New CY 36cc teardown and blueprint.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no bipod but scopes yes lol... my old man has a .454 casull.youve got one heck of a revolver?since were showing off? one of my toys. .458 left 5.56 right. Crappy pic of the gun. New age version of @lorraine 45-70

Attachments

• 20180415_164334_1523825729233_001.jpg
    20180415_164334_1523825729233_001.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180602_165217.jpg
    20180602_165217.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
@lorraine has a 45-70 Henry rifle. Bullet diameter it 0.458" I have an ar15 built in .458 socom. Basically newer version of the 45-70. The second pic was the comparison between the .458 and the 5.56 or .223 that's in a standard ar15 platform.....off topic sorry @Polar_Bus
As a side not polars 460 is just a tad bigger then what Lorraine and I have?
Edit: had to fact check my self. Polars is a tad smaller bullet @.452 but a higher velocity round at the same weight = bigger bang ?

Last edited:
You got a lot of hostility bottled up. If there comes a sad day when I paint a bullseye on the CY engine it will be with my S&W 460 mag revolver :devilish:(y) . Trust me there won't be nothing left but shards of aluminum... But for now it's a good learning experience and only cost me $12 in gaskets and seals.

Ever see a handgun with a bipod ? Now you have. LOL
Well hell if you can make that out of a rovan, I'm going out back to dumpster and get 3 of them rovans and send them to you so you can whip me up a S&W 500

I don't want to derail this thread, but love to chat and post firearms, ill open a firearms thread in the Chaos sub forun, post pics of yer stuff ! ?

Before you get too far along, I would change every screw in those motors! They will not stay torqued period !!. Get REAL 12 grade and make SURE you replace that flywheel nut and that crank key!
The next time you put a order in at DDM get their degree wheel for setup, You would be amazed at how much the key slot in flywheel and key pocket in crank wander all over the place in those motors. If you mix and match flywheels and cranks with those motors you can get up to 2 degrees advance in timing!. Wakes um up pretty good using the right junk parts together ! Lol Lol................
Also there seems to be alot of wristpin thrust washer failure in those motors. I have not looked that close into it but maybe with a dremel and a micro burr you could add some lube pockets and channels to let the go juice hang out up there a little longer, Just a thought.........
I don't want to derail this thread, but love to chat and post firearms, ill open a firearms thread in the Chaos sub forun, post pics of yer stuff ! ?
People from New York, Think twice about posting any pics of your bang sticks! You all know where I'm coming from..................

Last edited:
Before you get too far along, I would change every screw in those motors! They will not stay torqued period !!. Get REAL 12 grade and make SURE you replace that flywheel nut and that crank key!
The next time you put a order in at DDM get their degree wheel for setup, You would be amazed at how much the key slot in flywheel and key pocket in crank wander all over the place in those motors. If you mix and match flywheels and cranks with those motors you can get up to 2 degrees advance in timing!. Wakes um up pretty good using the right junk parts together ! Lol Lol................
Also there seems to be alot of wristpin thrust washer failure in those motors. I have not looked that close into it but maybe with a dremel and a micro burr you could add some lube pockets and channels to let the go juice hang out up there a little longer, Just a thought.........

People from New York, Think twice about posting any pics of your bang sticks! You all know where I'm coming from..................

I'm not from NY ( thank god !). I take pride in displaying my "stuff" ( including my "NFA" goodies). As for your advice on changing the hardware, i'm with you ! I bought some 304SS. Grade 10.9's for the crankcase center, and the cylinder base bolts. Cheap china bolts stretching is a prime reason many of the bolts loosen up.

Last edited:
The next quagmire the DDM velocity stack's bore was too small to fit my carb.

Not anymore. Mini mill with a boring head to the rescue, had to open up the bore about .190" to clear the choke plate.

Done.

Back to final assembly, I like to use die-electric grease on all my electrical connections. This stuff eliminates moisture intrusion which can cause all types of issues :

Some more random sealing of surfaces I think might be an issue :

Modified the clutch bell by adding additional cooling holes. I also added the Rovan clutch hub cooling fan. Should keep my clutch operating cool for temps.
https://www.kingmotorrc.com//clutch-parts/23cc-38cc-engine-high-cooling-clutch-mount/

And were DONE ! Should get it back in the chassis tomorrow and begin some break-in heat cycling.

Hope this thread helped shed some insight on how even "new" can quickly become a frustrating ordeal. Had I not torn this engine down, I about guarantee I would have had a b!tch of a time with tuning, and probably a blown crank and not known why.

Last edited:
The next quagmire the DDM velocity stack's bore was too small to fit my carb.

Not anymore. Mini mill with a boring head to the rescue, had to open up the bore about .190" to clear the choke plate.

Done.

Back to final assembly, I like to use die-electric grease on all my electrical connections. This stuff eliminates moisture intrusion which can cause all types of issues :

Some more random sealing of surfaces I think might be an issue :

And were DONE ! Should get it back in the chassis tomorrow and begin some break-in heat cycling.

Hope this thread helped shed some insight on how even "new" can quickly become a frustrating ordeal. Had I not torn this engine down, I about guarantee I would have had a b!tch of a time with tuning, and probably a blown crank and not known why.
Nice ? what's the stuff u used on the velocity stacks and intake manifold? Looks like a grease of sum sort ?

This thread will be helpful to the guys that maybe are looking to dive a little deeper into engine teardown and simple part fit assessment and reassembly and gain some real world knowledge about how to keep your weed wacker engine in top running condition. . I was not sure I needed to do this until I removed my engine and gave it a close inspection and immediately spotted some concerns. The primary concern was why the factory added Threebond type gasket sealer goop to brand new fresh gaskets. Never seen this done in any engines i've delt with. This immediately tells me that CY has NO trust in their assembly quality. There are 2 primary reasons 2 stroke engines fail : #1 is Too lean of a air/fuel mixture causing a seizure , and #2 is dirt ingestion past your air filter and usually trashing the crank bearings. To add to engine failure #1 is air leaks. Air leaks are common at the crank rubber seals and the cylinder base gasket. Engines can also suck air through the case halves but this is less common. To absolutely ensure reliable engine life and experience consistent carb tuning you need to have a AIR TIGHT engine. All the engine hop-up's in the world won't do you squat if you have an air leak(s). Obviously CY has issues with air leaks on new engines and don't want the engine blowing up the first outing for warranty consideration. Don't be afraid to tear them down and learn ! In this thread i'll cover the issues I found and simple fixes.

Issue #1) Upon a full engine disassembly I observed the flywheel inboard rubber seal was distorted. Looks like some type of bushing seal driver was used and too much force was applied and mashed one half of the seal. It was actually cocked in the bore slightly. This without a doubt could cause an air leak. You can see in the pic (sorry for slightly blurry) where half the seal is distorted. The seal is a "double lip" so chances are it would be ok but the seal probably would have worn out quickly from misalignment. Why risk all the headaches over a $3 seal ?? New crank seals on the way, and an installation tip I practice is to smear some synthetic grease inside the seal lips to help keep the seal lips from tearing upon installation , and the grease adds some sealing protection and lubrication of the rubber.

Issue #2) The crank case surfaces out of flatness. This is an area where a little elbow grease lapping surfaces pays off and helps seal surfaces. The center mating surfaces where the crank halves mate was a good fit. I gave a quick lapping on my granite surface plate using 600 emery paper and all is good. However the case surfaces where the cylinder bolts was NOT flat. If you look at the pic the dark shades in the red circles are "low spots" as much as -.0015" . This is not a lot but remember when aluminum heats up it moves around. I'll bet some of these fan cooled engines run pretty hot especially in the deep south and when crud plugs up the recoil housing intake air vents. Took me about 20 min of gentile lapping and got the surfaces flat to within .0004". Good enough. The second pic you can see a more uniformed shiny surface indication good flatness. You can do this at home if you have a granite counter top or a ceramic stove top. These surfaces are usually very flat. Use some 400 or 600 emery paper and work lightly, slowly and in "figure 8" directional motion.

That's all for now, i'm waiting on my engine gasket /seal kit. I'll update this thread as I finish assembly.
Question???
You listed Blueprinting the engine and I didn't read anything about that???
To my knowledge Blueprinting is when you weigh the motions of the engine balances the Piston + rod perfect counter the cracks rotation weight "perty much "0 " vibrations" I wanting to make a 1/5 scales Crank rotation weight, so that you can combine the Piston and rod, take or add weight too match the Cranks rotation weight so that they balance out each other neutrality...
"0 vibrations" a perfectly smooth running engine???
Correct me if I'm wrong, please... I would do this for my two stroke dirt bike engine's when I was way younger...
I took two stroke/four-stroke theory in school after the military so I'm over qualified in everything engine's...haha...
I build small engine's now because I can't do the larger ones anymore too many surgeries at the VA Hospital's and too many incorrect procedures also!!! 26 total surgeries... should be 13??? hahaha...
I think....?
This is my 2 year project due to my lastest 3 surgeries : right shoulder, right elbow/ Aolnua nerve fix, and carpal tunnel right hand...that was a hole year of recovery and tinkering...
This thread will be helpful to the guys that maybe are looking to dive a little deeper into engine teardown and simple part fit assessment and reassembly and gain some real world knowledge about how to keep your weed wacker engine in top running condition. . I was not sure I needed to do this until I removed my engine and gave it a close inspection and immediately spotted some concerns. The primary concern was why the factory added Threebond type gasket sealer goop to brand new fresh gaskets. Never seen this done in any engines i've delt with. This immediately tells me that CY has NO trust in their assembly quality. There are 2 primary reasons 2 stroke engines fail : #1 is Too lean of a air/fuel mixture causing a seizure , and #2 is dirt ingestion past your air filter and usually trashing the crank bearings. To add to engine failure #1 is air leaks. Air leaks are common at the crank rubber seals and the cylinder base gasket. Engines can also suck air through the case halves but this is less common. To absolutely ensure reliable engine life and experience consistent carb tuning you need to have a AIR TIGHT engine. All the engine hop-up's in the world won't do you squat if you have an air leak(s). Obviously CY has issues with air leaks on new engines and don't want the engine blowing up the first outing for warranty consideration. Don't be afraid to tear them down and learn ! In this thread i'll cover the issues I found and simple fixes.

Issue #1) Upon a full engine disassembly I observed the flywheel inboard rubber seal was distorted. Looks like some type of bushing seal driver was used and too much force was applied and mashed one half of the seal. It was actually cocked in the bore slightly. This without a doubt could cause an air leak. You can see in the pic (sorry for slightly blurry) where half the seal is distorted. The seal is a "double lip" so chances are it would be ok but the seal probably would have worn out quickly from misalignment. Why risk all the headaches over a $3 seal ?? New crank seals on the way, and an installation tip I practice is to smear some synthetic grease inside the seal lips to help keep the seal lips from tearing upon installation , and the grease adds some sealing protection and lubrication of the rubber.

Issue #2) The crank case surfaces out of flatness. This is an area where a little elbow grease lapping surfaces pays off and helps seal surfaces. The center mating surfaces where the crank halves mate was a good fit. I gave a quick lapping on my granite surface plate using 600 emery paper and all is good. However the case surfaces where the cylinder bolts was NOT flat. If you look at the pic the dark shades in the red circles are "low spots" as much as -.0015" . This is not a lot but remember when aluminum heats up it moves around. I'll bet some of these fan cooled engines run pretty hot especially in the deep south and when crud plugs up the recoil housing intake air vents. Took me about 20 min of gentile lapping and got the surfaces flat to within .0004". Good enough. The second pic you can see a more uniformed shiny surface indication good flatness. You can do this at home if you have a granite counter top or a ceramic stove top. These surfaces are usually very flat. Use some 400 or 600 emery paper and work lightly, slowly and in "figure 8" directional motion.

That's all for now, i'm waiting on my engine gasket /seal kit. I'll update this thread as I finish assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_20190227_160208.jpg
    IMG_20190227_160208.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 6
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks