New guy break in question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxRC

So my new 5ive t shows up tomorrow and I plan on breaking it in if it arrives early enough. So my question is the factory says 25:1 on the mix but I see a lot of people running as much as 31:1. Is that something you do after break in or are you guys starting there? Been reading lots of forums and watching lots of vids but any tips for a new guy breaking in his first gasser are appreciated.

I've had not one engine failure following the factory Losi method and 25:1 mix. No reason for me to deviate. After a tank or 2 I tuned for power and whoa' baby!!! It'll come alive with the tuned pipe.

Engine will be at its tightest when new.
25:1 has more oil per unit petrol than 31:1.
Oil is needed to lubricate, particularly a new engine.

BOTTOM LINE:
Stick with 25:1.
Drive up to half throttle only for half a tank, then start giving it some beans ... as some say ... but stay off full for prolonged periods until you've at least finished the first tank.
Second tank, more of the same.
3rd tank, onwards, warm it up, tune the engine for optimum power, GIVE IT THE BEANS!!

ENJOY!!

JEALOUS? MOI?

Too right mate!!
Al.

I agree with Atom. However, I would time your initial break in to 15-20 increments. These things run for about 45 min on a tank and that is too long for initial heat cycling. This is what I would do:
  • Gas mixed at 25:1
  • Set your carb 1 1/2 out on the high speed needle and 1 1/4 on the low. Use the low speed needle to fine tune your idle. I would also richen your high slightly during break in.
  • Make sure your carb is primed
  • Slowly pull your starter about 5-6 time(primes engine)
  • Start it up and let the engine warm up for a couple minutes. Make your fine idle adjustment during this time.
  • Drive it around low throttle for 15-20 min. Shut it off and let it cool back down.
  • Start it up again after cooling and do the same thing, but no more than 1/2 throttle. Let it cool again.
  • Start it up and do it again.
  • 4th heat cycle you can open it up a little more. Give her some full throttle, but not WFO.
  • You can do one or two more if you are nervous. Not going to hurt anything.
After break in, you can run 28:1. I wouldn't go leaner then that. These engine run high rpm so they need that oil mixture. These are not like tuning nitro. You can't just lean them out to get performance. There is a sweet spot around 1 1/2 turns out on the high and 1 1/4 on the low. If you go lean, it will pop and sputter. Too Rich and it will bog. And don't tune off of plug color. I see too many people try and use that method. I've even tried it. The problem is you can foul plugs on the high end and the low rpm. These engines run at such varying rpms, it will not give you an accurate reading. It is unreliable. Go off of performance and sound. I think that about covers the basics.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks