New Engine Won't Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diputs4211

Hi guys, Only just joined this site and searched but couldn't find any answers to my problem hope you can help. Just got a Rovan 260 baja with Zenoah engine in it, Followed instructions to start for the first time and nothing. Pulled spark plug and checked for spark and healthy blue flash. went to manual and reset H and L jets as described (as also advised here) and still nothing ,Plug is wet which has me stumped why it hasn't started.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
Cheers Dips

it could be a bit rich on the low end and it could be a flooded now take the plug out turn the up side down and give it a few pulls to clear the motor. put the plug back in lean the low end a bit and give it a try.

no start

i learned the hard way that you have to follow the mfg.'s instructions to a t. have a zenoa 30.5 motor which i just built. here is what i do. pump the fuel bulb 3 or 4 times then close the choke. pull the rope 2-3 times until it fires. then open choke and it usually starts on the next pull. if i pull the rope more thn once with the choke closed, floodsville for sure! hope this helps.

Did you remove the stock engine and put the Zenoah in it? Our did you mean a Zenoah look alike? Do not think the Zenoah or CY came int the Rovan. Maybe a HY.

Does it hit, pop or try to start at all? You might have flooded it. Pull the plug turn it up side down and pull the starter half a dozen times. Let it sit for a hour or so with the plug out.

Set the idle up a little and try to start it with out the choke. If it does on hit put the choke on and try to start it. If it hits or tries to start turn the choke off and try again. If it still will not start try giving a little throttle with the TX while trying to start.

another thing i could recommend is even though the spark looks good it might not be. pull the fan cover off and check the airgap between the coil and flywheel, iirc its supposed to be 0.011". if the gap is to large it will produce a spark that looks ok, however the ignition timing will be off and the spark may be weak. ive run into that before.

post a pic of it. they all look similar but im sure some others will chime in with some telltale signs. i know the current zenoah motors have a red plug boot.

if you bought the rovan new i highly doubt its a zenoah, i think only FG uses zenoahs out of the box. more than likely a CY or HY as somebody said.

yep, if it was a zen it would have zenoah wrote on the base of the cylinder on the clutch side. if you bought it new then it is an HY. they don't last long in my experience. ive had one year back, the carb fouled right away and then the head gasket went. all within the first tank. i trashed it and went to a cy i had laying around and eventually went all 4-bolt, as 2-bolts go to leaking around the base gasket soon and eventually blow out if using paper gasket. cy has the stroke and bore size casted in the head on the side of the base on the intake side. not sure if hy does the same thing but i think ive heard that they don't. so if there is no size casted there then it is a hy for sure cause cy does this for sure and zen will be casted on a zen head.

Well guys heres the update. Did what was suggested pulled the plug turn upside down and pulled starter a few times,even pulled the fuel line out and pumped bulb to empty out as much fuel where possilbe. She started without priming,idle over few about a minute then died would start again. Checked H and L mixes and were where they should be. Tried the same way again and no start,Am I doing something wrong ?

I have had some engines to start and keep them running I had to lean out the LSN just a little and idle it up a bit. My race ported 30.5 I built was a real pain to get started the first time but it has much higher compression then a stock engine.

My next engine will be a 4 bolt all ready collecting parts. I have 4, 2 bolt motors and to this point (might change tomorrow) have not had a problem with any of them including my stock engine with well over 7 gallons on it. On the other three I built I torque all engine fasteners to factory specifications. If you over torque the cylinder bolts you good chance you will warp it and too loose the bolts will come out.

I will say if you are going to buy or build another engine go 4 bolt. Most of the engines I have where right before or just after they came out with 4 bolt engines and did not make a 36mm cylinder yet.

Sorry to say I read a lot of the HY carbs giving problems. If this is the case replace it with a true Walbor like comes on a Zen or CY.

OK New update. Got it started and let it idle for awhile with a few minor squirts of throttle and went fine in backyard. Stopped let it cool down and repeated process,same thing as first time. Third time let it run around backyard with no more than half throttle and did fine then when it was hot revs picked up a bit so I turned the idle screw down a fraction and she died. Is that normal or did I try doing too much while running in period ?

OK New update. Got it started and let it idle for awhile with a few minor squirts of throttle and went fine in backyard. Stopped let it cool down and repeated process,same thing as first time. Third time let it run around backyard with no more than half throttle and did fine then when it was hot revs picked up a bit so I turned the idle screw down a fraction and she died. Is that normal or did I try doing too much while running in period ?

Just set the needles rich and run it in, after that you can tune it for performance

orry outtaluck not sure if you understood when I said idle went up. The idle went up on its own and just before I screwed the idle screw down the revs were pretty high almost half throttle at a guess.

When the engine idles inconsistently its a sign thats theirs an airleak somewhere, first check the manifold and carbie are tight.....
You also say the baja is brand new so why don't you contact the seller and see what they can do ? It should be their problem not yours!

If you lived in Melbourne i would help you sought it out no problem

i know. just kiddin around. although, ive had one and it ended up the same way this fella's is going. you can look at the casting and tell the quality is low with this clone engines. anyways, that is why i have gotten away from 2-bolts altogether. definitely less of those kinda problems with the 4-bolts. but, aside, i was just kidding around.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks