New alloy shocks don't fit???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobermory

Hi all,
as some of you might all ready know i have just bought a set of full alloy fg shocks for my Shengqi hummer. they arrived today (my new wheels did yesterday) and when i tried to fit them the threaded bar that is supposed to go through the bottom of the shock and into the wishbone doesn't fit as the bar is to thick.im just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to fix this problem as i don't want to drill the hole in the shock bigger as it might weaken the shock.any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Toby:D

Hi all,
as some of you might all ready know i have just bought a set of full alloy fg shocks for my Shengqi hummer. they arrived today (my new wheels did yesterday) and when i tried to fit them the threaded bar that is supposed to go through the bottom of the shock and into the wishbone doesn't fit as the bar is to thick.im just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to fix this problem as i don't want to drill the hole in the shock bigger as it might weaken the shock.any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
hi buddy,if im correct, the fg shocks that you get on the martder and mt are thicker,i think the shenqui hummer is the same as the carson commanche and the xtm grizzly, they have the thinner fg touring style shocks.

hi buddy,if im correct, the fg shocks that you get on the martder and mt are thicker,i think the shenqui hummer is the same as the carson commanche and the xtm grizzly, they have the thinner fg touring style shocks.

thanks for the info Hyper,
so if im wright the shocks wont fit my hummer. ive fitted the front shocks and they fit fairly well its the back ones that are the problem, its just the hole in the shocks isnt big enough for the threaded bar to go through other than that the shocks are perfect.
Toby:)

thanks for the info Hyper,
so if im wright the shocks wont fit my hummer. ive fitted the front shocks and they fit fairly well its the back ones that are the problem, its just the hole in the shocks isnt big enough for the threaded bar to go through other than that the shocks are perfect.
Toby:)

my dad just came up with an idea but im not sure if it would work. do you think that if i put fg marder lower wishbones on the hummer that it will solve the problem, is the bolt in bar in the wishbone of the marder smaller than the one in the hummer/firehammer.
thanks

How much thicker? A few thousand could probably be shaved off with no problem.. What are the two bolt sizes?

the top of the shock has a plastic insert and the hole is quite abit to small. but that one isn't really a problem as i could just replace the bolt and nut.
its the bottom of the shock that is the problem. there is also a nylon insert in that hole aswell and if that was pushed out it would fit, it would be tight but it will fit. the problem that im thinking that may happen if i do that though is that the aluminium of the shock may react with the steel screw and that the steel screw might wear away the aluminium. is this right??? if it isnt i will just push the nylon insert out and get a different bolt for the top of the shock.
Thanks

yes the nylon is there probably to prevent wear from movement of the shock. Depending on your radio it could setup a metal on metal rubbing that can cause interference as well. Not so much a problem with today's radios, but with r/c airplanes it would definitely be a no-no.

With that said, a lot of 1/4 scale shocks are metal to metal in that area with no problems.

As for wear, I would think that nylon insert would wear faster than just metal/metal. That is why I am thinking its either to reduce noise or allow for a cheap replacement instead of buying the bottom unit or new shock, just replace the insert.

If you had a lathe you could machine a stud for the back side, then just run the smaller screw into it through the shock. I am just not familiar with that car:)

yes the nylon is there probably to prevent wear from movement of the shock. Depending on your radio it could setup a metal on metal rubbing that can cause interference as well. Not so much a problem with today's radios, but with r/c airplanes it would definitely be a no-no.

With that said, a lot of 1/4 scale shocks are metal to metal in that area with no problems.

As for wear, I would think that nylon insert would wear faster than just metal/metal. That is why I am thinking its either to reduce noise or allow for a cheap replacement instead of buying the bottom unit or new shock, just replace the insert.

If you had a lathe you could machine a stud for the back side, then just run the smaller screw into it through the shock. I am just not familiar with that car:)

Thanks Magnum.
ive done abit more research since i posted this thread and i have found that the fg marders use a grub screw with a non threaded end on it so the shock will fit. i think this will solve my problem and i will order some of them.
thanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks