Need help with gear mesh. I get a squeal just sometimes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small2Large

Firehammer MT.

So I've been trying to get this mesh set correctly for days. I know to remove the triangle to see the mesh I'm setting and I feel like its there good. I can roll the truck 20 feet on the ground and its smooth, no noise.

I can even start it and run slowly with no noise, but once I go full throttle, it squeals badly.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Firehammer MT.

So I've been trying to get this mesh set correctly for days. I know to remove the triangle to see the mesh I'm setting and I feel like its there good. I can roll the truck 20 feet on the ground and its smooth, no noise.

I can even start it and run slowly with no noise, but once I go full throttle, it squeals badly.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Use a business card between the teeth to set the mesh.

Is it a bad squeal? Pinion and spur gear looking okay? No loose set screws?

Use a business card between the teeth to set the mesh.

Is it a bad squeal? Pinion and spur gear looking okay? No loose set screws?

Its bad. LOUD. Like a scared pig mixed with a bag of nuts. I've put Loctite on every screw in there.

Both gears look good.

I did find something from my tear down earlier today. The screw that connector the motor mount to the triangle snapped so part of the screw is still inside the motor mount.

So pretty much the triangle is no longer connected to the motor. Would that cause this horrible squeal?

the squeal is from the layshaft gear (counter gear) spinning on the layshaft. Pull the shaft out of the car and tighten the set screws, armstrong the piss out of it and you should be good to go.

the squeal is from the layshaft gear (counter gear) spinning on the layshaft. Pull the shaft out of the car and tighten the set screws, armstrong the piss out of it and you should be good to go.

I'll have to get some new set screws and flatten the shaft some more. Can't believe that the gear is still spinning on the shaft.

My onroad had similar problems. First sprocket from layshaft came loose. I saw sprocket was badly worn and lasted only half tank after same kind of squeal again. Layshaft gear was totaled and slipping. I bet with alu motormount this could ever happen even with unperfect mesh.

The layshaft is the same thing as a spurgear shaft right? It has 3 sides filed flat where the Pinion gear goes on with three 5mm set screws.

You all are saying that the set screws are not tight enough and the spurgear shaft is spinning inside the pinion gear, correct?

That could make sense if that's what you all are saying. I'm pretty certain the mesh is good. I can lift the rear end up and give it some gas without any squealing, only under load does it yell.

I hope that its. I just got some brand new 5mm set screws and a 5mm bolt. I'm going to take out the old set screws and use the bolt to make sure the holes are clean and free so the set screws can get tighten down real good.

I am saying maybe those 5mm screws or maybe your pinion gear tooths aint as new. Or diff gear. Anyway some gear is slipping. Hold your car by hand without bodyshield and give some gas.... you should see what gear is spinning adn what aint

Is it squealing or gear whining? My firehammer had a lot of gear noise that it would drown out the exhaust almost. Nothing was loose, except on the differential gear side where it rests in the bearing was separated from the diff. This caused the gear side of the diff to move backwards under load causing the internal gears to mesh at an angle. I wouldn't say it was squealing but it did definitely sound like a pissed off pig.

Finally got it figured out. You guys were right about the layshaft.

I started the truck up, pushed down on the rear end and held the truck in place. The harder I pushed, the louder it got and then the rear gears just stopped spinning all together while the layshaft kept spinning.

I took it out and filled it down with my dremel. I put some new setscrews in the gear with some blue loctite. I have to wait 1-6 hours to let it dry which I was not doing before so that may be part of my original problem.

That should be it though. I used my new ball driver set to tighten the piss out of those three set screws.

:)

THE FINAL UPDATE!!!

I finally figured out what it was. It was due to my broken screw in the front engine mount that attached the triangle to the to the engine mount.

Under load, the chassis was FLEXING which allowed the pinion gear to pull away from the large diff gear. That's the squeal. So my mesh was good, but that meant nothing when the chassis flexed.

So I drilled out the broken screw in the top of the engine mount and also drill out the triangle to fit a 4mm bolt. I threaded it into the engine mount and we're all good.

Finally. Now I can sell the buggy roller. :) Also got a DDM pipe on the way so this is perfect.

UPDATE AGAIN. I just finished running for about 25 minutes, only reason I stopped is cause I got tired. I love this damn thing. New problem I got is the rear tires won't stay glued on, lol. So awesome.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do it to my FG next, mines starting to slip again too.

Would these knurled cup set screws maybe help solve the problem with some red loctite?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=6pz8jc

Just realized the links don't change once you get into the catalog. Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

90289a764.gif

Last edited:
Small: you look in my thread you will find a chassie mod I did long time back for flexing..
of the chassie pan...Had the same problem..figured it was chassie flex causing the gears to not mash correctly..Slawhammer..

I found the thread, but the pictures are gone.

Can you get them back up?

I think I am still getting some flex when landing from jumps and other rough times. I hear the squeal but it only last for a split second.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks