New carbon bits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Striffy, 3.2 should be ok but you may have issues with the required spacing between the front steering plate and the radio tray as well as the brake brace. If you look carefully I have added an additional spacer made of carbon between the steering and radio tray and an additional 2 spacers between the radio nad brake brace support. This worked out to have exactly the same measurements as the factory plastic items.

doggy, bought mine on fleabay. Think the seller was named carbon girl or something like that. Just make sure you go for the fine weave sheets and not the larger weave one.

My Attempt

Well you inspired me and I did the same.
Seesh not easy, and black crap everywhere.

MCD1.jpg

MCD2.jpg

MCD3.jpg

Also stripped the black off my roll cage

Striffy, looks good, I had to file a little bit on my carbon fiber servo tray, and yes black all over, and itchy in places I shouldn't have been. Hard to believe the mass it makes, looks very good though. A great suructual upgrade.

Striffy, looks good, I had to file a little bit on my carbon fiber servo tray, and yes black all over, and itchy in places I shouldn't have been. Hard to believe the mass it makes, looks very good though. A great suructual upgrade.

A lot of filing was done on mine too. Yep my arms were very itchy.

I also cut the legs of the plastic tray. In doing so made them a tad smaller so using JB Weld (Similar product) lengthened the arms up, and used those for under the carbon tray. Probably not needed but makes it look more factory finished.

hey striffy ! where did you end up getting ur carbon fiber? and was it the small weave and 2.5 mm like what mono said? i plan on doing a tray for my mcd and fg offroaders. ur tray looks awsome man! keep up the good work and i hope ur not ichi no more.

I believe he got his from the same place I did. Do a search for Graphite Girl on ebay and send her an email if she doesn't have any 2.5mm fine weave listed as she may have some anyway. She's (Robin) awesome to deal with and very quick to reply with any Q's.

There are no weight savings swapping the plastic parts with carbon. What you gain is additional stiffness which stops the radio tray from flexing when steering.

The CF chassis won’t work on anything but the latest Evo 3 models as all the others have an angle on the front where the arms attach. I guess you could make a separate alloy plate and attach it the carbon chassis if you were really keen but the thought of all those rocks hammering that nice carbon :no:

If you want to look at weight reduction you could possibly drill some well placed holes in the chassis to lighten it up a bit. I did this to my Baja5b and shed over 100 grams.

I am currently replacing the long standard steel lower A-arm bolts with titanium in an effort to try and reduce unsprung mass a bit. Dollar per weight reduction isn't that flash so I suggest only replacing the biggest heaviest bolts with Ti otherwise the cost soon adds up.

Thats looks great monotheist, very good work for a saw and a dremel, I know I don't have the patience to do that by hand :no: . The more I look at this stuff, the more I am aching to get my MCD in and start making parts. I have alreadt contacted Largescalerc about getting a race runner as well, so it begins.........again :) .

The more I look at these pictures you guys have up, the more the gears spin.

A word on working with carbon fiber, wear a respirator, that dust settles into your lungs, and it never comes out, it just builds up over time until you start coughing chunks of lung up. If you are going to work with it, with the ol' saw and dremel, have a spray bottle of water, and keep everything misted down to keep the dust out of the air.

Thats looks great monotheist, very good work for a saw and a dremel, I know I don't have the patience to do that by hand :no: . The more I look at this stuff, the more I am aching to get my MCD in and start making parts. I have alreadt contacted Largescalerc about getting a race runner as well, so it begins.........again :) .

The more I look at these pictures you guys have up, the more the gears spin.

A word on working with carbon fiber, wear a respirator, that dust settles into your lungs, and it never comes out, it just builds up over time until you start coughing chunks of lung up. If you are going to work with it, with the ol' saw and dremel, have a spray bottle of water, and keep everything misted down to keep the dust out of the air.
Buy a rally car:helpsmilie:

hey just been looking at post,

what great CF work, i was trying some myself & made gear cover, what fun,

as monotheist, its great seeing waht you can make with minimal tools and a bit of effort. i've made a few alloy bits too.

p1030772mediummb2.jpg

p1030770mediumkw9.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks