Need help with DDM pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torred

I'm trying to get my DDM (blemished) pipe installed on my 5t 2.0. The support brackets don't fit. I've got the long bracket at the top right of the pull start, short bracket at the top right of clutch (both as you're looking at the part). With either bracket fully lined up, the other one wont. In the pic, I have the header snug, pipe & header fully inserted, pull start bracket bolts in. The clutch bracket is about 1/2" short. What am I doing wrong? Or should I just buy some adjustable links instead?

Attachments

• 20191228_172214.jpg
    20191228_172214.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
That's the blemish. You're screwed.:LOL: I recall having a bit of fitment issue with mine. Slide the silicon past the header connection, assemble both links loosely. If you tighten one side you can't line up the other side is what I recall happening.

According to the instruction pics, one bracket is at an angle but all the bolts are in. Mine is nowhere near. I know the header & pipe are slipped into each other. But I guess I can take the silicone hose off & try without that, see what I can get. I also flipped the header adapter 180° & that made no difference.

No need to remove the silicon. Just slide it enough so you have free movement with the pipe. Adding some pics for you. May or may not help.
Notice that I have the longest bolt through the dogbone by the clutch. I installed it loosely, got the link attached on the other side, then used mechanical force of the bolt and nut to make it fit.

Attachments

• 20191228_174725.jpg
    20191228_174725.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191228_174808.jpg
    20191228_174808.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191228_174821.jpg
    20191228_174821.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the pics TDC. I just did a test fit without the silicone & it lined up a lot better. Put the silicone back on & it looks like the silicone is being pushed off the header adapter where it changes to rectangle, causing the whole pipe to be pushed out. I still need to pull the engine for other stuff, so I'll do that & then finalize the exhaust.

In the first pic you see I have one hose clamp on the sleeve. I'm gonna recommend going with 2 clamps. I need to do that myself. I had crap dripping out the other day from the sleeve farthest away from the clamp.

I pulled this thing out xmas evening to start the install of all my black friday stuff & have tinkered with it for at least an hour a day. I'd install something, try the pipe, get pissed, & stare at everything else to install. All the while, having beer. There's been plenty of beer consumed...

Quick update: I pulled the engine today to install the crankcase Outerwears. Got that just about wrapped up. Tried the pipe & either I got bolts mixed up or a supplied bolt is too long going into the clutch housing. But it's all lining up. Also, apparently the last time I had the engine out, I forgot to put back in the clutch support bracket screws.

Quick update: I pulled the engine today to install the crankcase Outerwears. Got that just about wrapped up. Tried the pipe & either I got bolts mixed up or a supplied bolt is too long going into the clutch housing. But it's all lining up. Also, apparently the last time I had the engine out, I forgot to put back in the clutch support bracket screws.

Given the fact you just told us that last time you forgot some bolts....

I will go with you prob got some bolts mixed up ?

Given the fact you just told us that last time you forgot some bolts....

I will go with you prob got some bolts mixed up ?

It seemed like I lost a bolt or got them mixed up. But, there's only 2 bolts that are the same style & hadn't been used. I figured those were the ones that came with the pipe. One of them didn't seem like it would be grabbing enough threads. I decided to not chance it. Found a matching bolt at work that's longer, cut it down some, cut extra threads, cleaned it up, & painted. I'll post a pic of that when I get around to finishing this.

It's been a bit since I've put some work in, but here it is. Replacement bolt on the right. Just a hair too long, but when I put the clutch housing washer back on, it let's the pipe support bracket snug up before tightening down. I have a feeling it could cause an issue down the road & I'm worried it may cause the housing to crack. Next time I take that bolt out for whatever reason, I'll shorten it by 1 more thread. She's good for now.

Attachments

• 20200107_221949.jpg
    20200107_221949.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 3
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks