New engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALIC

Hi all,

I was just thinking of getting a new engine from onb so i run into this:

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...mod-zenoah-4-bolt-30-5cc-engine-long-rod.html

I am not sure if thats the right engine for my monster beetle as i want a low end power or mybi an all rounder(not sure which is better) What do u guys think?...

Also i wasnt sure what is needed to be done for the zenoah clutch to fit this engine? Theres some info in the bottom of the advert but tbh i didnt understand it.

I have emailed onb but got no answer so mybi u guys can help.

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Howdy.

1. I'd try again to contact them - from what I've read, they normally contact without problem. If not, try contacting Dave's for the same advice - they definitely get back to you pronto.
2. I'll be shot for this, as I like POWER as well, but are you sure you want that much power? Sounds a daft question, but a good G290, or even a well tuned and broken in G260RC are good engines, and reliable as well - not saying your selection won't be, but 7bhp sounds a tad powerful .... !!!

I remember reading a car road test article years ago, which stated that sometimes you can increase the engine's power, and the car's no fun any more - instead of easing into corners, quick dab on the brakes, onto power again, you're having to slam on the anchors 'cause it's hammering into the corner so damned fast!!
Just a thought.

Al.

U know what... U might b right. 7hp is alot. I had a ported 28.5 on my baja nd was great at first, but then i got used to the power and in no time it looked slow.. I was first looking at the prostock but then i thought adding £70 extra 2hp is tempting. I think the 5hp with a samba pipe would be great?

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...5hp-prostock-zenoah-4-bolt-30-5cc-engine.html

I do want the 4 bolt as i have bin told its a very good and reliable engine and theres a good choice of upgrading kits available for the 4 bolt...

Hi all,

I was just thinking of getting a new engine from onb so i run into this:

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...mod-zenoah-4-bolt-30-5cc-engine-long-rod.html

I am not sure if thats the right engine for my monster beetle as i want a low end power or mybi an all rounder(not sure which is better) What do u guys think?...

Also i wasnt sure what is needed to be done for the zenoah clutch to fit this engine? Theres some info in the bottom of the advert but tbh i didnt understand it.

I have emailed onb but got no answer so mybi u guys can help.

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.
hi , ive noticed not many people put obr's in fg's.
ive started a video thread in the fg marder section 'FG MARDER' thats a obr fm, but the smaller 27.2cc. youd probably want more torque.
also check the 28.5cc oddified bug thread.

ps, the easy way i got through to sean at obr was through their youtube channel, ive never emailed the shop.
i think if your going to spend that sort of cash,and choose to go with obr, go for the fullmod or fullmod longrod. if its too much,turn the dual rate down on the transmitter until you get used to it.
to be truthful, the pipe will be the biggest factor in the power delivery,rpm's.
regarding the clutch,just take the clutch housing off the old engine .
but it should go straight in.

Last edited:
ive started a video thread in the fg marder section 'FG MARDER' thats a obr fm, but the smaller 27.2cc. youd probably want more torque.

ps, the easy way i got through to sean at obr was through their youtube channel, ive never emailed the shop.
i think if your going to spend that sort of cash,and choose to go with obr, go for the fullmod or fullmod longrod. if its too much,turn the dual rate down on the transmitter until you get used to it.
to be truthful, the pipe will be the biggest factor in the power delivery,rpm's.

hyper its a 29.5cc oddie bug mate don't forget the extra 1cc that makes all the difference lol

7hp is more than enough mate if you need any more than that then fair play mate im running a heavy full alloy fg bug with around 7hp and i don't want or need any more,im also running wider rear wheels and tyres which help

hyper its a 29.5cc oddie bug mate don't forget the extra 1cc that makes all the difference lol

7hp is more than enough mate if you need any more than that then fair play mate im running a heavy full alloy fg bug with around 7hp and i don't want or need any more,im also running wider rear wheels and tyres which help
oh yeh, im sorry mate , my mistake.lol.

yes, that why i need a 7hp engine is becasue my beetle will be full alloy in the end of the week hopfully....

as for now, am just saving up for this engine.

Btw guys, what type of exhaust are you running? i need a low end pipe but i cant find any??? DDM do a low end pipe but from the pictures i think the twin wheelie bar will gets in its way as the pipe gose to the mid and that will cause problems... (i think)

Has any 1 used samba in MT/Mb? what do u think of this:

http://modelcargo.com/main.php?mod=page&num=34&dep=samba

Last edited:

Thanks for your advise...

av been running Obr 28.5 cc full ported in my Fg baja for 2 years now, and i love it.. its just when you get used to the power u crave more :lol:

yes, that why i need a 7hp engine is becasue my beetle will be full alloy in the end of the week hopfully....

as for now, am just saving up for this engine.

Btw guys, what type of exhaust are you running? i need a low end pipe but i cant find any??? DDM do a low end pipe but from the pictures i think the twin wheelie bar will gets in its way as the pipe gose to the mid and that will cause problems... (i think)

Has any 1 used samba in MT/Mb? what do u think of this:

http://modelcargo.com/main.php?mod=page&num=34&dep=samba
my mate has the fg samba on his marder, swapped it for a jetpro.. both great pipes but the fg dominator is pure beast, im so impressed with the power from take off to top rpms, massive power boost!! and that was the topend pipe, i couldnt believe the torque it produced.but i haven't seen what its like on the fullmods.was on a stock engine.
personally id build my car around the pipe/engine( but thats just my opinion, asthetics arnt that important )

Thanks for your advise...

av been running Obr 28.5 cc full ported in my Fg baja for 2 years now, and i love it.. its just when you get used to the power u crave more :lol:
hi, did you end up getting a tuned engine?
i noticed you say youve had a 28.5cc fully modded motor from obr, if thats so then the only real difference is the long rod shaft, the porting is the same i think. obr can do the upgrade. there wont be huge noticable difference between a 28.5 and 30.5. so it could save you money and still quoted as having 7hp.( forget the hp figures, these engines rip as you know)

get hold of sonic on msuk forum,he runs obr uk and can give great price.i got mine through him last year, i mailed sean for the engine specs and what i wanted, also he didnt mind me getting it cheaper through sonic.so i got an engine speecc what i needed,and they lost out on some profit so i could get it cheaper... lol, win win situation for me!!! brilliant customer service. i chose to buy from across the other side of the earth,very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi hyper, sorry for my late reply.. The 28.5cc was just ported not fully moded.... But it was still very fast and reliable. I had brought the 30 cc Fully moded with long rod about 2 weeks ago and i should get it 2mora as it had to clear the bloody customs. I cant wait to fit it in!

Last edited:
Finally got it ! heres the engine:

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

I noticed that it was a chokeless carb? is there any diffrence in starting it to choke carb? advantages?

yes,obr do 990 carbs with their fullmod beasts, i prime the bulb, pull the trigerr 3 times and it fires up. if not take filter off and plug hole with finger like a choke.these carbs have better flow and better bottom end,a bit harder to find sweet spot tho'. did you get the carb modded with the shorter pop off spring.
these engines are sometimes hard to start when new,mine flooded for first 2 tanks but now its fine.
another thingis, the pipe you get is going to make a huge impact on the engine. these obrs normally go into hpi bajas etc,so not alot on the net suggesting pipes.
my jetpro works great,but i think a victory thats made for obr fullmods give great power but the pro is a topender.maybe a fg dom for torque.
after spending a huge amount on this engine you might want take your time and make the right decision.
these fullmods are great in the little fg's.i put another obr fg video in the marder section.
what size engine is it? you can upgrade to longrod for slightly more power and rpms later if wanted.
you will be very happy with the performance as long as you get a good pipe that suits the obr.
pm me if any problems
my youtube channel is linzitazim, plenty of fg and obr vids

Thanks for the detailed info hyper. This engine is 30.5cc full mod with long rod. I did spent alot of time seaching for a suitable pipe for the engine but didnt find alot of info. Obr had the victory for the mt but was out of stock when i brought this engine. I also didnt want to cut the shell on the beetle so in the end i decided to settle with the ddm top end unsilenced. I hope it will work great with this engine.

As for my beetle, is still not ready yet to fit this engine in as still have all the electrics/servos/hydro brakes and the super bee to fit. So il just take my time as i don't want to rush doing it incase i make a mistake :S

I will defo check out ur youtube channel! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Finally got it ! heres the engine:

I noticed that it was a chokeless carb? is there any diffrence in starting it to choke carb? advantages?

I have the OBR 30.5 3mmLR 7hp and it need atleast 4 tanks thru it before it reaches its full potential

No choke required just prime it well and its very easy to start .......

The 990 wt carb is basically a chokeless 668

Troy

O'Neill Brothers Racinglogo.png

Engine Break-in Procedure

New engine break-in procedure

1. Take it easy on the engine for the first two tanks

2. Heat cycle twice, run the engine for 20 minutes and let it fully cool down
3. We recommend 91 octane fuel, mixed at 25:1 Our preffered oil is Castor 927
4. Let your engine warm up before driving
5. Try to vary the rpms during breaking.
5. DO NOT HOLD FULL THROTTLE UNTIL THE ENGINE IS COMPLETELY BROKEN IN!!!
7. Do not use octane booster

hi, have you been running the engine in? don't go too mad but don't be afraid either..you will need to get some heat in there to seat that ring..
i did one tank , various revs and stopped twice to let it cool down.the 2nd tank i was giving it more, trying to get some higher revs. 3rd tank i went all out wot..
some people say take it easy,some people advise to go hard from the start , they say the harder you run it inj,the harder it will run..

i took it a bit easy on the first run but i had the bonus that ian oddie had run it in on the dyno but he recomended to take it easy for the first couple of tanks which i have done upto now but from now on im driving it like its stolen and going to a 32/1 mix

Still building it mate. Av bin working alot lately so not enough time to complete it. And the alloy servo tray is a pain in the ass when trying to fit the rhino digi 4 in there. I really want to finsh it and run the engine in just no time :(

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks