New 1/5 on road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wefishtoo

Hi Guys.
i need some advice. my son wants a 1/5 on road. The choices here in Australia are the smartech twister with the 23cc engine and merc body or the fs on road with the 30cc engine and nissan body.
I already have a baja and the fs king kong ( which i find very very good)
I assume that the 30cc fs would have more grunt and top end vs the 23cc smartech. What are your thoughts?
I can get the fs for around $AU 550 or the smartech for $AU750
Bringing something in from the us is not economic right now.
Thanks in advance,
Peter

wondering what you decided on as this is an old thread... hmm. i would go with the fs as it comes in all-wheel drive. that will make it easy for him to handle. the smartech is a good choice, but it wont be as much fun on dusty parking lots. most parts are compatible with fg for the smarty-tech. if you allready have an fs, you may already be aware of the weak points and have some spares that will mate up well. let us know what you went with..

I went with the fs. Unfortunately i could only get the 2wd . Waiting for the 4wd increased the price by $300 with the $ the way it is. Very powerful. can only get about 40kmh before i lose traction. The stock tyres are rubbish. No one here in Australia keeps tyres/rims for the fs with the square drive. Contemplating modifying to 24mm hex.
I do have an FS king kong but what weak points do you know of apart from the cheap bearings?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

You would have better coverage in the Clone area for that one. On road is a quite place lately.

HEY! we arent quiet, just undercover..lol! correct me if im wrong, but i thought the fs took standard fg square hubs. the stock tires should be your first investment, but with the 2 wheel drive it will always be a little slippery on a dusty lot

Dusty lot, road surface, doesn't seem to make any difference. Just seems to lose it around 40kmh. i did some camber caster adjustments, so will try again. Maybe bag the tyres up to get more heat on them. If it gives me more grief i'll turn it into a buggy.

The guys that run F1's around here say that about some of the stock FG's that they just don't bite as well as the GBE's (sp). Must just be the type of rubber used.:(

you need to find an FG dealer. someone over there has to have the tires for them instock. Powerslide Racing maybe?

you can call Simon (forum sponsor) at SBRacing in the UK. or MMR/UK. i think both carry a large assortment of the wheels and tires for your FS. i think they are basically the same as FG tires. also you can check EBAY Austrialia. GPS make 1/5 scale tires for onroads. the are pretty reasonable cost wise, and are said to be nearly as good as the FG or other High end tires like PMTs.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks