mAh Nimh+
Capacity : 2100mAh Measured at 140mA (0.2C) discharge.
Max Discharge Current : 7,200mA (7.2 Amps)
Max Charge Current : 1200mA

However im kinda new to charging these types, the charger i had beforehand only did C size for my reciever, & all i had to do was connect the battery pack to my charger & press 1 button to begin charge then just leave it as it was a delta peak with cut off... The only reason why i bought a new charger was my old one would only charge my reciever packs, it was not capable of charging my transmitter pack as it had no selectable current charge etc, so i had to charge my transmitter packs using the bog standard mains adapter that had to be left to charge for hours! So i wanted sumit quicker as i was able to charge my reciever packs withing 15-20mins, but not my transmitter packs :(

So i wanted a new charger that was able to charge both my reciever & transmitter packs quickly, not at same time i know!.. just 1 at a time, i visited my model shop & he suggested this charger which i handed over the dollar for (Ultramat 6) he did explain to me how to use it but it kinda went in 1 ear & out the other!, also that it was a few months ago & ive not yet used it..but now im ready to start using my RC again, i want to use it!

now for the tech bit..

My charger has 2 seperate switches:

The 1st says "Charge Current(A)" & has a choice of either 0.2, 0.5 & 1.0
The 2nd says NiMh/NiCd, Delta Peak (mV/Cell) & has a choice of either 5, 10 & 20

So what i need to know is what setting do i put these switches for both the different packs i want to charge? Chances are i will only be using my new charger for charging my Transmitter packs as i will continue using my old charger for my reciever packs as it does them with no problems so i can have both chargers on the go charging both packs at the same time :)

any help much appreciated guys!

Thanks in advance :)

Daz

The spec for your TX pack says charge current of 1.2A so you will have to use the 1A setting on your charger. The rule of thumb for AA's is a max if 1A charge rate anyway. don't go higher than this or the cells will get too hot during charging & you will shorten the cell life.
Not sure on the mv/cell fro your receiver pack tho :blush:

Tiz, Did you go to Steve Webbs? Can the charger cycle batts? Go with what Andy says,I have a charger here that can bang 10amps through and charge a 7.2V pack in 3 mins,but the pack wont last for long at that rate.
I now use good quality AA's(2900) and charge over 14Hrs just to be on the safe side.
J.

I charge my 4100mah receiver pack at 3.5a which take about 1h30mins ish. It states on the pack that it is suitable for quick charge at 4a for 1hr10mins but I have settings of 3.5a and 5a on my charger. I don't want to risk the 5a although it would probably take it cos the manufacturers design in a certain element of safety and also they will lower the max charge rate slightly to ensure a longer life of the pack. Easier on the customer services dept :clown:

Rule of thumb for charging

a high amperage charge will give more punch from the pack initially but lower run times.
slow charge less punch more runtime... so slow charging is better anyway.

as far as mv/cel, you need a lower number for aa's as they don't detect the peak as easy as a sub c and can be over charged

Tiz, Did you go to Steve Webbs? Can the charger cycle batts? Go with what Andy says,I have a charger here that can bang 10amps through and charge a 7.2V pack in 3 mins,but the pack wont last for long at that rate.
I now use good quality AA's(2900) and charge over 14Hrs just to be on the safe side.
J.

Aye m8y, got my charger from there as its only 5 min away from where i work in helsby \o/

thanks for help guys :)

1 more question! .. ive got both my transmitter packs on charge using the normal wall charger, left em on over night.. turned on my trnsmitter to check voltage & both say 11.0 for the battery voltage, is this the max for them :) ? because they said about 10.8 before i went to bed & they don't seem to be charging over 11?

not been able to charge my AA transmitter pack on new charger yet as its wrong connectors! :( so gunna have to wait till in the week when i take a visit to steve webbs to get right connectors :)

i did have a prob with my reciever batterys as they didnt seem to be charging properly, even on my old charger which is kinda fool proof 1 button mode!

it seemed what they needed was a few cycles as i aint used them for so long, i ran about 4-5 cycles each, on the last cycle the packs became warm during charge as they should so hopefully they last the full duration now & not 30mins! :)

off to delamere today wit a couple of mates, they got a Savage & Helffire, so shud be a fun day out \o/ will post pics lata & video if i remember to shoot some!

ty again guys for your help :)

Last edited:
How many cells are in your pack? If its 8 at 1.2v each (the norm for re-chargeables) then that will give you 9.6v so its showing more per cell than the rating.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks