New here....have one question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricrc68

Hey guys. So I'm looking into getting my very first 1/5 scale gasser. I've always wanted something that has the sound and smell of a real engine (I've been in electrics so far) and gassers seem to be a lot easier than a nitro. So thats what I'm looking into! Before I buy though, I have a question about places to run these things. I'm 100% certain it will be too loud for around the neighborhood, and I have a 1/5 scale track I will go to. But for days where I don't want to go too far and want to just get in a quick run, will school parking lots/school fields be a good place to run without disturbing anyone? When its empty, of course. What do you guys say? Where do you guys usually run?

You just have to be sensible about it. School fields / car parks / local waste ground / parks are fine so long as you have space but if you start attracting a crowd who wont keep their distance you have to be responsible enough to pack up and either move somewhere else or just call it a day.

Oh and fit a remote kill switch such as the Superbee from Killer RC so you can kill the engine via the handset if something goes wrong. A runaway is a frightening experience on its own without it being in an occupied space.

+1 on all of the reply above.
I run mine outside my house - I have no houses opposite, just a little driveway and some grass and trees - very limited, but good enough for 20 minutes or so.
If children start getting too inquisitive, I kill the engine, with the Superbee remotely.
By the way, in User CP, you can insert your location, this will help people to help you.
Welcome to LSF.
Al.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely get the kill switch. Oh and I just updated my location. Anyone know of anywhere to run thats near me? Or is there a place where people near me usually meet to run?

I haven't seriously thought about a 1/5 scale, but now I'm longing for a 1/5 scale again, but the doubt of upkeep prices is keeping me away.

The thing is, I'm only 16 and have a VERY limited budget of money I can spend. Right now, I'm in the process of selling off my other RC cars for a 1/5 scale gasser. Basically, the only rc car I am keeping is my Axial SCX10. If I do get the gasser, these will be my only two rc cars since I'm 99% sure that all my funds will be going towards the Baja (as long as the SCX10 is in good shape). I really want something that makes noise, smoke, and smell but the electrics just don't do that which is all I've dealt with. I would also be using the 1/5 for racing and light bashing wherever I can find. Not even competitive racing...just for fun. Basically, just running around the track with others and no real intentions of trying to win. I have no clue what it is, but theres just this huge appeal for me to these gas burning, big cars even if I feel like I can't afford it. It must be my love for full scale cars. Yes, electric is fun, but it doesn't have that real feeling to it. So what do you guys think? Anyone want to share their experience on owning a 1/5 scale vehicle and what the upkeep costs are like? I'll most probably end up with one anyway though because I mean come on...its a large scale!!! :D

Last edited:
Well the hobby is not cheap at all and its even more expensive for large scale that just goes with the hobby so you will have to ask yourself if you can afford the up keep and the breakage of large scale. If its going to take 99% of your funds just to buy the baja then you might be setting yourself up for disappointment when you will have to save to upgrade or replace worn out or broken parts. Most large scale owners I am sure will tell you they have more in the car then the initial purchase over time.

Well the hobby is not cheap at all and its even more expensive for large scale that just goes with the hobby so you will have to ask yourself if you can afford the up keep and the breakage of large scale. If its going to take 99% of your funds just to buy the baja then you might be setting yourself up for disappointment when you will have to save to upgrade or replace worn out or broken parts. Most large scale owners I am sure will tell you they have more in the car then the initial purchase over time.

Oh okay thanks. Hmm...I'll have to think then. I mean I have to spend 99% of my funds on any RC I buy anyway, so thats also a consideration. The only difference is that the price for parts on those other RC's are less than a large scale.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks