Need help with walbro 997 carb issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillin4life187

Hi.

So I have an HPI baja 5b and a Rovan 32cc baja.

Both cars have been kind of sluggish lately so I decided to rebuild/clean the carbs on both. After taking apart, cleaning and resembling both now I have the following problem with the walbro 997 carbs. When I go to prime the engine prior to starting the carb does not want to prime. Absolutely no fuel is sucked into the bulb. I have checked fuel lines, tried with choke on/off, and even disassembled both carbs only to find that they are in fact currently assembled and hooked up. Since I'm not able t prime, I'm also not able to start either car.
What is the issue and what can I do to fix it? Please help!! Ive been tinkering arounf for the past 4 nights unable to figure out the problem.
Please cite any sources or link any pics/info that would be of help to me.
Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Remove both fuel lines from the carb.
Pump the bulb and check each side of the carb.
One side will have suction indicating the inlet (pickup,) from the fuel tank, the other side will blow out which indicates the outlet to the fuel tank.

If you don't feel suction and or positive pressure on either side of the inlet/outlets, you have a leak somewhere in your carb...

All the best,

Chris

Yes both fuel lines are properly hooked up.

When pushing on the bulb, air does come out of the outlet valve.(the black part your fuel line attaches too.)
No suction on the oter side however. So still no gas in carb.

You have have a leak at some point at the intake side of your carb.
(Or at the intake line, or possibly the clunk line in your gas tank.)
That's why no gas is being drawn from the tank into and through your carb.
I wish I could be of more help, but the only thing I can suggest is break down the carb (and the gas tank clunk and internal/external,) fuel line,) and go through everything once more.

Their has to be a problem somewhere, it's like detective work, it takes time and patience and going over the same thing a few times
until the problem is solved...

All the best!

Chris

Thanks for all the info Chris. My patience wore thin so I went ahead and just ordered a new carb. Im still going completely disassemble the carb but I don't expect it to run again or be of much use. Ill use it as a training tool in case it happens again. I ugraded to the walbro 1107 model. Heard good things about them so I figured its time to upgrade anyway.

Yes, I agree, good choice!
I never attempted to take apart a carb as I knew that I would never get it right.
Just make sure to check all of your fuel lines for any cracks, especially at the connections.
Glad to help!

Best regards,

ChrisI

I had the same issue not long ago, took the carburetor apart and gave it a good blow out thinking that they may of been a blockage somewhere, to my joy that what it was. Old dry fuel. Fired the female dog up and all seem well.
I Will try it out tomorrow to piss off the locals.

Best

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks