need opinions on a diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkey

i had bought a technokit locking diff on ebay, turns out it had all worn out fg guts and no self locking mechanism. i put the best stuff i had in it, now after a few months i destroyed it, i think the only salvageable parts are the bearings. ive got a few options, the first would be to rebuild the duratrax aluminum diff i have, although the carrier is in pretty tough shape. it needs new side and spider gears just to get it going. however at this point im thinking i may just be better off buying a whole new diff, im just not sure on what one.

so as much as id like a power locking diff i just cant justify that sort of money. one of the sites i order from has both the 2 fold and 4 fold self locking diffs on sale. now i see there is also the aluminum adjustable diff, and the viscous locking diff. i know there is also several other differentials out there as well (carson, lauterbacher, technokit, oddified).

my problem right now is im just not sure what to go with. i run a parking lot track, its not the cleanest, and im not very a experienced 1/5 scale driver (been racing 1/10 nitro touring for 10 years). so what would you guys recommend? id like to say money is no object, however when the diff went it took out my outdrives, so now is the time to upgrade to balldrive axle set, so the budget is getting eaten up in a hurry.

i guess the best thing to ask would be for the people that have the 2/4 fold diffs and the adjustable diff (without the frictions) is how stiff they are. the adjustable one without clutches says you can adjust from 0% to 90% blocking effect. does the diff actually get that stiff? im a bit leary of this diff as all it does is put pressure between the diff case and the one spider gear. the 2 fold diff is the same way, but it has friction plates between the side gears. the 4 fold most interests me the most because it appears to have a better design, were the adjustment puts more tension on the frictions. my only concern with the 4 fold is if i need to back it off, will i be able to loosen it up to where its closer to an open diff? also on the 4 fold diff, im not really seeing a reason i couldnt remove the frictions behind the side gears for less blocking effect, or am i missing something there?

im running a 4 fold locking diff in my beetle i haven't got it set up as adjustable but will be soon its a good diff i only run off road it leaves two lines in the grass every time i floor it never realy wants to spin car round if it spins the wheels its both not just the one cant comment on how tight it feels as its not adjustable feels the same as standard diff cant wait to make it adjustable but no real need so far if you know what i mean but well worth the money seems very strong

so did you do the conversion on a standard diff then? the only 4 fold diff i see is adjustable.

been looking on some other forums and all i can seem to find is people saying that the oddified mag diff is the only way to go, but im not spending $500+ on that. the viscous was another popular option, but ive read cases of them leaking and thats not something i want to deal with

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks