New engine or Big Bore kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamsteren

First time poster here, and hope to get helped by the awsome knowledge i know resides here :)

I have a DBXL and i'm having fun bashing it around (untill something happens, which has been the pinion gear rattling loose the last couple of times - Even with highstrength permanent loctite).

Well the point being i think it needs a bit more power (will most likely get a Vertigo or Turtle replacement for the Bell/Clutch to fix the pinion issue), but i want an upgrade to the engine.
So what would be best for bashing?:
  • 31.5 CC Big Bore upgrade to the 23CC engine + a DDM Dominator
  • Zenoah G290RC + a DDM Dominator
My guess would be the Big Bore gives more power, but the Zenoah might be more hardy?
Thanks for any help and insight you guys can give.

I am not a fan of 30+cc big bore kits on the 2 bolt block. I had problems with gaskets leaking on the bigger thumper kits. The Zenoah G290rc is the most reliable engine in 5th scales right now. It would be plenty of power for the DBXL and a great choice IMO. Keep in mind that the 26cc and 29cc LOSI takeoff engines available at online chopshops everywhere can be had much cheaper, and just as powerful after a better carburetor swap. I was shocked at the difference the carburetor swap made in my old 5ive T with the 26cc.....

Thanks, was kinda what i figured, but always nice to hear from someone that has experience with both the 2 and 4 bolt engines.

And yeah a 29cc with a tuned pipe should be enough for the DBXL as it's not so heavy.
Sadly the online chopshops are few and far between where i live.

Was looking at the DDM deal with a Zenoah 29 + DDM pipe @ $299 (still cheaper after import taxes than buying it here)

You have to do the clutch bell mod, and problem solved.

Buy at Ace Hardware a high strength bolt, none of that cheap alloy.

Use red locktite and problem solved, had stumbled my X2 w 30.5cc, it may grenade the gear, but stays true connected to the engine.

4 bolt always, does yours have a pipe?, between a better carb, a good pipe, and set.

- Kill switch
- clean air filter
- metal carb manifold

The Zenoah 290 core is under $200.00 at DDM and all you need to do is put all the parts from the stock 23 on it to get it ready to run. Then you just need a tuned pipe. Another option, which is cheaper, is get the G320 core, with a couple parts that wont fit from the stock 23cc, for about $200.00 and run it with stock pipe. The run this setup in my DBXL and it fast and responsive, without the added noise of the tuned pipe. I can't run a tuned pipe at my local track so I had to go this route.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks