Need some input on MT5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rez

I am new to the FG, I have been trying to learn as much as I can about them the last couple of days. I have an HPI Baja 5B right now. There is an MT5 on craigslist and I am not totally sure if it is the best deal but I am very interested in it. Here is the link to it... http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tag/1560829107.html
What do you guys think? Is it over priced or in the right ball park?

Thanks for any and all help

not bad but it does not state how used it is. Just take a good look at it and make him run it in front of you. The tires in the pic are backwards.
The price he paid for just the truck is high. WHen we were selling them in the prime of business, they were only $1100 for just the truck, you can now get a new one for $850 or so.

I questioned him about the tires being on backwards. He said it is because it is easier on the drivetrain and he really only used it on his sod farm so he didn't want to tear up the grass. I have a lot more pictures of it. It looks really nice in the pictures. I am just debating because I could do a lot to my 5B for $1000. I just want something that will hold up very well and that will haul. I really want 4x4. He is a really nice guy that owns it. he says he just never uses it so it is time to sell it.

nice find. from the one pic it looks very tidy, if you got more pass them through.

id like to know how long he has had it for and how many litres have gone through the engine.

i don't agree with the tyres going on backwards making it any easier on the drive train, doesn't make any sense.

I agree. I got confused by that also. Whatever I guess. I will ask him those questions and go from there. Is FG generally better then redcat?

it looks in good nick and personally knowing what the FG's are capable of if I had the money I would consider it as well.

I don't know how accurate that it hasnt had a gallon through it, i know if I had one of these sitting around for 1.5 years id use it a fair bit so don't take that info as gospel.

overall from what ive seen which isnt much it looks like a good buy, if you could see it run that should cement your decision.

I decided against it... At least for now... I thought we had 1/5 class in our current circuit. Looks like I am going to get something brushless and keep my 5B. Turns out we really only have a nitro series here. i prefer 2 stroke and electric so I am kinda screwed either way..

EDIT: Since there are hardly any places for me to race, I will just bash for a while and buy the FG!! He gave me a real good price on it.

Last edited:
Update your location.

Where are you at in MN. PM me if you like.

Weather sucks right now but will be fun to have more 1/5 scale owners in MN to bash with.

Any chance you can let us see the other photos now that you own it?

What deal did he give you if you don't mind sharing?

I am going to pick it up on Wednesday I believe. I live in northfield by the way. He is selling it for $900. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of it..

Attachments

• rc trcuck.jpg
    rc trcuck.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
  • rc truck 2.jpg
    rc truck 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
  • rc truck 3.jpg
    rc truck 3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 15
  • rc truck 4.jpg
    rc truck 4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 14
That truck looks superb!!
Hope you enjoy it.
Who cares if the engine's been used more than 1 gallon?
If the engine's really stuffed, you can re-ring for peanuts, or upgrade as your wallet permits!!
Some people on the Forum talk about reversing the wheel treads for various reasons, I just think there must be a reason why the 'real' ones DON'T !!
ENJOY!!

Here are a couple more pictures! I had to go to work before. Horrible weather around here lately.. In one of the pictures it shows the on/off switch cracked, he put a new one in it, upgraded the diff cups, rear arms, cvds and some other stuff.

Attachments

• rc truck 5.jpg
    rc truck 5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 14
  • rc truck 6.jpg
    rc truck 6.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 14
  • rc truck 7.jpg
    rc truck 7.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
  • rc truck 8.jpg
    rc truck 8.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 15
900 is more like it. That makes it a good deal on a used truck you are unsure of.
It is nice to see it has the rear upper and lower alloy arms. That will take most of the flex out of the rear. Not that flex will be a problem since it has an alloy spur and carrier. The two piece pipe is OK but the Dom is a better pipe yet louder in my opinion.. What is the JR servo in the throttle brake? Looks like he also used a Hitec for steering, is it the 5745 or 805BB?
Wheelie bar is a bonus. The body is a real eye catcher and always cost a small fortune to paint.

It is missing the pin from the side cage to the motor on the pull start side. You will want to replace it since it also helps keep the motor from moving and also tightens the pull start.
The part number is 6183/1 and you will need the screw 6183/3.

Do you know if it came with alloy motor mounts.
Get yourself a redneck filter to cover the stock and that will be good for a long time.:)

Congrats!

well, he sold it to someone else... Time to either mod my 5B or get a brushless truggy... It is kind of a funny story, he had it for sale for about a year, then all of a sudden, me and one other guy wanted it at the same time. I had him down to $800 for it too, he sold it for $1000. Oh well I guess.. I probably would have done the same thing.

Last edited:
I got a new plan. I traded my 5B for a Redcat Rampage TT. I love it so far. Turns out my LHS has a real nice FG MT for sale. It has the 2 speed, upgraded servos and linkages and Samba pipe, Magura hydraulic brakes for sure. They will sell it for $800 alone or with these really nice forged aluminum beadlocks for 1050. I think it is a great deal. The rims alone retail for $465, they have never been mounted and only one of the 4 has been taken out of the bag. I am not sure how to tell if anything else is done to it, I will get some pictures of everything. I am going to buy it in a month or two. I just ordered a 30.5 kit for my TT, it would also work on the MT so I may have to get another one.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks